6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

windscreen wiper update

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, Wanted to bring your attention to a problem i have had in the last couple of weeks. My wipers stopped working, well they didnt stop working they would move into they upper position but would not return. So at first i thought if they go up then at least the motors working. When i phoned the dealer they said the only problem they have had with the wipers on an e60 was the relay. So i ordered a relay which is only about ?10. But i thought i would go in for a look and see the motor. The e60 motor is sold as what bmw call a console which includes the linkage. What really surprised me when i looked in was the condition of the linkage compared to the rest of the vehicle, rust and corrosion. I will upload a pic.
Anyway i am sure now that something is slipping and it requires a new motor with linkage. How bmw can say that they have not sold any is a miracle. If your vehicle is under warranty then dont worry but if its out of warranty and you let the dealers do the job you are going to be looking at ?400.

Have a look

windscreen wiper update-dsc02476.jpg
windscreen wiper update-dsc02477.jpg
Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

80k miles and 4 years old in humid Florida and have nothing close to that. Is this car sitting outside all the time? There are no service bulletins whatsover on this system so this is a very rare issue indeed.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Members

Yes, it is sitting out all the time. However, it seems to be in a lot worse condition than the rest of the car.
Love Florida been there the last 7 years holidays. Stayed at the Portofino in Universal last year and it was brilliant. Very jealous of your weather.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='770151' date='Jan 17 2009, 08:16 AM
Yes, it is sitting out all the time. However, it seems to be in a lot worse condition than the rest of the car.
Love Florida been there the last 7 years holidays. Stayed at the Portofino in Universal last year and it was brilliant. Very jealous of your weather.

Cheers
I used to get to Glasgow once or twice a year but stopped in 2004 when I retired. I loved it there as well. Used to take trains around the country and would try to do the Pipe and Drum (Tattoo?) festivals every year in Edinburgh if my timing was right (which I did control )

I guess with your shorter warranties something like what you have is certainly a money issue. I have a 100k mile/6 year warranty (paid for the additional miles over 50k). It has been good for o=piece of mind, but have not had any expensive issues, yet.