6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Want OEM looking LED license lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know...pics coming soon of the finished and installed result.

Basically - I try not to do much with aftermarket 'ricer' LED's - but I knew that somehow I wanted to get LED's for my license plate lights.

So I ordered a set that go on an E90 (fits right in an E60 BTW) and MADE them fit, haha.

The two problems you will encounter are:

a) You need to not have errors
b) The hole for the stock light assemblies are much longer and a bit wider.

But being determined to get as close to an OEM look as possible I carried on.

I do not have pics of the modification process, unfortunately, but all you need to do is gut-out your old light boxes. Start by removing them from the car, take out the bulb, use a knife to release the glue on the lens (careful not to break, bend or otherwise deform the assembly), and cut the backing off of the light housing so only the frame and about 1/2 inch of plastic remain. One you have done this, the E90 LED's fit right inside. At this point you can either glue them in or plastic weld, I chose the latter because it felt like a more permanent bond. Now that you have a complete unit, you need to address error codes - 5W ceramic resistors to the rescue. It took some ingenuity to do all the wiring and adapt the stock interface to the E90 lights, but once all was done it went in perfect and error free and looks completely OEM.

I was inspired to do this because I have seen 3, yes 3, cars near my house with fake LED's that are too blue and look completely like crap - I mean awful.

I will take a pic in the next day or two and attempt to post it here - but basically imagine a license plate that is lit up with a white LED light, subtle and effective and sets off zero errors. I do not know if they strobe to be honest, I haven't bothered trying to see.

I seriously doubt anyone here would be interested, but I would be happy to build anyone interested a plug-and-play set of these. I would do it for actual cost of parts, I do not want to profit from this - I just get really bored sometimes...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Cost, pictures?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Still working on the pics, but the cost would be the 2 OEM LED housings, maybe 50USD for the pair, and of course the demolition of your old housings. Basically if I were to do it for you I could order the parts locally, but I would need your housings and that means no lights on your plate until you get them back - may not be a good idea. But, if you get the parts, I can walk you through, it takes maybe 2 hours if you have a dremel.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

+1 for OEM LED plate lights

another good DIY for an adapter is:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=752993

pics here:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=789456

^this seems a bit easier, as there's no modifying of any light housing...just put together the adapter, then plug and play...either way...looking forwad to pics of your set-up as well
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Members

No need to go to all the trouble of making adapters and what not.

I used BMW part # 63 26 7 193 294

The only modification needed is to grind away a bit of plastic in the socket. You will see what needs removed when you put both light side by side. It took me about 30 seconds with a dremel to do.

I only installed one light and have another on order to do the other side as I didnt want to spend $$ on something that may not work.

Here are pics of the light output.

Stock on the left and OEM LED on the right.

Want OEM looking LED license lights?-645_led_.jpg
Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Brilliant! I will be ordering those right away - thanks for the part number, I didn't know such a thing existed.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 525xdat Exclusive Edition. Platinum Bronze, Tobacco Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Bamboo wood. Comfort Package, Advantage Package, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Sport Steering Wheel, Heated Steering wheel, Mirrors with Auto Dimming, Extended Interior Light Package, Extended Storage, Head up, Lane Departure Warning, USB, Bluetooth, Navigation Professional (with hard drive), Voice Control, BMW Individual Audio System ,Adaptive Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Seat heating rear (and front),auxiliary heating, Airbags rear side, Electric Towbar. BMW Individual Tinted Rear Windows.

Originally Posted by Spiff' post='1064169' date='Nov 28 2009, 11:53 PM
No need to go to all the trouble of making adapters and what not.

I used BMW part # 63 26 7 193 294

The only modification needed is to grind away a bit of plastic in the socket. You will see what needs removed when you put both light side by side. It took me about 30 seconds with a dremel to do.

I only installed one light and have another on order to do the other side as I didnt want to spend $$ on something that may not work.

Here are pics of the light output.

Stock on the left and OEM LED on the right.

Attachment 95173

Will this led light fit both LCI and pre LCI models whitout error codes?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Members

My Ride:
Originally Posted by iCharles' post='1051528' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:45 AM
I know, I know...pics coming soon of the finished and installed result.

Basically - I try not to do much with aftermarket 'ricer' LED's - but I knew that somehow I wanted to get LED's for my license plate lights.

So I ordered a set that go on an E90 (fits right in an E60 BTW) and MADE them fit, haha.

The two problems you will encounter are:

a) You need to not have errors
b) The hole for the stock light assemblies are much longer and a bit wider.

But being determined to get as close to an OEM look as possible I carried on.

I do not have pics of the modification process, unfortunately, but all you need to do is gut-out your old light boxes. Start by removing them from the car, take out the bulb, use a knife to release the glue on the lens (careful not to break, bend or otherwise deform the assembly), and cut the backing off of the light housing so only the frame and about 1/2 inch of plastic remain. One you have done this, the E90 LED's fit right inside. At this point you can either glue them in or plastic weld, I chose the latter because it felt like a more permanent bond. Now that you have a complete unit, you need to address error codes - 5W ceramic resistors to the rescue. It took some ingenuity to do all the wiring and adapt the stock interface to the E90 lights, but once all was done it went in perfect and error free and looks completely OEM.

I was inspired to do this because I have seen 3, yes 3, cars near my house with fake LED's that are too blue and look completely like crap - I mean awful.

I will take a pic in the next day or two and attempt to post it here - but basically imagine a license plate that is lit up with a white LED light, subtle and effective and sets off zero errors. I do not know if they strobe to be honest, I haven't bothered trying to see.

I seriously doubt anyone here would be interested, but I would be happy to build anyone interested a plug-and-play set of these. I would do it for actual cost of parts, I do not want to profit from this - I just get really bored sometimes...
I done this mod and did not have to use any resistors. All good on my car.
Attached Thumbnails Want OEM looking LED license lights?-026.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='1064369
Will this led light fit both LCI and pre LCI models whitout error codes?
I'm not familiar with what the cut off date for the LCI and pre LCI models are, but I have a 2005 645 Convertible and I can tell you it works without any error codes.

Here is a pic on my car and rims.

Want OEM looking LED license lights?-645_new_rims.jpg
Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Stone Face, post some more pix! Car looks great.

Quick Reply: Want OEM looking LED license lights?