6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Under design for suspension system???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 630i as well as run a workshop myself. Lately i found that my car (as well as few of my customer's car) is having a problem i.e. the bolt and nut that used to align the toe for the rear wheels is too small as it breaks very easily. Well, some of those people i met may said it is over tightened but this nut is to tie the suspension arm how can it not be tight... therefore i write this post to see is it that the suspension system for this car as well as others E60 is under design or is it necessary for BMW to recall all cars for this problem... Please advise guys. Here attached is the diagram for that particular nut (which i had highlighted it with circle and arrow)Under design for suspension system???-scan0002.jpg... Check the attached file for better understanding.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Hmmm, no problem here at 76k milies. I do autox now and then and a lot of twisty road driving at VERY aggressive speeds when I am able (twisty roads are sooooo far away) and never had an indication of any problem. But I have to admit I do not run into very rough roads here in Florida and most places I go. Maybe its the pounding from rough roads that brings out this weakness if it indeed is one. I did not look at REALOEM parts, but I wonder if it has undergone some revisions or may have been a bad manufacturing batch at one time. Is there any coorelation to build dates that you can tell?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributors

mine broke but i believe that was due to when i had my springs installed, the shop used an impact wrench to tighten the bult which weakens it and causes it to break. anyway, dealer replaced all bolts and tightened with a torque wrench. everything fine so far.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

wow thats nuts, never came across that problem on my car either.. knock on wood... picture is kinda of unclear... roger any more details on which bolts to check etc... kinda scary... lol
Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Contributors

no idea which bolt it was exactly but i can ask my service guy to get the exact bolt. it's what holds the strut in place. Where i got my springs installed they used an impact wrench which weakened the bolt. after that it was just a matter of time until it broke. NEVER EVER EVER let anyone near your car without a proper torque wrench! if it's wheel bolts or anything else. I had all suspension parts replaced which BMW did for free actually. I only paid for time and not even that. Sent the invoice to the place that put the springs in and they reimbursed me for it.