6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Transmission problem, something major went wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)
Smile

My poooor baby, just finished getting towed to BMW dealership

Problem... few times in the past car would rev up, not catch the gear , and all of sudden BAM into gear. I brought it up with BMW once or twice they couldnt reproduce the problem. Well I sure hope they can this time rofl...

So Im driving, and BANG i hear the tranny slam into gear and out... rpms kept climbing.. im like wtf... turn it off, do tranny reset, put it in drive nothing, turn off dsc, nothing, put it in reverse, bang bang bang! i thought something was going to go flying off the tranny or rearend. Sadly enough, had to call tow truck and have her towed It better be covered under cpo else im going to be PISSSSED. Lets see what happens tomm :@ wish me luck!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Members

My Ride: CLS55 AMG

Originally Posted by tbal' post='908883' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:15 AM

Problem... few times in the past car would rev up, not catch the gear , and all of sudden BAM into gear. I brought it up with BMW once or twice they couldnt reproduce the problem. Well I sure hope they can this time rofl...

So Im driving, and BANG i hear the tranny slam into gear and out... rpms kept climbing.. im like wtf... turn it off, do tranny reset, put it in drive nothing, turn off dsc, nothing, put it in reverse, bang bang bang! i thought something was going to go flying off the tranny or rearend. Sadly enough, had to call tow truck and have her towed It better be covered under cpo else im going to be PISSSSED. Lets see what happens tomm :@ wish me luck!
should be warrantied...probably has something to do with the new motor they put in
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Contributors

That is definitely an indication your transmission is about to or has failed. You are still under CPO warranty and the issue should be carefully and completely documented in BMW's service record so if the worse case comes after warranty it should still be covered. If you read the Roundel and follow posts here you'll see that BMW automatics are about as reliable as promises that come out of a politicians mouth!

That is a sad, but true, commentary.

If BMW is to lead the pack in engineering excellence this must be addressed. Not everyone can or wants to drive a manual transmission car.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Sorry to hear your problem and hope everything will work out soon
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by tbal' post='908883' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:15 AM

Hope everything works out, bro! Keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Contributors

I hope they dont say I was abusing the car because all the tires on it are at about 30% lol... Thats how I bought the wheels/tires...

I will keep you all posted. It was the first time I used the "SOS" button, was pretty cool lol. When the car was in P, it kept rolling as if it was in N. Tranny bye bye?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Members

Ouch. That sucks man. Hopefully its covered and they fix it for you under waranty.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 760li

Originally Posted by tbal' post='909332' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:32 AM
I hope they dont say I was abusing the car because all the tires on it are at about 30% lol... Thats how I bought the wheels/tires...

I will keep you all posted. It was the first time I used the "SOS" button, was pretty cool lol. When the car was in P, it kept rolling as if it was in N. Tranny bye bye?
it doesnt matter if the tires have 30 or 90% tread left. they can only blame the tires if you didnt have enough grip and hit something and damaged suspension parts. the tranny has nothing to do with how much tread you have.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Low tread, can they say I was doing peel outs, driving aggressive, thats why the tranny took a dump?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 760li

Originally Posted by tbal' post='909594' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:52 PM
Low tread, can they say I was doing peel outs, driving aggressive, thats why the tranny took a dump?
so if you drive like a granny your tires would never get bald?

Quick Reply: Transmission problem, something major went wrong!