6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

tire blown, twice now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

get some spacers dude!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Clearly looks as though there is something rubbing on the inner area of the sidewall while driving. I bet it it happening when you hit dips in the road and the suspension flexes down and a slight rub occurs. Over time it wears down, down, down........ then BOOM!

You might try 285's instead of 295's to avoid this.
I was leaning towards 285/30 to thicken up the side wall, but the 285 would just narrow the sidewall. So it comes out almost the same as 295/25, same threading, just less stretch on the 295. I'll double check the inner..

Originally Posted by turboawd
it looks like those tires are too narrow for the rim. and if you run the pressure low, the sidewalls probably heat up.

what psi you running in the tires? how wide are the rims?
I was running 34-36, I was getting different advice, some say run 40 so the air stays balance.

Originally Posted by skunkd
get some spacers dude!
Wheels are custom made, made for the car, no spacers needed. I'm pretty sure my suspension is saggin lil more than it's suppose to. Note to self, do not drive 2 hefty size girls in the back seat of the 6.. lol...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

all i'm saying is that spacers would help if something is actually rubbing on the inside. (on top of making your cars stance more aggressive) something to consider if you are left with no other options. maybe you could even fit 305/25/20's with some spacers.

i run 40psi all around to protect my wheels, this is pretty much standard unless you plan on tracking the car or driving in snow.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how wide are the rims?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

I believe they are 11's
Old 04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

those rims are awefully big and wide for that car.
you're running a narrow tire on that rim, and with the short sidewall, it makes it worse. i think going to a 285 is going to be worse.

you're streching the tires on those rims, and you definetly need to keep the air pressure very high on those tires, so that the sidewalls dont flex anymore and heat up and blow.

can you go 295/30?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
those rims are awefully big and wide for that car.
you're running a narrow tire on that rim, and with the short sidewall, it makes it worse. i think going to a 285 is going to be worse.

you're streching the tires on those rims, and you definetly need to keep the air pressure very high on those tires, so that the sidewalls dont flex anymore and heat up and blow.

can you go 295/30?
I'm not sure if i can do 295/30, but i went ahead and ordered me some Falkens. The toyo tires were recommended cause I wanted to drop the car all the way down (tires stretch and round off at the rim), now that i've blown 2 tires, it's time to raise it up and the Falkens will hopefully thicken up. I'll make sure to run at least 40 psi this time around. Hope it all works out, if not, im getting myself a minivan.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Falkens run a bit wider than the toyo's. Toyo are more comfortable and grip better though. I had all toyo's prior to switching to my falkens but for the price i won't complain for the bit of lost grip, (easier to powerslide anyway lol thats a plus sometimes)

good luck with this fitment seriously though spacers before you consider a minivan!!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skunkd
Falkens run a bit wider than the toyo's. Toyo are more comfortable and grip better though. I had all toyo's prior to switching to my falkens but for the price i won't complain for the bit of lost grip, (easier to powerslide anyway lol thats a plus sometimes)

good luck with this fitment seriously though spacers before you consider a minivan!!
I see where you're going with the spacers but my rims are flush with the fender. Spacers will definitely push my rim out pass the fender, and I don't think that look will look right on a 6. Maybe on a 89 honda accord, but lets see how these falkens work out. thanks for the advice!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by suppers
I see where you're going with the spacers but my rims are flush with the fender. Spacers will definitely push my rim out pass the fender, and I don't think that look will look right on a 6. Maybe on a 89 honda accord, but lets see how these falkens work out. thanks for the advice!

yea I'd rather not see you in a minivan np !

Quick Reply: tire blown, twice now...