5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   6 Series Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/6-series-discussion-27/)
-   -   Fixing problems and upgrading iDrive software (https://5series.net/forums/6-series-discussion-27/fixing-problems-upgrading-idrive-software-90394/)

MoeMonney 12-07-2009 06:58 AM

Hello,

We have a constant issue with our 05 645i since it was bought. The Dynamic drive message comes on from time to time and it says it has a problem. The car is in spanish, i dont know exactly what the english message says but in Spanish its Control Dynamico Perturbado. After 9 visits to the dealership they havent been able to fix the problem. Also it displays the high battery discharge message from time to time. From what I understand these problems could possibly be fixed though a software upgrade. How do I know whats the latest version of software available and how tell if it has been changed when I ask them to do it at the dealership? Thanks! Located in Cancun Mexico.

cobradav 12-07-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MoeMonney' post='1069242' date='Dec 7 2009, 10:58 AM
Hello,

We have a constant issue with our 05 645i since it was bought. The Dynamic drive message comes on from time to time and it says it has a problem. The car is in spanish, i dont know exactly what the english message says but in Spanish its Control Dynamico Perturbado. After 9 visits to the dealership they havent been able to fix the problem. Also it displays the high battery discharge message from time to time. From what I understand these problems could possibly be fixed though a software upgrade. How do I know whats the latest version of software available and how tell if it has been changed when I ask them to do it at the dealership? Thanks! Located in Cancun Mexico.

Latest is ISTA/P 2.35.4 released in mid November but I suspect there might be a newer version - but you dont really care. BMWAG recommends to its dealers worldwide that they only update using the newest version and in fact complained that USA dealers were slow to always use the newest. Have no idea how Mexican dealers deal with this but suspect they try to follow AG instructions.

Ask for a copy of the MEASURES Plan or FINAL Report. Either of these documents should give you the old and new versions, however they may use the Target Data Status numbers and not ISTA/P number (I think the new diagnostic software will print both but am not sure. In any case those numbers should be different and with a little translation we should be able to piece together the info on your previous version.

I am a little surprised your dealer says software issue, however, as it usually is a sensor or low hydraulic fluid for a Dynamic Drive issue. But maybe he saw something else.

MoeMonney 12-08-2009 05:03 PM

Thank you very much for your help and detailed reply. I passed this information to the dealer and the main offices for BMW in Mexico and im waiting reply as to what they will be doing. Although the software may not be the issue with the dynamic drive i would still like them to upgrade to the newer iDrive software. Ill be updating soon.

Thanks Again!

kgmccarthy 12-08-2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='1069366' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:43 PM
Ask for a copy of the MEASURES Plan or FINAL Report. Either of these documents should give you the old and new versions, however they may use the Target Data Status numbers and not ISTA/P number (I think the new diagnostic software will print both but am not sure. In any case those numbers should be different and with a little translation we should be able to piece together the info on your previous version.

If I ask for a measures plan or Final report when I bring the car in for regular service (oil, etc), will it show the current version of software? Or does it only show it after a sofware upgrade?

tbal 12-09-2009 12:17 AM

Damn cobra, are you a bmw tech/sa?

cobradav 12-09-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1070611' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:57 PM
If I ask for a measures plan or Final report when I bring the car in for regular service (oil, etc), will it show the current version of software? Or does it only show it after a sofware upgrade?

Does not need to be a software change for these reports to say what version you have. But, if you are only in for oil change then very little chance of putting on diagnostic machine to get either of these reports. You really need a problem that would cause them to run diagnostic on your system.

I have samples of both on my car. By both, I mean reports when no change was made and those when a software update occured. I may post samples in my sticky on Service Bulletins in the Dealer Purchasing and Service section. Looks like I have not updated software list in about 6 months so I better do that as well.

Now if you bought you car new and have the build date, or you know the date of your last known software update we can get you an educated guess on your CIP / PROGMAN / ISTA/P level.

cobradav 12-09-2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tbal' post='1070740' date='Dec 9 2009, 04:17 AM
Damn cobra, are you a bmw tech/sa?

Nah, you know better than that. I just dug in a little like you do. I tend to work a lot with imbedded computer/software systems in large radar and telemetry space tracking systems and have always had an interest in software/hardware interaction.

tbal 12-11-2009 12:20 AM

Wow your definantly a smart man! :)

sunny_j 12-11-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MoeMonney' post='1069242' date='Dec 7 2009, 07:58 AM
Hello,

does it come on white your driving or turning hard? if so its not unheard of for the error to come up. the rearson why you get the error is if your turning hard the fluid for dynamic drive shifts which trips a sensor.

tbal 12-14-2009 08:16 PM

Thats happened to me a few times llol