6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

Door Panel Vinyl Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar issue. My '08 650i has 40K on it. I take very good care of the car, both inside and out. I noticed that the inside driver's door panel, up close to the window was feeling sticky. It is the area where most people rest their elbow/forearm. I thought maybe there was a build up of grim (interior trim is black) so I took a damp micro cloth and wiped it down. Much to my surprise I found that the glossy finish of the pleather was gone in a six inch spot, leaving behind the soft tacky rubber. I took the car into the dealer for an issue with the adaptive headlights and had them look at it. The service manager saw it and said the finish had "detorated". When he called later he advised that BMW would not cover it because it is "normal wear and tear". They want $1,500.00 for a new door panel.

Now I am no spring chicken and I have owned a few cars, including a couple of BMW's, this is the first car I have ever owned that this has occurred to. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? Were you able to get BMW to handle the warranty repair?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I have a similar spot since I always drive with the windows down (and naturally rest my forearm there). Mine isn't a big as what you describe, maybe 1/2 inch by 2 inches, but I just figured the dealer wouldn't cover it. I have some iDrive warnings popping up so my car has to go to the dealer anyway, I will bring it up to them and see what happens. I am definitely not paying $1500 for a new door panel, it would be easier to find a junked car and take it from there.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by pjinca
I have a similar spot since I always drive with the windows down (and naturally rest my forearm there). Mine isn't a big as what you describe, maybe 1/2 inch by 2 inches, but I just figured the dealer wouldn't cover it. I have some iDrive warnings popping up so my car has to go to the dealer anyway, I will bring it up to them and see what happens. I am definitely not paying $1500 for a new door panel, it would be easier to find a junked car and take it from there.
Thanks for the reply. I am not buying a new panel either. In fact this is a leased car so they will get it back as is, since they have now documented it as being "normal wear and tear". I will not be paying any fee for excessive wear now that it is documented.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer
Thanks for the reply. I am not buying a new panel either. In fact this is a leased car so they will get it back as is, since they have now documented it as being "normal wear and tear". I will not be paying any fee for excessive wear now that it is documented.

I wouldn't either, if they say it's "normal" then let them deal with it when you turn it in. I am making an appointment soon, I will keep you posted.