5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   6 Series Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/6-series-discussion-27/)
-   -   66,000 trouble free miles now Hard brake pedal (https://5series.net/forums/6-series-discussion-27/66-000-trouble-free-miles-now-hard-brake-pedal-97836/)

All-Or-Nothing 04-28-2010 03:19 PM

Well after 66,000 trouble free miles I have my first real problem. My brake pedal feels like I'm stepping on a brick. From higher speeds the brakes feel pretty normal but at slow traffic jam speeds I really have to apply lots of pressure to stop. Pedal does not go to the floor it is stiff from the top of the pedal travel.

I also can pump the brakes like normal when the car is at rest but as soon as I creep forward it gets stiff. I tried the starting with my foot on the brake to see if it would gradually go to the floor but it doesn't. The problem is only when I am at low speeds like parking and stopping in traffic.

I am taking it to get checked this weekend but wanted to have an idea what to look for so before they start.

Masterspy 04-28-2010 05:54 PM

I think it might be your brake booster. It is the big drum like attached to your brake reservoir. Inside it is diaphram that create booster for your brake. Check for leaks around it. GL

All-Or-Nothing 04-28-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by al_ongvano (Post 1162202)
I think it might be your brake booster. It is the big drum like attached to your brake reservoir. Inside it is diaphram that create booster for your brake. Check for leaks around it. GL

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards that being wrong also. BMW shop called me and it seems the labor will only be 10000 Pesos which is the equivalent to around $220 USD. The part online will only cost $349 so all in all not so bad considering this car has been completely trouble free for this long.

TexaZ3 05-04-2010 07:22 PM

Vacuum pump, or brake booster, or both actually.

tbal 05-04-2010 11:45 PM

My bets on the brake booster bro

5-string 05-07-2010 09:13 PM

I had the same problem and it was due to a cracked hose connected to the brake booster. It was visible from the top of the engine, and I was easily able to fix it myself.

545iBMW 05-21-2010 10:59 AM

Check my thread about this issue.
My car's got low 40K miles. And have this issue on and off for four months and lately, it was everyday.

Went to my local dealership, quote me $1200 parts and labor for vacuum pump, hoses and check valve - they also added that the brake booster may be bad but they won't know until they start doing the first 3. So I'd estimate $2000+ including brake booster.
So I shopped around and found a local indy shop.

They quote $990 brake booster job but also recommended that the vacuum pump may also need replacement but it will be another $750 for parts and labor.
Got them to go down to $900.

They received that parts yesterday and found out that the vacuum pump has a bad leak.
They quoted me $360 (their cost from the dealer) for the part - free labor. And they're also replacing the check valve.

So I think ~$1300 is a good decent price since they will replace all these things. I'm still not happy with the quality of these cars going bad this quick.