6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

6 series brake pad change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

EBC is actually a trustful brand. I would go for them. Damn, I cant remember which pads I had, they were also dustless, and worked well. Akebono i think? lol

TexaZ3, I noticed most your posts are anti-modding, do you feel BMW's are perfect out of the box? Just curious...
Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal
EBC is actually a trustful brand. I would go for them. Damn, I cant remember which pads I had, they were also dustless, and worked well. Akebono i think? lol

TexaZ3, I noticed most your posts are anti-modding, do you feel BMW's are perfect out of the box? Just curious...

No, I'm not anti-mod at all, just look at the list of mods on m M Coupe I've been modding cars probably before you started driving (no offense). I just tried variety of aftermarket stuff, and VERY RARELY any of it, be it pads, filters, fluids, or what not, perform better than OEM components. Not talking about carefully researched and quality manufactured hardware, such as supercharges, etc, or appearance mods, but small stuff.
More often than not, small aftermarket companies lack resources to do research, development, and testing comparable to OEM, and thus very rarely these products actually perform close, I'm not even talking about BETTER than OEM. Not saying all aftermarket is that way, but eBay pads certainly fall into that category.

Brakes is something you don't want to fool around with. I've been around BMWs (and other cars for that matter) for a long time, and yes, their OEM pads are dusty, but they stop great. I've tried Akebono, Pagid, Mintex, and others, and none actually stop better than OEM. Less dust- yes, more wear on rotors, worse brake feel, and longer stopping distance - yes
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by TexaZ3
No, I'm not anti-mod at all. I've been modding cars probably before you started driving (no offense). I just tried variety of aftermarket stuff, and VERY RARELY any of it, be it pads, filters, fluids, or what not, perform better than OEM components. Not talking about carefully researched and quality manufactured hardware, such as supercharges, etc, or appearance mods, but small stuff.
More often than not, small aftermarket companies lack resources to do research, development, and testing comparable to OEM, and thus very rarely these products actually perform close, I'm not even talking about BETTER than OEM. Not saying all aftermarket is that way, but eBay pads certainly fall into that category.

Brakes is something you don't want to fool around with. I've been around BMWs (and other cars for that matter) for a long time, and yes, their OEM pads are dusty, but they stop great. I've tried Akebono, Pagid, Mintex, and others, and none actually stop better than OEM. Less dust- yes, more wear on rotors, worse brake feel, and longer stopping distance - yes
I can agree that little known brands are ones to stay away from, but companies like EBC, Hawk, and others have proven results on the track. I have used EBC pads many times, and they have performed flawlessly. I replaced a new set of OEM pads the dealer put on with Hawk HPS pads and they actually DO stop better than the OEM without the dust and squeaking that was driving me crazy. I knew Hawks were good pads because they were the required pads when I used to race my old car in SCCA events.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3
No, I'm not anti-mod at all, just look at the list of mods on m M Coupe I've been modding cars probably before you started driving (no offense). I just tried variety of aftermarket stuff, and VERY RARELY any of it, be it pads, filters, fluids, or what not, perform better than OEM components. Not talking about carefully researched and quality manufactured hardware, such as supercharges, etc, or appearance mods, but small stuff.

I do agree... The aftermarket dustless pads I had, did NOT stop as well as the OEM pads.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Members

EBC are made in Germany btw.And it does stop better than oem,and a lot less dust! Just cause EBC pad are sold on ebay.That does not make them aftermarket junks?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Did you install them yet? Let me know how it goes..
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Members

Yes,I have installed them a month ago,and I like them a lot!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Members

So how do you know when your brake pads need to be changed? Is is when you start to hear a squeal noise when applying the brake?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Not necessarily, best way is to take the wheel off, and look at the pads... Idrive is not to accurate.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
6er
Members

I put on EBC's as a replacement on one of my other BMW's to give them a go as they get rave reviews but imho.... THEY WERE JUNK.... Now I will only buy OEM break pads!!!

p.s I'm extremely anti modding! lol

Quick Reply: 6 series brake pad change?