5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   FO7 Gran Turismo Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/fo7-gran-turismo-discussion-63/)
-   -   Matt paint (https://5series.net/forums/fo7-gran-turismo-discussion-63/matt-paint-104104/)

danmorgan 09-16-2010 07:51 AM

Has anyone got any experience of getting a 5GT (or similar) repainted with a matt black finish? Any views on costs and practicalities would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

m630 09-22-2010 08:48 AM

All that can be said about the matte paint finish is that while it may look nice on a showroom car, the practical world we live in does not fit that view. Roundel, which is the monthly magazine for the BMW Car Club of America has a great story in this months edition on this topic as they are discussing the special edition Frozen Grey M3 that was recently offer in the US, of which only 30 were made and sold within minutes. Basically BMW has you sign many waivers on the paint specifically, gives basic guidelines on cleaning the car, which notes not to ever use any waxes or any "forceful" cleaning of the paint itself, and that infact if you have an issue where you get a problem with the paint, whether due to weather/natural conditions, ie "bird droppings" or road tar, what have you, or if you get into an accident, you cannot repair the paint on the panel that was damaged, but would potentially have to have the entire car repainted! And, most BMW NA service centers would not be able to repaint the car in any case as they do not have the ability to do so....so in short...great look in the showroom or at the autoshow, but not practical in any way, shape, or form if you actually drive your car on the street! :whistle:

Merciless 10-20-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1242277)
All that can be said about the matte paint finish is that while it may look nice on a showroom car, the practical world we live in does not fit that view. Roundel, which is the monthly magazine for the BMW Car Club of America has a great story in this months edition on this topic as they are discussing the special edition Frozen Grey M3 that was recently offer in the US, of which only 30 were made and sold within minutes. Basically BMW has you sign many waivers on the paint specifically, gives basic guidelines on cleaning the car, which notes not to ever use any waxes or any "forceful" cleaning of the paint itself, and that infact if you have an issue where you get a problem with the paint, whether due to weather/natural conditions, ie "bird droppings" or road tar, what have you, or if you get into an accident, you cannot repair the paint on the panel that was damaged, but would potentially have to have the entire car repainted! And, most BMW NA service centers would not be able to repaint the car in any case as they do not have the ability to do so....so in short...great look in the showroom or at the autoshow, but not practical in any way, shape, or form if you actually drive your car on the street! :whistle:

Couldnt have said it any better!!!

pukka 10-21-2010 06:34 AM

I saw a matte black SL55 AMG and a matte white E350 at the MB dealership where I get stuff for my wife's car.

I thought it looked cool on the AMG since it was a sports car - didn't like it much on the E class.

I didn't bother to check if the option cost more or less compared to normal factory paint. Never knew about the restrictions and waivers though....

mayank 01-10-2011 09:46 PM

Hello everyone; I have seeing new thread 5 Series orums. Its realy a Interesting site.So I want jion it.Please some help me...Thanks.

Commbett 01-12-2011 01:21 AM

Wrap it, don't paint it.

Linky

These people quoted me roughly £1800 to turn my X5 from grey to white

SteveNotto 01-20-2011 07:32 AM

Here is a link to a photo of a matt grey F11

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/up...11-655x424.jpg

anjy834u 03-16-2011 03:54 AM

there is nothing like matt black finish on any car..leave alone GT..i am sure it'll look like a killer of a car..

ovni 03-18-2012 02:14 PM

Just vinyl wrap it, its non destructive, most have warranties of 4 to 5 years and if you get tired of it, it just peels off!

ovni 03-18-2012 02:49 PM

Just make sure it's a reputable company that does the work!