I think I just figured it out! My apologies if it's obvious

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, so I've been watching all the 5GT stuff develop over the last year or so (since we first started posting official BMW photos, videos, etc.) and although I realize some think it's ugly, I've never hated it very much. To me, it looks like one of those designs that we'll all begin to like more and more with time (like many did with the E60.)

Anyway, my biggest thing with this car had more to do with the "Why?" of it all. Like the X6, I wondered why BMW even chose to build the thing and was always trying to figure out what target market they were aiming for and/or what car from the competition they set their sights on...

Well today, it hit me -- again, if everyone else already knew this and I'm just now getting it, then oh well, I'm slowing down in my old age...

I think it's all about the Panamera and, after seeing some photos of the Porsche, I have to say that BMW should do pretty well against it. The Panamera looks pretty good but still has that awkward look to it that'll probably take some getting used to but if you're into a four-door hatchback, the BMW should be much less expensive than the Porsche and offer a similar experience...
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I assume you've prepared yourself for a very spirited debate with swajames. You know there's no way he's going to your statement, the 5GT providing a similar experience to the Panemara, stand.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='1002117' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:25 PM
I assume you've prepared yourself for a very spirited debate with swajames. You know there's no way he's going to your statement, the 5GT providing a similar experience to the Panemara, stand.
I was thinking of him as I typed my message!

I'm not worried about any major debate...I realize that from a pure performance standpoint, the Porsche will prevail. I'm just seeing that the two cars are comparable in many other areas and I have to believe that someone who is attracted to the Panamera might also take a look at the BMW, and vice versa.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1002143' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of him as I typed my message!

I'm not worried about any major debate...I realize that from a pure performance standpoint, the Porsche will prevail. I'm just seeing that the two cars are comparable in many other areas and I have to believe that someone who is attracted to the Panamera might also take a look at the BMW, and vice versa.
I figured as much.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'm not going to pass judgement yet, as I was not a fan of the E60 prior to its unveiling, but I have to say that Panamera is not my cup of tea at all. Outside of the Cayenne, Porsche is a 2 door, not a 4 door car.

Stephen - You know you wish you still had your 550!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1002153' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm not going to pass judgement yet, as I was not a fan of the E60 prior to its unveiling, but I have to say that Panamera is not my cup of tea at all. Outside of the Cayenne, Porsche is a 2 door, not a 4 door car.

Stephen - You know you wish you still had your 550!
I'm with you -- I'm not a fan of the Cayenne either since I've always felt that Porsche should stick to 2 door sports cars. Someone out there in automotive marketing land has studied this crap and must've figured out that there's a market for these 4-door hatchbacks...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Actually, I pretty much agree with all the posts here! Thinking about it I suspect Rudy's absolutely right and there's no getting away from the fact that the 5GT will be a strong performer. I'm still getting used to the design, but my only real issue with the 5GT was really that the E61 was such a good all-rounder, it seemed a shame for BMW to pull it from the US market. As a way to get people ready for the F10 and a competitor to other new cars like the Panamera it's probably a role that that 5GT could play very well. The early reviews certainly seem very positive. Just this once, I'm prepared to concede that I may have had the 5GT wrong all along!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1002320' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:59 AM
Actually, I pretty much agree with all the posts here! Thinking about it I suspect Rudy's absolutely right and there's no getting away from the fact that the 5GT will be a strong performer. I'm still getting used to the design, but my only real issue with the 5GT was really that the E61 was such a good all-rounder, it seemed a shame for BMW to pull it from the US market. As a way to get people ready for the F10 and a competitor to other new cars like the Panamera it's probably a role that that 5GT could play very well. The early reviews certainly seem very positive. Just this once, I'm prepared to concede that I may have had the 5GT wrong all along!
I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that!

I think the demise of the E61 style cars is a shame as well but I think people are starting to look at that design as boring -- sort of like the way people look at minivans instead of SUVs. In other words, these new hatchback style sedans, I think, will be looked upon as "cooler" than a station wagon just as people look at SUVs as being cooler than minivans as family vehicles...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

guess I'll have to be the devil's advocate here...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1002330' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:11 PM
guess I'll have to be the devil's advocate here...

Vlad, the front of that car is very nice. It's when you get around to the rear half (specifically the rear end) the designers lost me. They had a chance to create a real world class grand tourer - and blew it. I am sure the car will perform well enough, but the look of the rear end is HORRID, what were they thinking?!?!

Quick Reply: I think I just figured it out! My apologies if it's obvious