Expanded US 5GT line

Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US complete model lineup brochure that is being distributed at the NY auto show shows the availability of a 535i GT, a 550i GT and a 550iX GT. Odd that a 535iX will not be offered here. Maybe it's just odd that BMW is offering the 5GT at all here in the US . . .
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Honestly, we have not been selling them all that well, probably because of the lack of an AWD model. As other manufacturers offer similarly configured entries (ie: Panamera), acceptance and popularity of the GT will surely increase. Personally, I am kind of liking it.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I think the whole thing is a mistake. Even if the 5 Sport Wagon wasn't flying out the door, it's more cost effective to continue to offer it in the U.S. market than to spend the resources and capital to develop and design the 5 GT.

This article irritates me because it is a little misleading not to mention contradictory. The article is stating that BMW thinks they could have sold more GTs if they offered the 6 cylinder at launch and also that they are 20% behind projections in North America (we can surmise that this insinutating that they are not selling well... duh).
But then they state that "However, since the launch of the BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo, BMW has sold a total of 1,143 units, outperforming the 5-Series station wagon last year." Oh please... if I remember correctly, BMW sold just under 1,000 wagons last year... you know... the last year of a model that was 6/7 years old. Of course the wagon didn't sell well last year. Add to the fact that Mercedes and Audi have more extensive wagon offerings doesn't help matters either.
And on top of that, if we project that the end of year sales for the GT will be double what they have been for the first half of the year (1,143 x 2 = 2,286) that's just a little over twice the amount of 5er wagons BMW sold last year... for a brand new model.

Worth it, BMW?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The E60 wagon was only really offered here in one configuration and engine choice - it should have been no surprise to BMW that this would limit US sales. It's almost like sales were crippled to make the case for the GT, which in turn has also failed to set the world on fire... Perhaps a question of being careful what you wish for... For me, the F11 is a much, much better looking and more practical car than the GT. It's a shame that BMW doesn't see fit to sell the car here in the US.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acorradi87
I think the whole thing is a mistake. Even if the 5 Sport Wagon wasn't flying out the door, it's more cost effective to continue to offer it in the U.S. market than to spend the resources and capital to develop and design the 5 GT.

This article irritates me because it is a little misleading not to mention contradictory. The article is stating that BMW thinks they could have sold more GTs if they offered the 6 cylinder at launch and also that they are 20% behind projections in North America (we can surmise that this insinutating that they are not selling well... duh).
But then they state that "However, since the launch of the BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo, BMW has sold a total of 1,143 units, outperforming the 5-Series station wagon last year." Oh please... if I remember correctly, BMW sold just under 1,000 wagons last year... you know... the last year of a model that was 6/7 years old. Of course the wagon didn't sell well last year. Add to the fact that Mercedes and Audi have more extensive wagon offerings doesn't help matters either.
And on top of that, if we project that the end of year sales for the GT will be double what they have been for the first half of the year (1,143 x 2 = 2,286) that's just a little over twice the amount of 5er wagons BMW sold last year... for a brand new model.

Worth it, BMW?

Clearly this unique, but highly profitable car segment will get crowded in time and offerings from other premium automakers are expected soon. The BMW 5 Series GT sales in North America have already exceeded the initial expectations and reports coming from Europe are just as encouraging.

According to an article on BimmerBlog.com re: the Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake as a competitor to the GT. So who is right, who is wrong?

The GT is a niche vehicle. Most people who order these cars spec them out they way they want them, as did I. This is BMW #7 for me, 8 if you include the R53 CooperS. I couldn't be happier. I"m well over 6ft with an infant in a "rear facing" car seat. There is no other vehicle in the current and/or expanded BMW lineup save a 750Li or RR Ghost/Phantom with more interior space. The X5 can obviously carry more cargo. But still - even with the updated 2011 X5 - it falls behind in overall passenger space and/or technology.

Truthfully the GT has more in common with the F01 than the F10. As it is in all actuality - save the lower front airdam, side turn signal markers, and "550i" nomenclature - a 7 Series with a hatch.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acorradi87

Worth it, BMW?
bump! This post nails it. BMW intentionally pushed the Touring model into oblivion. The only offered it in AWD which virtually eliminates the entire southern US market (TX, AZ, FL etc). The AWD adds an estimated $2K (??) over a RWD version of the sedan, plus extra weight. Plus they never offered a 528 version of the car which again would have made it even more affordable. A RWD 528 Touring for approx $50K would have been damn tempting for a lot of folks. I think most the of 535XiTs that were on dealer lots in 2010 had stickers in the low to mid $60K range. Granted, once people saw it was the end of the line for the 535XiT there were some deals to be had (and I kick myself for not snapping one up).

I still say that BMW could have sold at least 2000 F11s if they had been offered to US consumers if they offered them as 528s, 535 and 535 X drive versions. I could accept not having a 550 or 528 X as those really would be niche vehicles and a 528 XiT would be a slug with all the extra weight of AWD plus the weight the new F10/F11 gained over the E60/E61.

Frankly, just when I got over this issue, the old wound was re-opened last Sunday when I saw a stunning 535 XiT in (white with tan leather) in the parking lot of our local Fresh Market grocery store in Tampa. I stood there and looked at it like a kid watching puppies in the window of the pet store. Damn it was nice. Spotless interior. Waxed and buffed to perfection.