5GT short review from Winding Road Magazine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I know it's not very elaborate but here it is anyway...

http://www.nextautos.com/first-ride-2010-b...es-gran-turismo
Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give it a short review.

"It's UGLY."
Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

with an new eight-speed automatic transmission
is this a typo?

and....
The launch car will have rear wheel drive and the turbo V-8. Soon after, we’ll get six-cylinder and AWD options. An M car is also likely...
i certainly hope not!!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='946496' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:37 PM
is this a typo?
from the GT press release:

Playing a supporting role: innovative new 8-speed automatic transmission.
The 5 Series Gran Turismo?s innovative character is further supported by its all-new 8-speed automatic transmission, which brings smooth shifting, sportiness and efficiency to a new level of perfection. Compared to the exemplary 6-speed automatic offered in most current BMW models,the 8-speed?s ?taller? cruising gears make a significant contribution to reduced fuel consumption and carbon-dioxide emissions as well as quietness. And its wider spread of ratios from lowest to highest gear enhances acceleration and response across the range of driving speeds.
Technically speaking, this new automatic?s attributes have been achieved via an innovative concept that provides the two additional ratios (7 and 8) with no increase in bulk or weight. In an arrangement not heretofore employed in an 8-speed automatic, four planetary gearsets and five clutch packs are controlled in a way that no more than two of the five clutch packs are freewheeling at any given time. The modest increase in the number of mechanical elements allows the new transmission to achieve unusually high efficiency: the so-called ?gearing efficiency? is higher than 98% in all eight gears. In 6th gear, it?s highest of all because that is direct drive, with no gearing at all. Combine this with reduced friction and the ability to keep the torque converter ?locked up? more of the total driving time, and you have a transmission that is very much a part of the 5 Series Gran Turismo?s overall efficiency concept.
Two additional gears mean threefold progress: quicker shifts, greater smoothness, enhanced efficiency.
The wider spread of ratios allows the engine to run at lower speeds, mainly in the ?tallest? gear, 8th. Yet even with this wider spread, the steps between adjacent gears are reduced; in turn this means a stronger, smoother flow of power during acceleration.
And for the same reason, faster shifts are a further benefit because only one clutch pack is disengaged to shift up or down by one or two gears. On the other hand, downshifting more than two gears is accomplished as a direct shift. For example, a downshift from 8th to 2nd gear is made with only one clutch pack disengagement, and thus occurs without stepping down through the intermediate gears. Thus at one instant the driver can be enjoying the quiet, fuel-efficient low rpm of 8th gear, and in the next instant getting maximum acceleration.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='946608' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:52 PM
from the GT press release:

Playing a supporting role: innovative new 8-speed automatic transmission.
The 5 Series Gran Turismo?s innovative character is further supported by its all-new 8-speed automatic transmission, which brings smooth shifting, sportiness and efficiency to a new level of perfection. Compared to the exemplary 6-speed automatic offered in most current BMW models,the 8-speed?s ?taller? cruising gears make a significant contribution to reduced fuel consumption and carbon-dioxide emissions as well as quietness. And its wider spread of ratios from lowest to highest gear enhances acceleration and response across the range of driving speeds.
Technically speaking, this new automatic?s attributes have been achieved via an innovative concept that provides the two additional ratios (7 and 8) with no increase in bulk or weight. In an arrangement not heretofore employed in an 8-speed automatic, four planetary gearsets and five clutch packs are controlled in a way that no more than two of the five clutch packs are freewheeling at any given time. The modest increase in the number of mechanical elements allows the new transmission to achieve unusually high efficiency: the so-called ?gearing efficiency? is higher than 98% in all eight gears. In 6th gear, it?s highest of all because that is direct drive, with no gearing at all. Combine this with reduced friction and the ability to keep the torque converter ?locked up? more of the total driving time, and you have a transmission that is very much a part of the 5 Series Gran Turismo?s overall efficiency concept.
Two additional gears mean threefold progress: quicker shifts, greater smoothness, enhanced efficiency.
The wider spread of ratios allows the engine to run at lower speeds, mainly in the ?tallest? gear, 8th. Yet even with this wider spread, the steps between adjacent gears are reduced; in turn this means a stronger, smoother flow of power during acceleration.
And for the same reason, faster shifts are a further benefit because only one clutch pack is disengaged to shift up or down by one or two gears. On the other hand, downshifting more than two gears is accomplished as a direct shift. For example, a downshift from 8th to 2nd gear is made with only one clutch pack disengagement, and thus occurs without stepping down through the intermediate gears. Thus at one instant the driver can be enjoying the quiet, fuel-efficient low rpm of 8th gear, and in the next instant getting maximum acceleration.
Wow! And i thought 7 were already at the limit. So when will we see 9 geared BMWs?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='947620' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:19 PM
Wow! And i thought 7 were already at the limit. So when will we see 9 geared BMWs?
Well I suppose if you count the reverse gear, we'll see 9 soon...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='948040' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:26 AM
Well I suppose if you count the reverse gear, we'll see 9 soon...
I mean 9 straight gears (heterosexual)
Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

"An M car is likely" .. I highly doubt that
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I hope our teams implementation of 8 speed is better than reviews of current versions out there. Most reviewers complain of constant seeking /shifting trying to find the gear you want.