Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

20s on my e60

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
This is the perfect forum to get info on this, even though the question has been asked ad nauseum. The vast majority of members here have some sort of drop ( springs or coilovers). I have 20s and with my tire setup I have noticed no perceptable worsening of the ride as opposed to the 3 sets of 19s I had before. Then again I am running lightweight forged 20s which don't weigh much more, if at all, than the OEM 125s and 172s I used to have. I am running 245/35/20 fronts with 275/30/20 rears so there is more meat on my tires than is recommended, but I am still within 3% rolling diameter.
Btw, I vote against the white wheels on a white car, that hasn't looked good since the 80s on "Spencer for hire"
Thanks for the info. It makes me feel better about putting the 20s. But the white face chrome lip I think still looks clean. Which is what I'm going for. More luxury than sport look. Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by Jsanjuan32
Yea. I figured that. But I have a 530i so it's not too fast anyway. Lol. I'm more concerned about the looks right now. But I don't want a crappy ride either.
You will notice it even moreso with the lesser HP. Lots of people do the 20's for looks but it will definitely make your ride quality worsen. It is a RARE case that you won't notice degraded performance and ride quality. I have done a TON of research myself on this and know many people who have gone with 20's and regretted it. They DO look very nice. Mine is a 6-speed Dinan 550i fully decked out and with an increased rear diff ratio (3.38 from 2.93 stock gear set),etc (ie: lots of extra power and torque) and I would not think of putting 20's on. When I mentioned it to my Dinan guy I thought he was going to slap me :-) In then end it is a personal preference. I would personally look for a nice set of 19's. There are LOTS of them out there. BMW is a pretty precise car builder. You would never see an oversized wheel come out of production. Yours are sized right now for optimal performance and ride. OK...enough of my 2 cents. Good luck! I am sure it will work out cool either way.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
This is the perfect forum to get info on this, even though the question has been asked ad nauseum. The vast majority of members here have some sort of drop ( springs or coilovers). I have 20s and with my tire setup I have noticed no perceptable worsening of the ride as opposed to the 3 sets of 19s I had before. Then again I am running lightweight forged 20s which don't weigh much more, if at all, than the OEM 125s and 172s I used to have. I am running 245/35/20 fronts with 275/30/20 rears so there is more meat on my tires than is recommended, but I am still within 3% rolling diameter.
Btw, I vote against the white wheels on a white car, that hasn't looked good since the 80s on "Spencer for hire"
+1 on the vote against white wheels. "Spencer for hire"...hahahaha You and I must be the same age :-)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I just upgraded from 19" to 20" for this summer. I'm running on a lowered setup (KW Street Comfort coilovers).
My tyre setup with the 19" wheels was the standard 245/35 R19 in all four corners, and now with the 20" wheels I increased the tyre size to 235/35 R20 and 275/30 R20 and I can honestly tell the ride quality is about 95% the same as with my earlier 19" setup.

- Antti -
Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Members

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm still undecided. But I have narrowed it down to either 3 piece white face rims with a chrome lip (sorry to those that don't like the white rims) in which case I will drop it.... or if I go with 19s it will deffinetly be M6 rims (either stock or matte black powder coated). Give me your thoughts on that. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

Hahahaha.....I guess you can COMPLETELY ignore EVERYTHING that I said about me "not even thinking about changing to 20"" This whole darn discussion got me thinking and I did some serious calling/talking to wheel manufacturers, etc.....long story short-Today I ordered a set of 20" HRE P43SC for my car....I am probably still right about the ride,etc. but oh well...sometimes things are too HOT to worry about logic :-) I may be a fool but damn is my car gonna look hot. Adding the whole Hamann Aero kit too.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by ColdList' timestamp='[url="tel:1338850993"
1338850993[/url]' post='1447499]
Hahahaha.....I guess you can COMPLETELY ignore EVERYTHING that I said about me "not even thinking about changing to 20"" This whole darn discussion got me thinking and I did some serious calling/talking to wheel manufacturers, etc.....long story short-Today I ordered a set of 20" HRE P43SC for my car....I am probably still right about the ride,etc. but oh well...sometimes things are too HOT to worry about logic :-) I may be a fool but damn is my car gonna look hot. Adding the whole Hamann Aero kit too.
Good luck with the 20's. I sure needed it
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW fanatic
Good luck with the 20's. I sure needed it
Oh man I hear ya....trust me. I called the manufacturer today (who is totally unbiased about which set I buy....HRE sells so many high dollar wheel sets). I am pretty confident I am ok. There is actually another factor at play here. I am installing a 3.83 rear differential from an automatic e60 this week. Mine is a 2.94 stock diff on my 6-speed. I am very concerned about wheel spin since it is an open diff and I have the extra power from the Dinan performance upgrades. The extra rubber on the road will help. Sort of a trade-off. Looks wise the 20's will look great as these are the new HRE SC (Super Concave). They will look very deep. They are also a very lightweight forged wheel so performance difference should be minimal. Overall, I have more HP and a lot more torque (with the install of the new diff) so I am still going to see big gains over stock setup. Pretty much all of that will be substantially offset. Ride will certainly not be as good as the 19's, HOWEVER, I also have Dinan suspension and believe it or not it actually rides SMOOTHER than the stock sport suspension but eliminates almost all roll and bites very hard in the turns. I really think that I am going to be just fine. Wheels and tires are almost an $8K investment so I did consider all options very carefully. I did not want to get the 19's and think they were smaller than I wanted. I have seen the 20" P43SC on a 335 and they looked stunning. I am sure with my drop they will look pretty much perfect.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
New Members

question bro, im new to this forum, I just put 20" wheels on my e60 and I hate the gap also.... what setup did you use to lower it, and since Im in the marietta area also, what shop would you suggest

Originally Posted by ColdList
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wallyrichburg
question bro, im new to this forum, I just put 20" wheels on my e60 and I hate the gap also.... what setup did you use to lower it, and since Im in the marietta area also, what shop would you suggest
I actually just had the Dinan suspension installed and it gave it an approx. 3/4" drop form the stock sport suspension. there really is only ONE RRRREEEELLLLYYYY great performance shop to use here. Performing Imports in Alpharetta. They are one of those places you won't ever forget finding. Ron Trochelman is the owner. The guy will go out of his way to make your car PERFECT. Could not recommend any higher than I would for this place and Ron. http://www.performingimports.com Also he is the guy that I am afraid to tell I got 20's. He would smack me in the head. He is all about performance. He can drop that thing perfectly for you. He and his team do some incredible stuff. No one leaves there not blown away. Trust me on this one. He and his crew are top notch. No one better. (and no I am not related to him...hahaha...Performing Imports really Is one of those over the top knowledgeable and great service places). I used them the first time a few months ago for service when United BMW didn't return my call until the end of the day. By that time I had it in to Ron and picked it up the next day. I always thought BMW did a great job until I went to PI. I was totally comfortable in having him do the full blown Dinan mod to my car and am going back for the new differential and short shifter this week or next. They rock! Where are you in Marietta? I'm in East Cobb near Johnson Ferry and Shallowford.

Quick Reply: 20s on my e60