Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Spam alert!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013
Thumbs down

I?d like to mention something we recently noticed.

A lot of those spam bots are programmed real smart now.
They register, come back a couple days later and change their profile infos, upload some informatons and add a pic to their profile page, and then they come back days later to spam.

Others are posting to existing threads before changing profile infos or signatures or start spamming, or even worse, start sending spam PM?s.

Here are some examples of what I found:

A reply to a steering problem in which the spam bot mentions that he has the same problem on his GM car?
A reply to a sales thread about wheels, posting he likes those two black ones, while there are more than two mentioned in the sales thread and none of them is black? But the sales thread was ?Black Friday (?)??
A reply in which he says he thinks about tinting the Benz, but the thread was about a 7er and had nothing to with tinting?
A reply to a GB thread for a video interface, saying he would, but his is already modded with all blue LED?s?
My favourite:
In a thread where someone is posting about problems with the tranny the OP uses the word ?engage? (gears)? the bot replies with the advice of taking a marriage license with you what he did on a trip to Jamaika, and finally he closes with: Have a great trip???
Or those replies in the new member introduction forums, where a newbie makes his forst post as a reply to another members introduction, asking if new members are warmly welcomed here?

If you run across some weird posts from new or relative new members, please notify us by hitting the report button or by sending a PM to one of us mods & admins.

If you receive PM?s from members you don?t know and who are relative new to the forum, and those messages are only containing a link, please don?t click them and inform us.

Currently we are experiencing a lot of spam attacks. We find spammers every day, mostly before they post and you guys can notice them!

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

The word "bot" implies that this is a program that replies automatically. From what you described, "They register, come back a couple days later and change their profile infos, upload some informatons and add a pic to their profile page, and then they come back days later to spam." it sounds as though this is being done deliberately and manually. I reckon that it's either someone just messing with us or someone who does not have a good command of the language.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

I don't understand spam!? Can someone who knows explain what the point it? Is it advertising? What's with the spam that looks like a complete foriegn/bizzare language? Is even saying something? And spam like the china cellphone the other day, are they're intentions to sell us phones?
or is it something else entirely, like trying to hack important systems?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1092938' date='Jan 18 2010, 07:57 PM
I don't understand spam!? Can someone who knows explain what the point it? Is it advertising? What's with the spam that looks like a complete foriegn/bizzare language? Is even saying something? And spam like the china cellphone the other day, are they're intentions to sell us phones?
or is it something else entirely, like trying to hack important systems?
Spam covers all categories of unwanted mail. Some are the types you listed. Some are just trying to drive traffic to genuine sites selling stuff. Some are links to sites that are trying to get you to buy stuff from them that never gets delivered. Some are links that pretend to be from institutions that they're not (these are called phishing) and they take you to a website that looks completely genuine and it's only purpose is to steal your id/password. The phishers will sell their list of collected id/passwords to criminals. This is probably how 20,000 gmail accounts were hacked into a month or two ago. The worst kind of spam is the malicious ones that have viruses/worms/trojans attached to them, or they contain a link to a site that will try and attack you while you're visiting it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The cell phone ones are mostly scams.
They advertise cheap cell phones and you will never get one.
Spam is done for different reasons. Mostly to get higher rankings in search engines. Search engines scan the web and find links to other websites. The more links, the higher the rating, since the site seems to be important. Some want you to click their links, so they get high click rates, which can also be good for advertisements on that site someone pays for by the click rate. Then there are indeed people who are just trying to sell stuff, but the intent of a forum like ours is not to hold free advertising space for others. And there are people who will try to get you on their site so you will download the virus it contains... Just to mention some points why there is that much spam on the web.

Those bots are programmed robots. And yes, they are machines, not a human. They are really programmed that smart these days...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Well I'm glad we have Iceman on OUR side!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Thanks for the info I had no idea, I wish I knew more about computers haha

what about the strange/bizzare language spam? Whats that about? Weird
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1092970' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info I had no idea, I wish I knew more about computers haha

what about the strange/bizzare language spam? Whats that about? Weird
There's a lot of religious rantings I've seen in other languages, from one religion to another saying all kinds of stuff. The same kind of stuff that they've been having wars between each other for thousands of years. Usual stuff.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

But the absolutely worst kind of spam is this kind!!!

Spam alert!-spamcan.jpg
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='1093046' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:10 PM
But the absolutely worst kind of spam is this kind!!!

Attachment 97496
ewwwwwwwwwwww! get that thing away

Quick Reply: Spam alert!