Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Is the 5Series forum dying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1054451' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:37 AM
I thought about that
Nooooooooooooo! You want to be surrounded by talk about the feel of the leather seats.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1054426' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:06 AM
Agreed wholeheartedly Rich, it's sad when someone joins starts complaining and all of sudden we all have to bow to his whimsy. Maybe an MB would be a good trade
Seriously! What ever happened to the word "community"?! IMO, all the complains that have been filed where selfishly thought of, and did not thought of the majority! But that's just me.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1054426
Seriously! What ever happened to the word "community"?! IMO, all the complains that have been filed where selfishly thought of, and did not thought of the majority! But that's just me.
funny, I am sure the people that did the "complaining" had the same reasoning, "...selfishly thought of and did not think of the majority...."

come on guys, we have enough "victim" role players here already...don't join that team.....
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1054482' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:46 AM
seriously? so because he's a new member his suggestion holds no value? the mods and admins went ahead and gave reasons why it's an appreciated gesture to downsize your sig. Yet you still feel the need to press the issue and exhibit a slight undertone of contempt towards that member that started that thread, those that may have agreed with the OP and topic, and the mods/admins.....

funny, I am sure the people that did the "complaining" had the same reasoning, "...selfishly thought of and did not think of the majority...."

come on guys, we have enough "victim" role players here already...don't join that team.....

Listen to the wise man!!!

Nothing to add!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The reputation tool is problematic.
Who votes and what if someone is just trying to ruin someones reputation...?

BTW, in each profile there is voting system. You can give members a star rating 1-5...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

This forum's definitely declined in new posts and no doubt both Antti and Craig are correct in their posts in this thread (as most others who were serious). I've noticed that in the past months this forum has gone from the best forum to average to downright boring and back up a few times. With each successive ring of this spiral falling lower and lower and lower and looooooo...

I have taken it standing up and fighting. Some of you have witnessed it, others - fought me. Some even somewhat successfully

My current point of view is: let's wait until the F10 is out and see if there really is a reason for the 5series to be as big, as the e60 once was. That said, I do consider the e60 an instant classic, so to me, there will always be new things to learn from this forum. Which reminds me: I've learned more about e60 from this forum then from everywhere else combined - that's gotta stand for something. And regardless of all the shit I give people on here, I'm infinitely thankful to each and every one of you, who provide info and share their experiences with us daily.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My first mental response when reading the OP's first question was, "I wonder if the economy has anything to do with it?" People visit and interact on car forums when they're wanting to 'do something' to their car. People are spending less $$ now, so it seems logical that there would be less visits to these forums.

Just a thought -- don't have any proof, just a theory ...

The whole sig thing has never bothered me because they don't seem any longer than other non-car forums I visit. I guess I'm just used to scrolling down and don't really think about it. I can't use the word 'offended' when describing my reaction to certain avatars and 'T&A' type images in the sigs, but my gut reaction is that they are either 1) school-boy juvenile, so therefore kinda' silly IMHO, or 2) used by insecure men who for unknown reasons have a need to prove they are heterosexual. These are probably the same guys who wear "Johnson" type T-shirts in public, and my eyes usually roll when I notice them. Again, it's what you expect from a trailer-residing 14-year-old, but to each their own. And I do mean that 'to each their own' as respectfully and sincerely as I can muster. In my honest opinion, because these are public forums, all images used should be PG to PG13 at the very most.

As far as the community, I have found the group here always friendly and helpful, and it's why I continue to check it nearly every day even though I don't have anything to ask or say about my own car. Maybe if our cars were lower quality we'd have more problems and more topics to ask questions about. "Unfortunately" mine seems pretty bullet-proof, like my 3 previous BMW's, so my posts are usually limited to possible mods.

I find this a great place to interact with fellow BMW enthusiasts and I have no plans to go anywhere.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Talking

One more thing ... If the owners of these forums were to look up their site visitation stats they would most likely observe seasonal hills and valleys. Truth is, the E60 is being owned by more and more younger folks who are buying them used, and these are the same guys who are now back in school or college, playing athletics, studying, etc. I'd be willing to bet the daily counts were higher from June through August than they are now. Add that we're entering the year's busiest holiday season and the older dads out there will have less time for sitting around and reading a BMW forum.

Hills and valleys, hills and valleys; every site has them, including my own. It doesn't always mean you have a 'problem.'
Old 11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

The Forum is in decline and the F10 has nothing to do with it. I think talk about the F10 and new BMW moves has enhanced our Forum. At least is has in my time around here.

The decline is the result of trash. The decline is the result of personal bantering about irrelevant (to motoring) crap that is usually of interest to only a few. Much of the banter has an obvious objective of increasing one?s post count. It is incredible how many threads with serious and interesting beginnings turn toward blather.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

sixcard
Old 11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I think we should just adapt and adjust to the fact that trailer trash will be running the forum from now on. Hey, I'm practically there already

Quick Reply: Is the 5Series forum dying?