Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

New BMW Manufacturing Plants

Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Interesting read in the latest BMW Magazine. They say that because India and China are the major up and coming markets that they have started building a manufacturing plant that will build the E60 and E90 cars.

I wonder will cars built in these plants be exported to US or Euro markets? And what will build quality be like?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't be exported to US. They're exclusively for local market. What they do is CKD (Complete Knocked Down) in which BMW import parts from Germany and assemble in China/India in order to get away from automotive import tax which is about 100 - 200%. Sometimes, it's even more to discourage importing cars due to traffic congestion.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

That makes a lot of sense. I remember they startted building the E49 in South Africa and exporting to Europe and the cars quality was questionable.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='229053' date='Jan 24 2006, 05:12 PM
That makes a lot of sense. I remember they startted building the E49 in South Africa and exporting to Europe and the cars quality was questionable.
Actually, the SA plant at Rosslyn had one of the highest quality ratings within the BMW manufacturing network in 2002 winning a JD Power award.

http://www.bmwplant.co.za/Content/frame_co...haf0gau02~4.htm

The SULEV E46's that came to the US market were all SA builds.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

I think I still feel more comfortable if my car came from a german factory
Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i would be happy to buy a local assembled BMW if i got it $100k cheaper. My BMW 530i was $170k++ when i bought it in early 2006. If the car was CKD then it would have been less than $90k....so i would have lived with the lower build quality and buy a nicer M5 in my summer home in CA