Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Driving your BMW safely in wintry conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the recent blizzards in the eastern U.S., this is very relevant today:

Driving a car with high-performance summer tires is great ? until the temperatures start to dip.

Summer tires are standard equipment on many high-performance cars such as those from Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and other manufacturers, and the tires are designed to provide optimum dry-conditions performance and good handling in wet conditions.

There is, however, a catch. At 7° C (45° F), their compound loses adhesion and, as a result, they cannot be used safely under wintry driving conditions.
Here are some of the tips:
  • Use the correct tires (see main article).
  • Check tire inflation regularly.
  • Know where you are going (and via what route) and check forecasts on the Web before leaving.
  • Do not use cruise control on slippery surfaces (ice, rain, leaves, sand).
  • Allow for conditions. Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Slowing down on ice and slush takes longer.

Continues here with many photos.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Winter tires ALL THE WAY IMO. There is day and night difference. If we can afford $50K+ car we can afford $1K set of tires.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

It's called BLIZZAK!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
It's called BLIZZAK!
Actually, the Pirellis handle much better than the Blizzaks except for driving in significant snow.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

OR...........

Leave it in your garage and instead take this to work:

Its what I do when its that bad out.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

I have driven a pair of Blizzaks and truly, they are great tyres. This year, I decided to go with Kumhos' (much cheaper) and I gotta say, they handle really well in the Michigan snow. For those of you that have never bought a pair, I highly reccomend them.

Or else...go buy another 20K truck like someone else did!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by Howitzer
OR...........

Leave it in your garage and instead take this to work:

Its what I do when its that bad out.
ahaha. nice... thats what i do. my 5er hasnt left the garage since early december just before the snow hit..
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by JSpira
Actually, the Pirellis handle much better than the Blizzaks except for driving in significant snow.
When there is snow, the Blizzak's are probably the best. Sure, they might not be the best when the roads are dry and it's cold out, but I got these tires to keep my family safe when it does snow out. I'm not looking to tear through the streets in winter with snow tires, regardless of brand.

Member poleposition had the Pirelli's on his last X5. He went with the Blizzaks on the new X5 and probably won't be going back to the Pirelli's anytime soon. They're that much better.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Any winter tire is better then the best all season regardless of brand, It all comes down to tread compound and rubber composition. And for ice even winter tires can be sketchy, unless they are studded then you own the road!

Many of the provinces in Canada have made it law to use winter tires in winter. This is my last year on all seasons, cant wait to rip around with X-Drive and studded winters next year!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Couple proper winter tires with skillful driving ... too many people over-drive conditions and/or equipment!

Quick Reply: Driving your BMW safely in wintry conditions