Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Cannonball Run article in the NYT

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

The article in the sports section of today's "Times" is really fun. Its almost about this guy from NYC doing a "cannonball" record run in his M5. Read it. It's a hoot and a half.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by 1600' post='482717' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:58 PM
The article in the sports section of today's "Times" is really fun. Its almost about this guy from NYC doing a "cannonball" record run in his M5. Read it. It's a hoot and a half.
Got a link for it on NYT.com?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Sorry I don't, but through the NYT site, the whole paper is on-line for free.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='482721' date='Oct 17 2007, 01:00 PM
Got a link for it on NYT.com?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/sports/o...amp;oref=slogin
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i saw alex last year at an audi r8 event. seemed like a pretty cool guy. he is releasing a book and there's a special reading tomorrow night if any of you are interested -
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=170741
Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Contributors

Great story.

Here's an extended article about this cross-country run (in an E39 M5) in Wired.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

'Gumball 2008 Announcement!'

To celebrate Gumball 3000's 10th Anniversary rally, in 2008 we are embarking upon creating the ultimate rally of the future from San Francisco to Beijing incorporating a true once in a lifetime (no cars) check point in North Korea !!!!!

The eight-day 3000-mile route will embrace the contrasting cultures of the east and west, whilst also uniting over 40 nationalities of participants taking part, and truly benchmarking itself at the forefront of partying, exploring, and the promotion of eco friendly transportation. 120 of the worlds most amazing vehicles will participate, and as well as the usual display of stunning supercars, the 2008 Gumball will also showcase and encourage vehicles pushing the technological boundaries to create an environmentally friendly and safer future.

Having pro actively supported the use of 'green' fuels for the past 4 years, highlighted by film star Daryl Hannah participating in 2005 using only 100% bio-diesel, and a Peterbilt Truck using only potato oil from San Francisco to Miami in 2003, along with numerous other bio-diesel, electric and hybrids taking part. In 2008 Gumball has made the decision to become completely carbon neutral, and will offset its complete carbon footprint made by the participating supercars and aeroplane transportation, as well as promoting and encouraging the use of as many environmentally friendly futuristic vehicles using fuel cells, hydrogen, batteries and other sustainable technologies.

This will be the ultimate adventure and clashes of culture, following partying in San Diago, the rally will set off in front of millions driving via Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas visiting several world renown race tracks along the way. Then after partying in Vegas all the cars will then be flown in our Russian cargo planes to Shanghai. Whilst the drivers make their journey to North Korea's undiscovered stunning capital, Pyongyang, to watch next years 'Mass Games' inside the insane May Day 'gold plated' 250,000 seater stadium as VIP guests of the North Korean Government. This will be a sight in itself. Though that is not all, once we get back in our drivers seats in Shanghai we will make a 2 day journey to Beijing for the 2008 Olympic Games.

Following this years accident, we've had a long and hard think about how to positively amend and adapt the concept of the rally without stifling its unique freedom of spirit, concept and adventurous characteristics, whilst continuing to make it ground breaking in its cultural diversity, as well as keeping its multi national and diverse demographical appeal; and of course doing what we can to make it as safe as possible, exploring numerous ways of setting up precautions that can offer both participants, sponsors and the public confidence that the odds against such an accident happening again are decreased, whilst also trying to assure that the Gumballers and fans can enjoy the individual spirit, eccentricity, glamour, fun and adventure that has become integral with Gumball over its successful nine year history.

With that in mind, I believe that we have come up with a route and concept that will be both politically, geographically and environmentally ground breaking; and as well as incorporating some of the most influential and culturally diverse cities of the world, with shorter drives and even better parties, the event will also be 100% carbon neutral, and a platform for automotive manufacturers to showcase their futuristic environmentally friendly vehicles.

Unfortunately with only 100 limited exclusive places on the grid, its going to be inevitable that many people wont be able to take part ? so please inform us as soon as possible if you'd like to, so we can cater to past 'Gumballer alumni' before we let newcomers onto the grid. As you can imagine, this route will appeal to people all over the world that would perhaps have never thought to do a rally previously, as this will be the first time in history that members of all nations will be allowed to visit and party in North Korea!

I hope this has wet your appetite for adventure ? and as mentioned more details will follow at the end of this month. The date is still tbc ? although it's scheduled to take place later than normal in the late summer (mid August) to coincide with the 'Mass Games' and the Beijing Olympic Games? so put your name down now if you are up for it.

The cost of the 2008 Tenth Anniversary Rally is ?60,000 which includes all flights (for both you and your vehicle), 5 star Accomodation, Food and Incredible parties during the period of the Rally.