Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW and Hyundai compared at the same level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by eojj
To be honest, i didnt even read the article hahah...

however, since the topic was about bmw and hyundai i felt it was somewhat relevant to address the subject of "innovation." Hyundai improved milestones from their past in such short time - if BMW had such drastic improvements it would be amazing to see what they could produce!
There's no question that Hyundai is on a roll - sales are up, their product has never been better and they feel comfortable standing behind it with a stellar warranty. The established top tier brands ought to be paying very close attention. Neither Mercedes nor BMW felt Lexus was going to be serious threat to them when the Lexus brand was launched. Lexus finished 2010, once again, as the top selling luxury brand in the US...

Hyundai's new product is good enough to have warranted a relaunch under a new brand, and it's clear that they have all the top tier brands in their sights. To their credit, Hyundai wanted the new product (Genesis, Equus and Sonata) to reflect positively on the entire brand so they've kept them in the family. But I think anyone who underestimates where this brand is headed does so at their peril.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hyundai has come a long way the past decade. I bet most of the people saying "I'll never buy a Hyundai" are the ones that saw Hyundai back in the mid 80's to 90's. If Hyundai keeps up their positive trend, I bet 10-15 years from now when current high school kids start earning decent money, Hyundai will not be at the bottom of the list when looking for a new car purchase.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by balbs
Hyundai has come a long way the past decade. I bet most of the people saying "I'll never buy a Hyundai" are the ones that saw Hyundai back in the mid 80's to 90's. If Hyundai keeps up their positive trend, I bet 10-15 years from now when current high school kids start earning decent money, Hyundai will not be at the bottom of the list when looking for a new car purchase.

Maybe so, maybe I am too old, because I do remember the Hyudai Excel (what a POS that was). And sine knowing many people who owned Hyudais and Kias and THEY considered them crappy. I just haven't gotten over the mindset that Hyundai and Kia are cars for those people who couldn't get approved for the car they really wanted, that's why you never see just a Kia dealer, it's always attached to another dealership.
"Sorry Jim, we just can't get you approved for the car you wanted" - "But I need a new car" - "Have you seen the Kia............."
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pjinca
Maybe so, maybe I am too old, because I do remember the Hyudai Excel (what a POS that was). And sine knowing many people who owned Hyudais and Kias and THEY considered them crappy. I just haven't gotten over the mindset that Hyundai and Kia are cars for those people who couldn't get approved for the car they really wanted, that's why you never see just a Kia dealer, it's always attached to another dealership.
"Sorry Jim, we just can't get you approved for the car you wanted" - "But I need a new car" - "Have you seen the Kia............."
HA ha...Yeah I had friends that had the Excel and it was a POS. I heard Hyundai actually put steel or lead weights on the doors in order to get that heavy solid feel that German cars have.

I'm happy with Hyundai's trend. It provokes more competition especially in price with the top tier brands.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

HA ha...Yeah I had friends that had the Excel and it was a POS. I heard Hyundai actually put steel or lead weights on the doors in order to get that heavy solid feel that German cars have.

I'm happy with Hyundai's trend. It provokes more competition especially in price with the top tier brands.

True, if the heavier competition spurs BMW to include more standard features we can only benefit from it. Seems like it's starting already too, the new X3 has HD radio, BT and iPod connectivity standard (according to Roundel). I'll still never consider owning a Hyundai, but if the competition makes BMW's better it's still a win win for us all
Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by pjinca
Maybe so, maybe I am too old, because I do remember the Hyudai Excel (what a POS that was).
I hate to admit it, but I was one of those unfortunate owners. Got a demo fully loaded for about $8k. I guess I've come a long way, baby!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

+1 Some of the shapes of their new vehicles are very nice.