Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Seriously off topic..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's badly off topic, but since this seems to be the place where people actually *know* something about cars, I would like to know if anyone, apart from Doc D, drove the X3 sport?

My wife and I test drove one and it was, to say the least, as smooth as a tank. After half an hour I felt my kidneys. I also thought the interiour looked, well, cheap.
Big problem, she loves the look of the car and it is more or less exactly what she needs as a working mum with big dog.

The dealer only had a 2.5 and a 3.0 litre in sports version available as demo's. He's trying to get one on regular suspension.

So, especially DD, what where your experiences, did you try both SE and Sport?
(funniest thing, my wife picked the exact same colour scheme as yours)

Thanks

Fred
Old 06-15-2004, 09:22 AM

I don't own one (but will be getting one for the wife next year), but I will opine on the interior being "cheap."

Frankly, I don't see where this "cheapness" argument is coming from. The material is a bit different; rougher, maybe, more textured, but I think that it fits perfectly with the "attitude" of the vehicle.

BMW's interiors, especially in their "entry-level" series have always been a bit austere. I think the build-quality of the interior, and of the vehicle as a whole is top-shelf.

I just think that people are interpreting the new material as "cheap," when in fact, it's just different.

-MrB
Old 06-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Don't like the "black" bumper treatments, that makes the car look cheap IMO. And for the price they charge here in Hong Kong for an X3, I would go for the X5 instead.

Bunbun.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributors

That's the other thing, the waiting list for an X5 is about 9 months now. A year for the diesel version. Madness..
Old 06-15-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Jun 15 2004, 11:31 AM
Don't like the "black" bumper treatments, that makes the car look cheap IMO. And for the price they charge here in Hong Kong for an X3, I would go for the X5 instead.

Bunbun.
I think that the black bumpers and running boards are all part of the "look." The Volvo XC90 has them (and that's not really a cheap vehicle); and a lot of other SUV's have them, too. They're pretty practical, actually.

As to price, keep in mind that the X3 2.5 (which starts at $30,300) has the same power and torque to weight ratios as the X5 3.0 (which starts at $40,800 and goes up from there), and the X3 3.0 (starting at $36,300) has the same power and torque to weight ratios as the X5 4.4 (which starts at about $52,000), so the prices get a little more in-line. So yes, you probably could get an X5 3.0 for a similar price to an X3 3.0, but the X3 would be loaded, and the X5 would be more of a stripped down model.

BMW's model lines have always been like this. You could load up a 3er for about the same as an entry-level 5er, or a loaded up 5er for about an entry-level 7er.

Maybe that puts it into a little more perspective.

-MrB
Old 06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

With our crummy roads I would take plastic bumpers any day if I didn't have a bra or a clear bra on long distance drives.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Fred, we tried both se and sport, the springs are actually the same on both but the anti-roll bars are bigger on the sport and also the wheels are a little bigger as standard.

I found the ONLY difference between an se on 18" wheels and a sport on stock 18" wheels was the roll in bends, the se being a little more "wallowy"

I found the sport rode really well and the whole car felt really solid, way better than the other SUV/SAV type vehicles

OF COURSE, it is not as smooth or 'planted' feeling as an E60 but hey, thats like comparing oranges with bananas...two different products completely (that said, the X3 still manages to exude the BMWness we all love.

Yes, the interior plastics are a wee bit suspect and the wood trim is very ikea but with the right spec (aluminium inside & sport seats) it really is a quality package.

I have owned Discoveries and freelanders in the past that are so far behind the X3 and X5 as to be laughable....why do people put up with such shoddy products as the freelander?

still as the saying goes, I'd much rather justify cost in terms of quality than make excuses for cost cutting.

Though I truley Love my E60, I'm really quite excited about the X3's impending arrival (4 weeks)

Just my ?0.02 worth !

DD
Old 06-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

DD-

Why did you change your order from the 1 series to the X3?

J
Old 06-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Icy
Members

FF,

I read an article in Germany's ADAC magazine a few months ago on the X3. It did not receive good marks on drivability at speeds above 120Km (75Mph).

But, in almost every other area, the car was rated as "satisfactory"

I've also heard that this model is outsourced (not assembled by BMW). Even if that's true, it is still a BMW (I could tell the first time I test drove it).

I think the main question you should ask yourself is: do you like it?.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Contributors

I'd look into a used X5 over a X3. Do you have Infinity in London? The FX line is rather nice as well. I think the base Cayennes go for around 30ish, or maybe look into a used Cayenne S.

Quick Reply: Seriously off topic..