Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

So what do you do for work?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Smile

Originally Posted by insyder
Two gigs.

1 - Information Security for a government agency. I specialized in end user training, network monitoring, and computer forensics investigations.

2 - Freelance web developer. I specialize in developing business and non profit organization websites and web applications.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by texasmr2
I have been denied twice by FBSO as recently as last month. The one thing about law enforcement is it is not what you know but who you know because I graduated in the top 1% and have all my continuing education. I also had a inside connection for my first attempt in '08 but was denied (I eventually found out why).

I am committed mentally as well as 'financially' to school now so I am only seeking a 'reserve' position if the opportunity presents itself, "Once a Cop always a Cop" regarding the mentality imho.

Just playing devil's advocate, but by my calculations it appears that you are 60 years old now. That might be playing a big part in your lack of job offers. I think that's the age when most cops retire or are about to retire. It was probably not a very wise career choice at such advanced age. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just infusing a little bit of reality. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 AM
New Members

Smile

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Just playing devil's advocate, but by my calculations it appears that you are 60 years old now. That might be playing a big part in your lack of job offers. I think that's the age when most cops retire or are about to retire. It was probably not a very wise career choice at such advanced age. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just infusing a little bit of reality. Good luck in your future endeavors.
I just turned 50 and I was 45 when I went through the police academy, finishing in the top 1% of my academy over those half my age. I am in perfect health and I am often confused for someone in their 30s. You are correct that a lot of peace officers are retirement age but those are the ones who became peace officers in their 20s-30s. It is also a well known fact that our economy is still in the crapper since '08 and a lot of older people were forced to re-invented themselves and pursue other careers. In fact about 5-7yrs ago there was a gentleman who could not find employment in his specific field, was laid off, and became a jailer and he was pushing 60yrs of age.

My point is that age is not and should not be a issue as I still have at least 25yrs left to contribute the knowledge I have gained through out my life, I am wiser now.

Thank you for your reply and I hope you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Last edited by texasmr2; 12-08-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM
New Members

Cool

My persistence is starting to pay off as I have an interview with a department after Christmas and yes it was 100% based on who I know and who my referral knows, 2015 is looking up.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Titanium
Smile

Working for Oracle very interesting company thats for sure
Old 10-27-2023, 08:41 AM
Banned

My Ride: lexus

I often like to discuss work and what line of work other people are in, I will start because I am once again starting a new career.

After working in the seismic industry for a decade and enduring the cyclical ups and downs of the energy industry and two large scale layoff's I wanted a change. The change did not go as expected so I worked retail for a number of years but in '99 at the tender age of 45 I decided I needed to change my approach and go back to school. I wanted to do something where I had a chance at making a difference and to help people so I entered the police academy. I was at least 15-20yrs older than all my fellow cadets but I graduated at the top of my class and within two months of graduation I was hired on as a Deputy Sheriff at a small county 30 miles south of Waco. This entailed a complete 'up rooting' of my life in Houston and I was just wanting to put in a year of service so I could transition back to the Houston area to another department. Said dream lasted 6 months before I got screwed by this small county Sheriff.

In '11 I moved back home to Houston trying to find employment with other departments only to be denied again and again and last week I made a difficult but wise decision to pursue another career path yet one that is still rewarding in the sense that I still get to help people. I decided upon a career as a 'Pharmacy Technician' and will soon be starting classes. I have researched this field as well as reading about the huge growth that is expected in this field for at least the next decade if not more. I will also receive a certification in 'Sterile Products and Quality Assurance' thus allowing me to also work in hospitals and even jails.

I will still be taking my required 'Continuing Education' courses in law enforcement so I will still maintain and retain my state 'Police Officers' license. I am looking forward to starting this new career/life path.

Thanks for listening,
Gregg
Is it really that hard to land a police officer job?? I was actually thinking about going through an academy to get my peace officer license once all my businesses are able to run on their own... I always wanted to be a cop! lol

Last edited by seanjordan20; 12-14-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: Suzuki

I often like to discuss work and what line of work other people are in, I will start because I am once again starting a new career.

After working in the seismic industry for a decade and enduring the cyclical ups and downs of the energy industry and two large scale layoff's I wanted a change. The change did not go as expected so I worked retail for a number of years but in '99 at the tender age of 45 I decided I needed to change my approach and go back to school. I wanted to do something where I had a chance at making a difference and to help people so I entered the police academy. I was at least 15-20yrs older than all my fellow cadets but I graduated at the top of my class and within two months of graduation I was hired on as a Deputy Sheriff at a small county 30 miles south of Waco. This entailed a complete 'up rooting' of my life in Houston and I was just wanting to put in a year of service so I could transition back to the Houston area to another department. Said dream lasted 6 months before I got screwed by this small county Sheriff.

In '11 I moved back home to Houston trying to find employment with other departments only to be denied again and again and last week I made a difficult but wise decision to pursue another career path yet one that is still rewarding in the sense that I still get to help people. I decided upon a career as a 'Pharmacy Technician' and will soon be starting classes. I have researched this field as well as reading about the huge growth that is expected in this field for at least the next decade if not more. I will also receive a certification in 'Sterile Products and Quality Assurance' thus allowing me to also work in hospitals and even jails.

I will still be taking my required 'Continuing Education' courses in law enforcement so I will still maintain and retain my state 'Police Officers' license. I am looking forward to starting this new career/life path.
Collaborating with a custom software development https://www.intellectsoft.net/platfo...re-development team for our travel and hospitality business has been an absolute game-changer. By entrusting our vision to experts who understand the nuances of our industry, we've witnessed unparalleled success. Their tailored solutions streamlined our operations, enhancing guest experiences and increasing operational efficiency. From bespoke booking systems to personalized guest management platforms, the software empowered us to deliver top-notch services. The synergy between our goals and their technical prowess has not only elevated our business but also positioned us as innovators in the industry. This partnership exemplifies how strategic tech collaboration fuels remarkable growth and customer satisfaction.
Thanks for listening,
Gregg
great experience. i am onto freelance

Last edited by gredxa; 12-15-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:32 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: bmw

Oh, I wear a couple of hats, you know? I work remotely as a content creator, which basically means I write stuff for websites and social media. It's pretty cool because I get to be creative and learn new things every day. On the side, I also do a bit of online betting through https://mostbetyukle.com/, which helps me earn some extra cash when I'm feeling lucky. Overall, I love what I do – it keeps me busy and pays the bills, which is all I can ask for, really!

Last edited by trewismoip; 02-22-2024 at 07:47 AM.