Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

So what do you do for work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Default So what do you do for work?

I often like to discuss work and what line of work other people are in, I will start because I am once again starting a new career.

After working in the seismic industry for a decade and enduring the cyclical ups and downs of the energy industry and two large scale layoff's I wanted a change. The change did not go as expected so I worked retail for a number of years but in '99 at the tender age of 45 I decided I needed to change my approach and go back to school. I wanted to do something where I had a chance at making a difference and to help people so I entered the police academy. I was at least 15-20yrs older than all my fellow cadets but I graduated at the top of my class and within two months of graduation I was hired on as a Deputy Sheriff at a small county 30 miles south of Waco. This entailed a complete 'up rooting' of my life in Houston and I was just wanting to put in a year of service so I could transition back to the Houston area to another department. Said dream lasted 6 months before I got screwed by this small county Sheriff.

In '11 I moved back home to Houston trying to find employment with other departments only to be denied again and again and last week I made a difficult but wise decision to pursue another career path yet one that is still rewarding in the sense that I still get to help people. I decided upon a career as a 'Pharmacy Technician' and will soon be starting classes. I have researched this field as well as reading about the huge growth that is expected in this field for at least the next decade if not more. I will also receive a certification in 'Sterile Products and Quality Assurance' thus allowing me to also work in hospitals and even jails.

I will still be taking my required 'Continuing Education' courses in law enforcement so I will still maintain and retain my state 'Police Officers' license. I am looking forward to starting this new career/life path.

Thanks for listening,
Gregg

Last edited by texasmr2; 05-28-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i, 07' gallardo, 12' s65

Self-Employed right here...

Is it really that hard to land a police officer job?? I was actually thinking about going through an academy to get my peace officer license once all my businesses are able to run on their own... I always wanted to be a cop! lol

Have to tried Fort Bend Sherriff's Office?? If not shoot me a PM, I know a few people who work for FBSO...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Munki

Is it really that hard to land a police officer job?? I was actually thinking about going through an academy to get my peace officer license once all my businesses are able to run on their own... I always wanted to be a cop! lol

Have to tried Fort Bend Sherriff's Office?? If not shoot me a PM, I know a few people who work for FBSO...
I'm self-employed as well and I love what I do! I hope to never work for anyone else again as the options for an entrepreneur are endless!
Good luck finding a job in the police force if thats still what you want to do! I agree - come down to the fort bend area and search for a police job here. Sugar Land police Dept. might be hiring; I know my friend is in the academy right now and he seems pretty confident he will easily get a job with the SLPD once he finishes.

Just don't arrest me!

Anyways, I work for myself and to help others! Right now I sell OEM BMW parts and I really love what I do so I'm hoping to stay in the automotive industry if I can. I'm currently looking to get into the aftermarket BMW industry as well as possibly manufacturing Carbon Fiber parts.
On the side I'm also working on becoming a Certified Financial Planner and a Chartered Financial Analyst because I love helping people become financially successful! Once I can passively manage my Automotive business I hope to open my own Financial Advising practice somewhere in the Denver/Boulder area in Colorado. I can't wait to see where life takes me from here!

Last edited by zach1328; 05-23-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Munki

I have been denied twice by FBSO as recently as last month. The one thing about law enforcement is it is not what you know but who you know because I graduated in the top 1% and have all my continuing education. I also had a inside connection for my first attempt in '08 but was denied (I eventually found out why).

I am committed mentally as well as 'financially' to school now so I am only seeking a 'reserve' position if the opportunity presents itself, "Once a Cop always a Cop" regarding the mentality imho.

Last edited by texasmr2; 05-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by texasmr2
I have been denied twice by FBSO as recently as last month. The one thing about law enforcement is it is not what you know but who you know because I graduated in the top 1% and have all my continuing education.
That's the one thing I don't like at all about law enforcement. It doesn't matter how honest or qualified you are - its all about who you know.

One of my friends is a crazy mother **** yet he's still going through the academy and is basically guaranteed a job because of the people he knows. He knows the chief as well as the head of SWAT and at least 5 officers too. I don't doubt he knows many of them from the countless times he's been in trouble with the law for small things. Somehow he became friends with an officer who really liked him and introduced him to others officers, the chief etc. It also helps he's family friends with the head of the SWAT team...
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i, 07' gallardo, 12' s65

Originally Posted by zach1328
That's the one thing I don't like at all about law enforcement. It doesn't matter how honest or qualified you are - its all about who you know.

One of my friends is a crazy mother **** yet he's still going through the academy and is basically guaranteed a job because of the people he knows. He knows the chief as well as the head of SWAT and at least 5 officers too. I don't doubt he knows many of them from the countless times he's been in trouble with the law for small things. Somehow he became friends with an officer who really liked him and introduced him to others officers, the chief etc. It also helps he's family friends with the head of the SWAT team...
That's how every job is. You gotta know people...
Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 PM
New Members

I ditched the 'Pharm Tech' training last month for various reasons but mainly because it was so 'clinical' ie hands off. I will be starting class in Jan '15 at HCC for my EMS certifications and then will pursue my EMT certification.

Last edited by texasmr2; 10-04-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

i work in the deli/salad bar at my local grocery store ... you can probably guess my title
Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
i work in the deli/salad bar at my local grocery store ... you can probably guess my title

Back in '83 I went to work for a deli and I was horrified when I was relegated to serving patrons at one of the hottest clubs in Houston, man I pulled some cookie. Women love good food so never forget that aspect . One time after a concert the owner was not happy that I gave away $200 worth of food to 'Huey Lewis and the News' but I got to hang with the band backstage and they made sure my dedication was not overlooked, wish I could remember her name.

I am interviewing with a sheriffs department next week for a patrol position, wish me luck.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: '98 Lexus GS300 Prev Ride: '07: 550i

Two gigs.

1 - Information Security for a government agency. I specialized in end user training, network monitoring, and computer forensics investigations.

2 - Freelance web developer. I specialize in developing business and non profit organization websites and web applications.

Quick Reply: So what do you do for work?