Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Fantastic day

Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i
Default Fantastic day

So I had a micro discetomy 2 weeks ago.
Started working again on Monday
Since I couldn't driver for 2 weeks I left the Car with my Indy to work out why my Passenger Restraint Error was coming on....

Turns out it was the IVM and/or my airbag door module. While they had it they updated the software. Apparently it hadn't been updated since 2006 or 2007 (WTF BMW Dealers?). I just got the car this year and was disappointed to have so many errors & things going on...

Alignment and oil change (maint so ok...)
Crank-no-crank - replaced battery
Tranny flush & fill (don't think it was ever done so needed at 85k)
Crank position sensor went bad - fixed
Door Airbag Module - replaced
IVM - thinking it was bad and taking down other sensors and modules

Got the car back today,.... no codes and it drives fantastic. Man do I miss driving this thing!!! Tranny is much smoother than it was before the software upgrade.

Fantastic day!

Last edited by Gangplank; 10-08-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Gangplank
So I had a micro discetomy 2 weeks ago.
Started working again on Monday
Since I couldn't driver for 2 weeks I left the Car with my Indy to work out why my Passenger Restraint Error was coming on....

Turns out it was the IVM and/or my airbag door module. While they had it they updated the software. Apparently it hadn't been updated since 2006 or 2007 (WTF BMW Dealers?). I just got the car this year and was disappointed to have so many errors & things going on...

Alignment and oil change (maint so ok...)
Crank-no-crank - replaced battery
Tranny flush & fill (don't think it was ever done so needed at 85k)
Crank position sensor went bad - fixed
Door Airbag Module - replaced
IVM - thinking it was bad and taking down other sensors and modules

Got the car back today,.... no codes and it drives fantastic. Man do I miss driving this thing!!! Tranny is much smoother than it was before the software upgrade.

Fantastic day!
Hi,

Congrats on keeping your car maintenance/repairs up. Sounds like you have a car that's at least 8 yrs. old and what you listed is really not that bad for a car that age. The key with these cars is to go above and beyond the recommended BMW schedule (iDrive Condition based driving). For example, according to the iDrive, my car only needs an oil change every 15K miles. Yeah right, and the pope is turning protestant...

Anyway, kudos to you for replacing the "lifetime" tranny fluid. BMW came up with the biggest fraud of all time when they made normal transmission fluid changes a "lifetime" event so that they would not have to cover it under their 4-year, free maintenance program. I'm amazed that the government does not step in and force them to change their policy on this. There will be a lot of blown transmissions when this car becomes a classic. Meanwhile, enjoy the car. It really is a fine car, albeit a very complex and sophisticated and over engineered car. With proper maintenance, you will find that most of your breakdowns are most likely going to be caused by faulty sensors more than anything else.

It still does not cease to amaze me how splendid it feels driving my car, even after almost nine years.