Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm surprised there's not more discussion here about the Olympics...am I the only one watching?

That USA/Canada hockey game last night was sure fun to watch!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

I opened my facebook to unveil an eruption of excuses.. which quickly reminded me why I don't watch hockey anymore.

It could very-well be because Canada lost, but the sport has been on a steady decline lately, and the fans.. blah.. I guess that depends on where you live.

As for the rest of the olympics, yes! I've been watching, and so have a ton of friends of mine.

Don't ask me why I was up until 1AM watching women's curling.. I may have actually enjoyed it (don't tell anyone...)

Speed track, Super G, moguls, bobsleigh, skeleteon.. almost everything has been a thrill to watch

Again, don't tell anyone about the curling thing
Old 02-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Fantastic: Snowboard Cross, Ski Cross, Super G, short-track speed skating, Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled, Ski Jumping, Curling.

Boring: Ice Hockey (it's a girls game that they put on ice ... to make it more manly?), long-track speed skating, biathlon, cross-country skiing.

Hating: Ice-dancing (half a pound of make-up and silly costumes dancing to johnny cash songs - sorry, that's not a sport - it should remain on those crappy reality ice dancing shows with celebs where it belongs).
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Have to say I can't agree on the Ice Hockey thing, DD... And I'd strongly suggest you don't share your assessment of the sport being a "girl's game" with anyone that actually plays it...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Have to say I can't agree on the Ice Hockey thing, DD... And I'd strongly suggest you don't share your assessment of the sport being a "girl's game" with anyone that actually plays it...
Just trying to stir things up on a Monday morning although you know it's true. At school in England it's a game only played by girls. The boys play football (soccer), rugby and cricket. I imagine in Canada they can never see the grass due to snow and ice so they were forced to play it on skates, and because they were being made fun of for playing a girls game they added the fighting element to it to "man it up" a bit

There, that'll be enough to stir things up a bit more. We need a good slanging match to start the week off right
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

I wouldn't put hockey down on the basis of being girly, or manly.. but the general direction of its market and fan bases etc.. It's entertainment value is subjective.. and um.. I think it has taken the same path as boxing (in the last 5 yrs.)

Of course none of this applies if you live in Canada, Scandinavia or Eastern Europe
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

DD, in the US soccer is a girls game! And I totally agree with that!
Soccer is the most boring sport ever!

And if you ever watched a NHL hockey game you would change your mind. Or, if you ever met one of the players in person...
Hockey players are some of the best athletes. They are real athletes!
It's a tactical, physical, fast team sport.
Definately not a girls game!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman
DD, in the US soccer is a girls game! And I totally agree with that!
Soccer is the most boring sport ever!
You can't really judge whether a game is for girls based just on what the US thinks though. They're only 4% of the world's population. The other 96% think it's the best game in the world, and I agree with them

Originally Posted by Iceman
And if you ever watched a NHL hockey game you would change your mind. Or, if you ever met one of the players in person...
Hockey players are some of the best athletes. They are real athletes!
It's a tactical, physical, fast team sport.
Definately not a girls game!
I know, I don't really think it's a game for (as Arnie would say) Girliemen. I'm just mixing up Hockey and Ice Hockey for controversial effect. Those guys look as tough as rugby players and probably have as few remaining teeth as them too. I do find it boring though (but I also find Cricket and Rugby boring too).
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

US is basically owning everyone.

Nothing new really...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

LOL, I hope other countries start owning too GO CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics