Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

FS: E60 OEM amp PnP trunk subwoofer harness with built in LOC

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it I have Hi-Fi
Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Pav636
Got it I have Hi-Fi
The HiFi harness is on backorder for the next 2 weeks...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Good morning Technic,
I too have the stock HiFi system in my car and would like to modify the sound. Here's what I would like to do. I got the idea from Bruce Miranda. I would like to re-use the OEM HiFi amp to drive only the front speakers and a center channel driver if possible. I can hide it above the glovebox in the front. In order to do this I will need to re-wire the CIC outputs by taking the speaker outputs and feeding them as amp inputs and then amp outputs feed back to the speaker wires. As I understood, there is no cross-over function in the amp itself, all low-pass filtering is done in the HU so the Hi-Fi amp is just a low-in high-out.

I would also like to then replace the OEM amp in the back with a four channel amp, two channels to drive the subs and two channels to drive the rear speakers. This should allow for a reasonable enhancement given that the speakers are now all being driven by amps from low level outputs of the CIC.

In addition, this solution avoids the need to runs new wires through the car to the speakers given that it reuses the existing wire routes. I would also like to change the sub woofers under the driver seat and as mentioned earlier, also try to add a center channel speaker.

Here's where you come in Would it be possible for you to make the following harness assemblies for me:
(01) Interface Harness from CIC (Quadralock) for front speaker outputs to OEM amp inputs and amp outputs back to front speaker wires (Quadralock). Also power & GND from the Quadralock to the OEM amp.
(02) Interface Harness from rear OEM amp connector to four channel amp and then amp outputs back to subs and rear speaker wires

Is there a better solution for underseat subs other than Earthquakes SWS-8 8" Shallow mounts that would fit perfectly without mechanical modification? Possibly Rainbow or Morel? Jehnert also offers a 8" XE-200 woofer. I think this is a direct fit but not sure about sound quality?

Any recommendations for a suitable amp for the rears and subs that would fit in the spot over the rear left wheel-well in the trunk? Is Tru Technologies Steel Series S44 an option? I could then hide it with the trim used in E60s with DVD changers.

If I were to also install a center channel Micro Precison 5.8 wideband driver, Could I use the OEM HiFi amp to drive this also?

My apologies for the somewhat confusing and long-winded post. As usual your feedback is much appreciated.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Good morning Technic,
I too have the stock HiFi system in my car and would like to modify the sound. Here's what I would like to do. I got the idea from Bruce Miranda. I would like to re-use the OEM HiFi amp to drive only the front speakers and a center channel driver if possible. I can hide it above the glovebox in the front. In order to do this I will need to re-wire the CIC outputs by taking the speaker outputs and feeding them as amp inputs and then amp outputs feed back to the speaker wires. As I understood, there is no cross-over function in the amp itself, all low-pass filtering is done in the HU so the Hi-Fi amp is just a low-in high-out.

I would also like to then replace the OEM amp in the back with a four channel amp, two channels to drive the subs and two channels to drive the rear speakers. This should allow for a reasonable enhancement given that the speakers are now all being driven by amps from low level outputs of the CIC.

In addition, this solution avoids the need to runs new wires through the car to the speakers given that it reuses the existing wire routes. I would also like to change the sub woofers under the driver seat and as mentioned earlier, also try to add a center channel speaker.

Here's where you come in Would it be possible for you to make the following harness assemblies for me:
(01) Interface Harness from CIC (Quadralock) for front speaker outputs to OEM amp inputs and amp outputs back to front speaker wires (Quadralock). Also power & GND from the Quadralock to the OEM amp.
(02) Interface Harness from rear OEM amp connector to four channel amp and then amp outputs back to subs and rear speaker wires

Is there a better solution for underseat subs other than Earthquakes SWS-8 8" Shallow mounts that would fit perfectly without mechanical modification? Possibly Rainbow or Morel? Jehnert also offers a 8" XE-200 woofer. I think this is a direct fit but not sure about sound quality?

Any recommendations for a suitable amp for the rears and subs that would fit in the spot over the rear left wheel-well in the trunk? Is Tru Technologies Steel Series S44 an option? I could then hide it with the trim used in E60s with DVD changers.

If I were to also install a center channel Micro Precison 5.8 wideband driver, Could I use the OEM HiFi amp to drive this also?

My apologies for the somewhat confusing and long-winded post. As usual your feedback is much appreciated.

Everything here is sound and in fact as I did it. I would have built these for you but I can't get hold of the Metra parts needed to build the quadlock bits in the UK and then getting them imported from the US only to export the product from the UK seems a bit much. No one would want to pay me for that.

The cable itself is quite simple and infact everything is plug and play. Power for the front amp comes from the front fuse box - there are always several spare fuse spares that I just missing the bottom double leaf spring connector (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=61&fg=15). Also the Ground point is also in the passenger's footwell and is connected by a Flat Fan connector (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=61&fg=15) itself or you can use the screwpoint on the fuse box itself using something like http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&hg=61&fg=15

I was lucky in that I had bought the CIC idrive interface and that came with a pnp harness that I modified to give me what I needed.

The only problem I can see is with your centre channel. In order to provide a true centre channel you need a sound processor that will take both channels and output a centre channel. If you simply use one channel to as a centre then you will get a distorted stereo sound. If this is definitely what you wanted then consider running all the speakers using the JBL audio processor and then only run the subs using another amp. Earthquakes are best for fit but if I did it again I would consider using something else maybe the Pioneer, but you will need custom mounts.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Everything here is sound and in fact as I did it. I would have built these for you but I can't get hold of the Metra parts needed to build the quadlock bits in the UK and then getting them imported from the US only to export the product from the UK seems a bit much. No one would want to pay me for that.

The cable itself is quite simple and infact everything is plug and play. Power for the front amp comes from the front fuse box - there are always several spare fuse spares that I just missing the bottom double leaf spring connector (http://www.realoem.c...156&hg=61&fg=15). Also the Ground point is also in the passenger's footwell and is connected by a Flat Fan connector (http://www.realoem.c...063&hg=61&fg=15) itself or you can use the screwpoint on the fuse box itself using something like http://www.realoem.c...765&hg=61&fg=15

I was lucky in that I had bought the CIC idrive interface and that came with a pnp harness that I modified to give me what I needed.

The only problem I can see is with your centre channel. In order to provide a true centre channel you need a sound processor that will take both channels and output a centre channel. If you simply use one channel to as a centre then you will get a distorted stereo sound. If this is definitely what you wanted then consider running all the speakers using the JBL audio processor and then only run the subs using another amp. Earthquakes are best for fit but if I did it again I would consider using something else maybe the Pioneer, but you will need custom mounts.
Thanks for the feedback Bruce. You input is always valuable. I would rather stick to this setup even if it means I have no center channel as I would rather not have to rip the car apart (again) to run new speaker wires etc. If you don't mind me asking, was there something about the Earthquakes that did not meet your expectations?

Lets see if we can get to the bottom of this wiring harness assembly. I've sent you a PM....
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Good morning Technic,

I ran out of both the Quadralock and the OEM amp harnesses months ago... I should have some OEM amp harnesses in stock in a couple of weeks and perhaps a short run of Quadralock harnesses by mid June.

Now about your plan... to facilitate your install and maximize your budget you should consider a 6-channel aftermarket amp instead of simply hacking the OEM amp. This is because you have a CIC now which provides you with 4 full range, flat, low level and balance outputs. This means that you can connect the CIC outputs directly to a JL Audio XD600/6 for example and drive all your speakers.

In other words you do not need any of my harnesses, you can create your own. Get this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...W03B-VW03.html and this: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/71_9003.html and make a junction on the 8 speakers wires. The CIC side of the Quadralock will have two sets (4 outputs) of wire to RCA cables: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...l.php?cat_id=5 and the speaker side will have just 8 wires as inputs to your front and rear speakers. Run RCA cables to your 6-channel amp, and wire the amp 4-channel outputs back to the male Quadralock 8 speaker input wires. The other 2-channels will drive the woofers.

Run new wires from those 2 outputs to your woofers (you will be replacing the OEM woofers any way so use that opportunity to layout new wires) and that's it.

The center channel is useless unles you have a center channel processor of some kind to blend this speaker to the rest, otherwise it is useless.

For underseat woofers I suggest a set of Kicker SSMB8 or the Rainbow X-Plain W200. Anything else -Morel, Jehnert- will be in the $400 a pair. The SWS-8 are not bad, but they are not that great for midbass without a processor.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The problem with multi channel amps is finding space up front to house it. And if you don't house it up front then you have to run long lengths of cable around the car or rewire the speakers.

I have seen some people who have built custom footwell trim pieces that house an amp below the glovebox. That would work well.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Great info guys! Thanks a mil. Any ideas on where I could find E60 spacers for the Kicker SSMB8 under-seat woofers? I'm trolling Bay as we speak for the other hardware.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Contributors

I have seen some people who have built custom footwell trim pieces that house an amp below the glovebox. That would work well.
Bruce,
This is something I would not mind fabricating myself. Any forum posts, or pics you know of?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Contributors

Great info guys! Thanks a mil. Any ideas on where I could find E60 spacers for the Kicker SSMB8 under-seat woofers? I'm trolling Bay as we speak for the other hardware.
This E90Post forum member can make them... http://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=44237

Quick Reply: FS: E60 OEM amp PnP trunk subwoofer harness with built in LOC