Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

CKS coilover for E60 Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to post pictures of install on my E61 535xi wagon-of-dooooom... Admittedly the lack of instructions was a surprise but the install went smoothly with basic tools and a smidge of logic & simple visual observation..

I've done tons of auto repair, parts swaps, mild-to-WIIIILD modifications but never personally installed coilovers before & it was as simple & intuitive as replacing any strut with a quickstrut/EZStrut assembly.

Remove cabin air filters, strut bar, then 3 bolts on top. Pull your wheels off then just unbolt: sway bar link, a brake line or something (trying to remember since my phone isnt letting me load the pics I took during procedure) then removed pinch bolt at hub to free the entire strut assembly. I used a pry bar &/or chisel to spread the hub where pinch bolt was & viola!! Whole Sh'bang was easily removed w/ 1 hand & placed on table.

New, gorgeously sexy, CKS unit slid easily into place & held initially by one of those top nuts removed at beginning of process. Then very easy I'llline up & engage coilover body into hub, install pinch bolt, sway bar link, etc. Reach up & snug all 3 nuts from removal except you exchange old durtynuts for shiny new SS hardware that was included in my kit..

Rears were equally easy/intuitive & then all that remains is to dial them in to a setting & trial-n-error your way to a pretty good/good enough configuration (check nothing rubs or interferes throughout entire range of motion) then limp your happy ass to nearest suspension god for final dial in and adjustment process to make your baby turn & rotate & respond & transfer weight with precision & at Will....

That is all. No issues with rusting hardware or even signs of oxidation for that matter.. I'll try to remember fresh pics whenever I convince myself to finally buy a set of corner weights & REALLY set her fat-ass up properly!

Pics of initial installation will be up once I get home & manage to post them from more reliable source than my (waay overdue for replacement) phone.

Hope my write up helps. I got my CKS coilovers a little before Xmas 2014 & its the wife's car so ride quality was a MAJOR CONCERN.. She was pleased with the ride but LOVED the look of the car along with more planted & compliant handling (I'm paraphrasing her actual wording into car-speak)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 535xi Prem. Package
Model Year: 2008 535xi

I just ordered mine today. Cant wait to try these out.