Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

Who started this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah I never knew there was so much history lol. Yeah WTF is up with RF's software? How can you LIVE with that?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 18 2004, 08:58 AM
The following should be posted as a FAQ

Posted by Rudy, 10/14/04
--------------------------------
I'm no forum historian so someone correct my facts if they are wrong but here goes...

Dave (das) started this forum on June 2nd 2003.? He can explain why he did so.? Ironically, I don't think Dave even owns an E60, he has an E39 and an E34.? At the time the board was hosted on a server (Macintosh) at the University of Wisconsin where Dave works at the URL e60.doit.wisc.edu.? The forums were not very busy but had some interesting posters.? Mainly, the site was a good source of information on the E60.? It contained things like press kits, brochures, etc.

Mark (Lomag) hosted a page or two under the URL www.bmw545.com that contained some official photos and news stories about the upcoming release of the E60.? Mark ordered a 545i early (delivered in Feb '04, I believe) and he most likely made his site because of his enthusiasm for the car.? It was Mark's site that contained some links to both RF and das' sites.

After ordering my car in November 2003, I discovered Mark's site first (Google) and he and I exchanged a couple emails to try to get to the bottom of some information I was hearing around December 2003 with regard to SMG delays, etc.? I began to lurk in about three or four BMW related forums and found that RF was the most active when it came to the E60.? I hated the software interface they used over there from day one but since they had the traffic, I decided to participate over there.? (I even remember posting a thread asking them to consider upgrading the software to something better but they replied defending theirs as much better.? )

As everyone knows, that software over there, as well as the lack of any effective moderation, breeds trolls.? The controversial design of the E60 caused a divide between the lovers and the haters -- also the lovers and the jealous, I think!? The RF board became overrun with troll posts and all of us were pretty annoyed by them.

On May 22, 2004, Lomag posted a thread on RF called "Why do we bother with this message board?" and publically asked the question we all had in our heads.? He mentioned a few other BMW related boards that we could move to (das' forums, German Car Fans, Bimmerfest, etc.) and all I know is that I was tremendously excited that some momentum finally existed that might help us with a sort of mass exodus from RF over to something more enjoyable.? I immediately chimed in with my reply and recommendation that we choose das' forums over the others because his forums were strictly E60 and the others were organized by "3 series", "5 series", etc. so we'd have to sift through posts about older cars to find what we were looking for.? To me, Dave had already set up the perfect forum, we just needed to give it some life and try to keep up the momentum.

Here is a link to my post and what's left of the thread that started it all...? (Funny that they deleted Mark's original post to cause it to dissapear from the board but you can still read the replies!? What crap that software is!!)

It's interesting to know that once we started "selling" people to come over to das' forums, the moderators finally showed up and started deleting any references to Dave's site.? There was chaos over there, people posting under other people's names, etc.? My posting ability there was quickly shut off but not before a handful of people started to post in "our new home" over here.?

I immediately started a thread here on that infamous day called "Hello RF converts!" and did my best to thank das for creating the forum and to try and keep the momemtum up by welcoming anyone who chose to switch over from that other, horrible place!? Call me selfish but I was determined to not let the momemtum die -- I really, really didn't want to go back to RF, that terrible interface, and those terrible trolls.? Here is a link to my welcome thread.? In that thread, you'll see some familiar names, JDN, sg530, Dantheman, kscarrol, Rizbel, Matrix, jtxc, BMWHobo, sj3, browellm, ethanbmw, heezy545i, rollee, etc.? Thanks to those guys and many others for sticking around and allowing the momentum that we built on that day to cascade into something quite big and successful!?

What happened next?? Well, besides the coming of Iceman, the forums grew and became more popular.? Again, I can't speak for Dave and Mark but I think the little "hobby" that Dave was running on the school's servers was becoming large enough that they probably wanted it moved to it's own domain, etc.? That's where Lomag picked up the ball.? Mark's company is involved with internet hosting, etc. so it was a perfect fit that he take the site and move it to his servers.

Today, we all have Dave to thank for getting everything started and Mark to thank for starting the RF thread and for taking a great little site and turning it into something much greater!? Thank you two guys for everything!?

[Edited by das to add urls and reference to Rudy's original post]
[snapback]46307[/snapback]
Thanks for this post. I always wondered how this started. I always hated roadfly. I imagined a bunch of ingrates who dont even own cars, much less an E60 sitting around in their stained skivys tossing around their bitter opinions about something they really know nothing about first hand.

This board is refined with a wealth of information. It gives us access to others who share our enthusiasm for this engineering marvel. Thanks Mark.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Members

Great job on this awesome site!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

YOU (we) are still the best!

Thx for all the help and info all sharing and caring
Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

was e60.net formally www.bmw545i.com? Just wondering......i used to use bmw545i.com to see update version of the e60 spy pictures..
Old 10-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ats77' date='Oct 2 2005, 07:56 AM
? ? ?

YOU (we) are still the best!

Thx for all the help and info all sharing and caring
[snapback]178109[/snapback]

Besides all the great information about the E60, I really like the diversity of this forum. I always smile at how many e60 pictures we get from around the world. Being an American, (We think the world revolves around us), it is so nice to see e60's in other places. Right hand drive is so weird looking to me. Singapore has an active group, South Africa, you name the country and if the e60 is imported there, we have them on this forum.

It makes me happy to see that we can all throw away our political agenda's and appreciate the fine automobile in the E60. (Yes, I am an idealist)

Regards, Mike
Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:31 PM
was e60.net formally www.bmw545i.com? Just wondering......i used to use bmw545i.com to see update version of the e60 spy pictures..
[snapback]178902[/snapback]
Sort of...

www.bmw545i.com was Lomag's site but I think it was only a page or two with information and pics of the new 5. The E60 forums were on das' site. The two sites merged into e60.net.

I hope we all realize how lucky we are to have such a great site to share our love for such an amazing automobile!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 4 2005, 07:48 AM
www.bmw545i.com was Lomag's site but I think it was only a page or two with information and pics of the new 5.? The E60 forums were on das' site.? The two sites merged into e60.net.

I hope we all realize how lucky we are to have such a great site to share our love for such an amazing automobile!
[snapback]179103[/snapback]
Yes, the old forum and news site was e60.doit.wisc.edu. I still keep the old index at http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/indexold.html in case anyone needs the old information...

Lomag and I had something in common: a hatred of Roadfly at the time. The E60 forum was completely overtaken by trolls, and the admins wouldn't do anything about it. So here we are.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:48 AM
[quote name='amigo525' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:31 PM']was e60.net formally www.bmw545i.com? Just wondering......i used to use bmw545i.com to see update version of the e60 spy pictures..
[snapback]178902[/snapback]
Sort of...

www.bmw545i.com was Lomag's site but I think it was only a page or two with information and pics of the new 5. The E60 forums were on das' site. The two sites merged into e60.net.

[snapback]179103[/snapback]
[/quote]

So maybe i should be considered one of the oldtimers? I started in www.bmw545i.com (longgggg ago) before i was redirected to this site

Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 5 2005, 01:06 AM
Lomag and I had something in common: a hatred of Roadfly at the time. The E60 forum was completely overtaken by trolls, and the admins wouldn't do anything about it. So here we are.
[snapback]179417[/snapback]
The hate I guess the most of us share.
The situation over there hasn't much changed, it's just a lot LESS posting now.

Quick Reply: Who started this forum?