Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:

I had BMW-Online installed recently and after 3 months am delighted with the service.

I have a minor technical issue with the way the software behaves, which my dealer is looking into, but otherwise I thinks it's good - when we get services in UK like they have in Germany (online allocation and guidance to your car parking space in town as you leave home, for example) then I would upgrade my good to great!

This post isn't going to be full of words, instead it is full of pictures.

I apologise for the poor quality of some of the images - it seems it took me a while to get the camera set up correctly... Read on some of them do get better.

Picture one shows the system establishing a session after which time the lawyer screen appears.
Yes they even added this disclaimer for us in the UK.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-1.jpg

With the session established, you receive the main menu page, which is your anchor point for all services and you receive the Hot News of the minute without having to ask for it. It is usually accompanied by a sexy graphic which has been getting much larger of late.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-2.jpg

The news service will offer a number of topics for you to select.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-3.jpg

and you can drill-down on a particular article to get the full text rather than just the headline.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-4.jpg

There are plenty of news options to keep most people occupied on their commute into the office.

The real strength of this system is the ability to send and receive emails in real time from the iDrive.

Your mail account exists on the BMW Server (you will be issued with our own email address something like john.doe@bmw-online.co.uk and you can also configure exchanges with any external POP3 mailbox.

You (or you and another chosen individual) then have administrative control of the email account from both the car and from an internet connected PC.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-5.jpg

once you're configured then the system works just as you would expect it to.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-6.jpg

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-7.jpg

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-8.jpg

The online server handles such requirements as your email mailbox, your personal account profile and route planning, so you can configure your route while sitting at your desk and then send it to your car to save fiddling around when you step in (Or better still get your secretary to do it for you...!)

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-9.jpg

The other great benefit of Online are the business directories. You can choose to find a business while you are out on the road by name, location or category. The database is provided in UK by Dunn & Bradstreet and so it's already likely to be as good as it will get.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-10.jpg

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-11.jpg

Once you've located the establishment that you're looking for you have the optons to:

Send the information across to the guidance system for routing to the address

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-12.jpg

Initiate a telephone call

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-13.jpg

Or simply add to your online address book (which is available in the car or on your PC).

Finally there are a set of options which allow you to configure how your screen looks

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-15.jpg

and finally you will need to terminate the session otherwise it will stay active until you do so.

What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?-14.jpg

So, that's my 2-penneth. I can't claim to know what I'm talking about, but as there didn't seem to be much information rolling aroind the forum about ONLINE then I thought something might be better than nothing.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Cool stuff. Some usefull stuff some not.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Interesting. Here in the US, we already have Verizon phones in all the E60s that ship for Assist. It would be trivial for BMW to upgrade future cars (with retrofit available for old ones) to EVDO to support this kind of a service here.

Here's hoping someone is listening.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='262002' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting. Here in the US, we already have Verizon phones in all the E60s that ship for Assist. It would be trivial for BMW to upgrade future cars (with retrofit available for old ones) to EVDO to support this kind of a service here.
Here's hoping someone is listening.
Agreed 100%!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Members

How much does this cost? Is it per Mb downloaded?

It looks great what set up do you need in the car, I have bluetooth prep, prof nav and media kit would I be able to get it, and how do I go about setting it up?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

very cool! kinda 007 style in real!!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, olivine green, beige interior, SMG, cold weather package, Sport package, Comfort access, Comfort seating, adaptive steering, Navigation

I don't mean to be ignernt, but what exactly do you mean Verizon phones shipped with all the E60's with assist? Am I missing something? I think it would be alright if we had the screens available here that they have over there.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Another thing we Americans can't get, grrr....
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by robcol' post='262173' date='Mar 29 2006, 05:28 PM
I don't mean to be ignernt, but what exactly do you mean Verizon phones shipped with all the E60's with assist? Am I missing something? I think it would be alright if we had the screens available here that they have over there.
BMW Assist is an integrated AMPS/CDMA phone that is serviced by Verizon Wireless I believe. By changing out the hardware, it would be possible to support the EVDO data "broadband" service as it's known in Verizonspeak - where Verizon Wireless has deployed it. That would provide 400kbps-1Mbit/sec of throughput.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

That, my friend, is very cool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is BMW Online and what should be expected from it?