Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

Need some Help Dealing with Insurance Company

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d E60
Default Need some Help Dealing with Insurance Company

Hi
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong sections as i am a new member so please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I was recently in an accident 2 weeks ago and about a week later after i put in my claim they decided to cancel my policy because of misconception because i didn't tell them i had alloy wheels on the car. My front bumper is damaged and both front airbags have deployed. Im not asking them to pay for the alloy wheels, i just want my car repaired and i still have the standard alloy wheels at home.

I don't believe this is very fair as the alloy wheels had nothing to with the accident anyways and it wasn't even my fault i had an accident as she hit me.

Anybody have any info that can help?

Im from the United kingdom
Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

That's crazy! Here in the US, it's not uncommon to have your policy dumped because you make a claim or even more common with multiple claims. You see this a lot with smaller insurance companies, but some larger ones are guilty of it too. My son had one speeding ticket and then had one small bump into another car within a two year timeframe. The payout was less than 1000.00 for the other cars repair. A month before the six month renewal, State Farm jacked is rates for full coverage on his truck. He was originally paying 180.00 and his new rates went to 455.00 a month! Clearly they didn't want to continue to insure him and this must have been their way to get him to leave. He's now in Med school so once he starts his med practice I sure hope he can return the favor to good ole State Farm...

Last edited by tonyb635; 05-31-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by Abtean
Hi
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong sections as i am a new member so please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I was recently in an accident 2 weeks ago and about a week later after i put in my claim they decided to cancel my policy because of misconception because i didn't tell them i had alloy wheels on the car. My front bumper is damaged and both front airbags have deployed. Im not asking them to pay for the alloy wheels, i just want my car repaired and i still have the standard alloy wheels at home.

I don't believe this is very fair as the alloy wheels had nothing to with the accident anyways and it wasn't even my fault i had an accident as she hit me.

Anybody have any info that can help?

Im from the United kingdom

are the wheels factory OEM? I think you can argue with them that BMW wheels are expensive anyway and/or that this was an oversight. sounds odd. I have Beyern chrome rims and I think that would be the least of the concerns in an accident.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

Insurance is extremely state specific in the US, and I'm sure it doesn't even compare to anything in Europe. You need advice from someone who knows insurance law in your area. Depending on where you are, aftermarket wheels can be anything from "no big deal" to "insurance fraud." Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535XI wagon

Insurance companies will do anything they can to screw you.

My wife was in a crash caused by a 90YO lady blowing a stop sign, Police officer was a witness and the lady was cited for failure to stop.
She was driving my Mint condition 2008 Grand Prix GT. This car did not have a spec of damage or wear.
The ladies insurance called her and started asking how fast she was going, did she have her lights on, why did she not swerve to miss the car and so on. I was listing on speaker phone and told him she would answer no questions that he could look at the police report. He said they like to do their own investigations because police reports are wrong sometimes.
In the end they tried to offer us $1900 for the car and her $500 for her 2 days off work and out of pocked medical expenses but she had to sign a paper saying she agreed that it was final.
the car was valued at $5000 by KBB.
They told me I had no choice and had to take their offer. I went back and forth with them for a week. At one point the regional mgr left a voice mail saying they were only paying that much because my car had been totaled and rebuilt in the past which I know was a lie. I got 3 different history reports as proof and with some research found that they violated the Fair insurance settlement act This later caused them to have a 6 figure fine by the state when I reported it with a recording of the voice mail and the records.
In the end I was told to go to the local court house and file a small claims case against the driver of the car for the value of the car.
This cost me $50 which included the cost of serving the lady.
I sent the insurance company a copy of my filing at 3pm the next morning at 9am I got a call asking me what it would cost me to replace my car. I was honest and ask for only the KBB value.
I ended up with close to $6000 for the car plus cost to drop the case and cost of the history reports.
My wife was offered $3000 plus and future medical expenses related to the crash within 1 year.

My advice is never deal with Progressive insurance,