Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

My voice control doesn't work, why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by JC3168' post='204116' date='Nov 28 2005, 04:15 AM
I've tried the voice command to dial a phone number but have problems...the system can't seem to recognize my English...gosh...looks like I may have to learn to speak English with German accent. I just can't get it to recognize one full telephone number despite speaking 1 number at a time, 2 numbers at a time, 3 numbers at a time, etc. The numbers 0, 3, 7, 8, 9 are the ones with the most errors.

The other problem is that I can't get my phone book (Nokia 3230) to syn with the car's. Tried all means but unsuccessful. However, the bluetooth works ok most of the time, with occasional disconnection.
Hi JC3168, regarding your phone book issue, I've got a Nokia 6230, where I could get it to bluetooth in to make an receive calls but no address book. My mate had a new version of the phone which seem to get the address book to work, so I went to a local Nokia Service center who updated the phone's firmware lukcily for free and now it works! So it may be worth getting you firmware upgraded (out of warranty could have cost ?20 and no guarantees that it will solve the issue). Let me know if it works!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kkrazykool' post='214885
I've tried the voice command to dial a phone number but have problems...the system can't seem to recognize my English...gosh...looks like I may have to learn to speak English with German accent. I just can't get it to recognize one full telephone number despite speaking 1 number at a time, 2 numbers at a time, 3 numbers at a time, etc. The numbers 0, 3, 7, 8, 9 are the ones with the most errors.

The other problem is that I can't get my phone book (Nokia 3230) to syn with the car's. Tried all means but unsuccessful. However, the bluetooth works ok most of the time, with occasional disconnection.
Hi JC3168, regarding your phone book issue, I've got a Nokia 6230, where I could get it to bluetooth in to make an receive calls but no address book. My mate had a new version of the phone which seem to get the address book to work, so I went to a local Nokia Service center who updated the phone's firmware lukcily for free and now it works! So it may be worth getting you firmware upgraded (out of warranty could have cost ?20 and no guarantees that it will solve the issue). Let me know if it works!
[/quote]

Had my 6230 upgraded today and now works fine (firmware V.5.5)
Old 12-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Members

I was just testing out some stuff on my car. I have Nav Pro and Bluetooth but, as far as i can tell, n voice commands at all!! Can this be activated by my dealer, is it just a software tweak or does it require additional hardware????
Old 03-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530i - Silver Grey, Black Leather, Anthercite Headlining, HUD, Type 116 Wheels, Sat Nav, Bi-Xenons, Auto dimming/folding mirrors, delivery 1st March 06! Current: E39 525i - Black, Black Leather, Xenons, Through Load, Anthercite Headlining. History: ....

Originally Posted by DaveDunn' post='214975' date='Dec 23 2005, 06:47 PM
I was just testing out some stuff on my car. I have Nav Pro and Bluetooth but, as far as i can tell, n voice commands at all!! Can this be activated by my dealer, is it just a software tweak or does it require additional hardware????
I've also got Nav pro and Blue thooth and not voice commands. Is it available as a retrofit? I'd assumed it was included in the media package.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

I have Business navigation. My I-drive menu is in English but the bluetooth/voice activation fraulein speaks German to me. My bluetooth manual has a list of the voice commands in English only. Same for the pdf's on this site. Can someone please:

1. Point me to a list of voice commands in German ( I can speak basic German).

2. Tell me how to switch the bluetooth module to English (manual claims it should mirror the I-drive language).

Thanks from Poland

Przemek
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='21524' date='Aug 5 2004, 08:56 PM
My voice control doesn't work, why?

Although BMW phone owners (CPT9000) can enjoy voice control over their phone, only owners of the NAV option (Nav Professional in Europe) can enjoy voice control over entertainment, climate, car settings, and navigation. Voice command adds tremendously to the efficiency of using iDrive. Again, in the U.S., voice command of anything other than phone requires the NAV option.
Initially cars built with NAV did not have the voice control system activated however as of February 2004 it is activated by the factory. If your car was built prior to February 2004 your dealer should be able to activate the voice command system for you.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
Hi and thanks for the info. I have a MY05 CPO Mystic Blue 530i. Seems like a rare color. I would love to have the Tan interior option but no luck so far. Tan interior with my packages would be great. Would love to see pixs of your Blue Beauty.

thanks
dtv
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

I have voice control and it rarely gets my commands right. It's a disappointing feature.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Members

Hello,
I also have the voice command system, however; it asks for command, and no matter what I say, it doesnt get it. Seems like I am missing that extended package. I have 2006, 530I without Nav. Can I have that extended package, and most importantly, is there a DIY?
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiWagon

No one's been here in a while, but I have the voice command option, checked at the dealer for latest updates and appropriate modules, but nothing happens when I push either button that's supposed to activate it - no beep, nothing. The dealership can only suggest turning a tech loose on it at $135/hr until he finds the problem.