Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How do I negotiate a good price when buying my

Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='664935' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:43 PM
Because a deal financed by the dealer (bank or BMWFS) can mean additional incentives for the dealer, a offer of "cash" may actually be less attractive (to the dealer).

For US-based folks:

Step one... Open an account at a credit union. Don't -ever- get a loan from a dealer.

Step two... Use a buying service. Edmunds.com, Autobytel, UBS, Costco.

Yes. Costco. You can get new BMWs for $100 over wholesale.

Step three... Judiciously read the contract, and make it clear that you won't be paying for stupid crap like VIN engraving, etc...

Step four... Attempt to haggle over the last remaining items - Dealer holdout, regional marketing fees, destination, title, etc...

Attempt to avoid trading in cars. It's just one more thing that can "muddy the waters" of a deal and give the dealer an opportunity to take a bigger bite.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='664916
Because a deal financed by the dealer (bank or BMWFS) can mean additional incentives for the dealer, a offer of "cash" may actually be less attractive (to the dealer).
I'm glad you brought this up as its a very good point that a lot of people miss. One way you can further negotiate down your car by a few extra percent is to finance the deal even if you could pay it all off in cash. What you'll want to do in that case is to ask them how many payments you have to make until they get their kick back from the manufacturer; usually its about 3 months worth. Once you know the minimum amount of payments, let them know you will then pay off the remaining balance of the loan in full. Make sure that somewhere in writing is the clause that says there is no pre-payment penalty. Yes you will pay a bit in interest for the first three or so payments, but it will be peanuts compared to how much more you can knock off the price of the car due to the dealer kick back. If for some reason they aren't willing to do a no pre-payment penalty, then forget it.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='665089' date='Sep 8 2008, 09:35 PM
Attempt to avoid trading in cars. It's just one more thing that can "muddy the waters" of a deal and give the dealer an opportunity to take a bigger bite.
If you start by negotiating the trade-in value first before anything else there is nothing to muddy. Also, not only will they not low ball you on the trade-in (since you haven't ground them down on the price of the new car yet) but you can often get a tad more than market value since they don't want the trade-in to be the reason you walked out.

Here is a real example of the new 5'er I bought 3 weeks ago. I saw one hell of a deal for a Monaco Blue '07 525i with 14,100 miles listed at $33,800 in pristine condition. Most people would take that price right there and feel like they got a great deal (and they would have), but not us! After I invested about an hour of the sales man's time, I told him I'm interested enough in the car to work the numbers but I first wanted to discuss the value of my trade-in. My trade-in was a Black '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse that was in below-average condition; dings, scratches, dents, manual with a non-working 1st gear. After their appraiser did a test drive they came back at $1,500 which was pretty much right on the money as edmunds listed it at $1,450. I immediately told them that offer wouldn't be acceptable as the BMW dealership a few miles away offered $2,000. Since they thought they were going to sell me the 5'er at the list price, they weren't going to let $500 get into the way, so they agreed on $2,000 for my trade-in. At that point the sales men said "OK, so do we have a deal on the BMW?" At which point I brought to his attention that $33,800 is my starting point. After two rounds of back and forth between me and the GM with my sales man as the messenger, we finally settled on $32,385. So all in all I squeezed out another ~$2,000 on the deal. Had I negotiated the 5'er first, I can guarantee you there is no way I would have gotten $2000 for my trade-in.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SiegeX' post='665190' date='Sep 9 2008, 02:15 AM
My personal feeling is that it sets the wrong tone. GM's have sales personnel for a reason, turning a GM into your own personal sales man is likely to annoy them from the get-go. Sure they'll do it because they don't want to miss a sale, but you just made your job alot tougher. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a time or place to talk to the GM, and I believe you would have a perfect case to ask to speak to the GM after the 2nd offer came back over what you wanted. I know it sucks having to twiddle your thumbs waiting for a response, but remember the more time they have invested in you the harder it is for them to let you walk away as there is some opportunity cost in devoting resources to you.

I'm glad you brought this up as its a very good point that a lot of people miss. One way you can further negotiate down your car by a few extra percent is to finance the deal even if you could pay it all off in cash. What you'll want to do in that case is to ask them how many payments you have to make until they get their kick back from the manufacturer; usually its about 3 months worth. Once you know the minimum amount of payments, let them know you will then pay off the remaining balance of the loan in full. Make sure that somewhere in writing is the clause that says there is no pre-payment penalty. Yes you will pay a bit in interest for the first three or so payments, but it will be peanuts compared to how much more you can knock off the price of the car due to the dealer kick back. If for some reason they aren't willing to do a no pre-payment penalty, then forget it.

If you start by negotiating the trade-in value first before anything else there is nothing to muddy. Also, not only will they not low ball you on the trade-in (since you haven't ground them down on the price of the new car yet) but you can often get a tad more than market value since they don't want the trade-in to be the reason you walked out.

Here is a real example of the new 5'er I bought 3 weeks ago. I saw one hell of a deal for a Monaco Blue '07 525i with 14,100 miles listed at $33,800 in pristine condition. Most people would take that price right there and feel like they got a great deal (and they would have), but not us! After I invested about an hour of the sales man's time, I told him I'm interested enough in the car to work the numbers but I first wanted to discuss the value of my trade-in. My trade-in was a Black '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse that was in below-average condition; dings, scratches, dents, manual with a non-working 1st gear. After their appraiser did a test drive they came back at $1,500 which was pretty much right on the money as edmunds listed it at $1,450. I immediately told them that offer wouldn't be acceptable as the BMW dealership a few miles away offered $2,000. Since they thought they were going to sell me the 5'er at the list price, they weren't going to let $500 get into the way, so they agreed on $2,000 for my trade-in. At that point the sales men said "OK, so do we have a deal on the BMW?" At which point I brought to his attention that $33,800 is my starting point. After two rounds of back and forth between me and the GM with my sales man as the messenger, we finally settled on $32,385. So all in all I squeezed out another ~$2,000 on the deal. Had I negotiated the 5'er first, I can guarantee you there is no way I would have gotten $2000 for my trade-in.
I think Gm Sales Representative is there for reason but they actually dont take too much interest in us , when I had been there
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 AM
6er
Members

It's all about having the right attitude and dressing right...

Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

it doesnt work with used cars though. I hate this. I can negotiate a GREAT price for a friend but not myself. Someone should ALWAYS go with me and buy a car. I always leave w/o a car when I walk in with someone else. If I'm by myself, I'll buy it if I like it. I dont care spending 2-3K more. I'm an idiot. LOL.

never respond to a dealer's monthly payment. Respond to the MSRP and ask them about hidden fees before hand. They love to jerk you around.