Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How do I negotiate a good price when buying my

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='576120' date='May 7 2008, 06:04 PM
r u kidding me... if u came in my store and pulled that ill let you walk out... my sales reps have familys and have to pay bills... in other words your trying to steal the car... WHAT we cant make money on cars... please.. tell your father he dont know SH1t!!!!!!!!.. as long as you come with respect and understand its a place of busness.. you dont go to god dam macys and ask for a GM WHEN YOUR BUYING STUFF... OR AT THE SUPER MARKET... please dont take this guys word.... the sales reps are the heart and sole of dealerships.... i dont know what dealer ship you go to... my guys have the power to sell at what ever price is deem fit... as long as its not in hold back its fine.... you want a good deal talk to me....
Wow...holy 3 1/2 years ago!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='576120' date='May 7 2008, 03:04 PM
my guys have the power to sell at what ever price is deem fit... as long as its not in hold back its fine.... you want a good deal talk to me....

So are you a sales rep or a GM? You contradict yourself at the end there, you use the term "my guys" as if you area GM. And if we want a good deal, "Talk to you". So by talking to you we would be talking to the GM,, exactly what seemed to get you fired up in the first place? And if you are just a sales rep, I could see why you got fired up already. I used a similar method to the original posters (prior to even reading this), via internet sales department...definitely walked away happy.

Just my $0.02 on it..okay

BTT...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='576289' date='May 7 2008, 10:23 PM
So are you a sales rep or a GM? You contradict yourself at the end there, you use the term "my guys" as if you area GM. And if we want a good deal, "Talk to you". So by talking to you we would be talking to the GM,, exactly what seemed to get you fired up in the first place? And if you are just a sales rep, I could see why you got fired up already. I used a similar method to the original posters (prior to even reading this), via internet sales department...definitely walked away happy.

Just my $0.02 on it..okay

BTT...
NO IM A SALES MANAGER
Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributors

all im saying is that you dont have to talk with a GM to get a good deal..... if anything youll whind up spending more money.... just do your homework and know what you want.... wasting a gm`s time to do something a sales rep can do is point less... it just show how much of a magget you really are... the prob people have is about 65% of sales reps suck and there not trained the right way.... so i could understand y you would want to talk to a manager.....but at the same time that sales rep will not forget you and the way you used him or her... dont be suprized if you whind up with a scrath or two when you get home.....
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='576567' date='May 8 2008, 11:39 AM
all im saying is that you dont have to talk with a GM to get a good deal..... if anything youll whind up spending more money.... just do your homework and know what you want.... wasting a gm`s time to do something a sales rep can do is point less... it just show how much of a magget you really are... the prob people have is about 65% of sales reps suck and there not trained the right way.... so i could understand y you would want to talk to a manager.....but at the same time that sales rep will not forget you and the way you used him or her... dont be suprized if you whind up with a scrath or two when you get home.....

I see you are a little upset but should refrain from hostile responses. It's only an opinion and does not mean that everyone will follow what is recommended or said here to the letter. It's a place to learn and acquire information and advice. Everyone will approach a purchase differently because of experience but don't let advice get you upset. It's good to be informed.

Thanks, Rick....
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='576567' date='May 8 2008, 08:39 AM
but at the same time that sales rep will not forget you and the way you used him or her... dont be suprized if you whind up with a scrath or two when you get home.....

I really hope you don't condone or participate in that type of behavior on your lot...both unprofessional and illegal...not very encouraging to do business with you or your lot.... :thumbsdown:

I would like to think/hope a sales rep and especially a sales manager conducts themselves at a much higher level of professionalism...

Again, this thread is for info, opinions/discussion could be discussed/continued via PM so we do not clutter this thread....
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Members

I'm going to have to agree with 530ISport on this. Laying down demands and putting time limits from the get-go is probably the worst thing you could do. Remember, this is called a NEGOTIATION, not an ULTIMATUM. When you start putting demands on people, you start bringing emotions into the mix which is something you absolutly want to avoid because emotional people will do irrational things even if its agaisnt their best interest. I certainly don't condone scratching cars to get in the last lick, but this is a great example of why you want emotions out of this enviornment. Both people need to leave feeling like they got a good deal. I prefer the face to face method as that generally gives you the best results but its also the hardest to do if you're not used to it because most people aren't comfortable with confrontation and being able to stick by their guns when up against a seasoned sales man.

Here are two other tips:

1) If you are going to have a trade-in, make sure you negotiate the trade-in value FIRST before you even starting talking numbers about the car you want. Otherwise, no matter how great of a deal you got on the new car, you're going to give it all back when they low ball you on the trade-in value.

2) Never, ever, ever buy any of that crap they try to sell you once you've agreed on a price. The best quote I heard that sums this up is "You don't go shopping at the movie theater just to buy candy and popcorn." No matter what they are trying to sell, you can normally find it elsewhere for significantly less.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by SiegeX' post='664910' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm going to have to agree with 530ISport on this. Laying down demands and putting time limits from the get-go is probably the worst thing you could do. Remember, this is called a NEGOTIATION, not an ULTIMATUM. When you start putting demands on people, you start bringing emotions into the mix which is something you absolutly want to avoid because emotional people will do irrational things even if its agaisnt their best interest. I certainly don't condone scratching cars to get in the last lick, but this is a great example of why you want emotions out of this enviornment. Both people need to leave feeling like they got a good deal. I prefer the face to face method as that generally gives you the best results but its also the hardest to do if you're not used to it because most people aren't comfortable with confrontation and being able to stick by their guns when up against a seasoned sales man.

Here are two other tips:

1) If you are going to have a trade-in, make sure you negotiate the trade-in value FIRST before you even starting talking numbers about the car you want. Otherwise, no matter how great of a deal you got on the new car, you're going to give it all back when they low ball you on the trade-in value.

2) Never, ever, ever buy any of that crap they try to sell you once you've agreed on a price. The best quote I heard that sums this up is "You don't go shopping at the movie theater just to buy candy and popcorn." No matter what they are trying to sell, you can normally find it elsewhere for significantly less.
I agree with those points but speaking with the sales manager (or whomever determines the deals) directly would have saved me a lot of time and frustration on my last tranaction. I knew the bottom line, approx trade-in, and monthly payment I wanted. After waiting 20 minutes, the first offer was waaay off. I was ready to leave but the salesman said they could do better. So I asked "OK what really is your best price & bottom line". After another 20 minute wait (salesman going to the GM) they came back $300 better or about $10 per month. After getting up, and being asked "what will it take to buy it today" (I HATE THAT), I gave them a number. After another 30 minutes of twidling my thumbs they came back still $80 per month over, promising it was their best. I told them they were still low balling the trade in of a 2 year old, slightly above average mileage, perfect condition car, already with a CPO and that other dealers were offering $1000s more. After another 30 minutes, they split the difference and I got the payment I wanted.

Why couldn't I have talked straight with the finance mgr or GM and got that deal on the first shot?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I just steal the cars off the lots. I do it in under 30 seconds and don't have to talk to anyone.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hatchd' post='87047' date='Feb 5 2005, 01:55 PM
Do any of these methods change when paying for a car in cash?
BTW-very useful post.
Because a deal financed by the dealer (bank or BMWFS) can mean additional incentives for the dealer, a offer of "cash" may actually be less attractive (to the dealer).

Quick Reply: How do I negotiate a good price when buying my