Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How can I check the status of my car's production?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW
Thumbs up

How can I check the status of my car's production?

There are three ways to track your car through the build and delivery process. They are:

1) Your dealer. Tthey have the most up-to-date information. Others sources can be at least a few days to 1 week behind.
2) BMW Owner's Circle (http://oc.bmwusa.com). Again, not completely up to date. Some have reported that Owner's Circle said their car was still on the boat when the dealer called the customer saying their new E60 was ready for pickup.
3) BMW North America at 800-831-1117. There is an IVR system where you punch in your car's production number VIN number and you get a recorded status announcement. Again, not as up-to-date as your dealer but usually more up-to-date than Owners Circle

One really cool tracking aid is the shipping company's web site. In many cases, you key in your new car's VIN number and the site will tell you what boat it's on and their current location and schedule information. Once it's reasonably close to the US, a Coast Guard website can show you a picture of exactly where your boat is and give the latest weather/sea report that your car's boat made over its radio! Search for "tracking" in our forums search utility.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

To track the car once it's left the port, the following information might help:

BMW uses more than one shipper to move cars. The best shipper for tracking your "cargo" is Wallenius Wilhelmsen. If you are lucky enough to have your car shipped on Wallenius Wilhelmsen, you can do the following to track it:
  • Click on this link to bring up the Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking window.

• In the "Cargo ID" field, enter the VIN of your car and click "Track." If your car is on a Wallenius Wilhelmsen vessel, additonal information should appear. If nothing appears, either your car is on another carrier or the data hasn't been entered in the system yet. Since the data can be behind a day or so, try entering your VIN again at a later time.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I have tried to look up my vehicle using the WW website, but my car is not on it. I know it is on a ship. I read their is another shipping company used to ship cars. Does anyone know the other company and if it has a similar shipping resource to track my car?
Old 10-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 30 2004, 03:09 PM
I have tried to look up my vehicle using the WW website, but my car is not on it.? I know it is on a ship.? I read their is another shipping company used to ship cars.? Does anyone know the other company and if it has a similar shipping resource to track my car?
[snapback]39838[/snapback]
The other companies do not allow you to track their ships.

Also as Rudy and Lomag suggested you can track your ship when it enters waters about 200 miles off the US coast via the National Weather Service web site. They give position reports roughly every 4 hours with sea conditions and water temps and yuo can use this to see where it is.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 2 2004, 09:07 PM
[quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 30 2004, 03:09 PM']I have tried to look up my vehicle using the WW website, but my car is not on it.? I know it is on a ship.? I read their is another shipping company used to ship cars.? Does anyone know the other company and if it has a similar shipping resource to track my car?

Also as Rudy and Lomag suggested you can track your ship when it enters waters about 200 miles off the US coast via the National Weather Service web site. They give position reports roughly every 4 hours with sea conditions and water temps and yuo can use this to see where it is.
[snapback]40691[/snapback]
[/quote]

I looked on the NOAA website and was unable to find it. Does anyone know the link?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Oct 13 2004, 12:53 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Oct 2 2004, 09:07 PM'][quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 30 2004, 03:09 PM']I have tried to look up my vehicle using the WW website, but my car is not on it.? I know it is on a ship.? I read their is another shipping company used to ship cars.? Does anyone know the other company and if it has a similar shipping resource to track my car?

[snapback]40691[/snapback]
[/quote]

I looked on the NOAA website and was unable to find it. Does anyone know the link?
[snapback]44366[/snapback]
[/quote]

This shows it all the way accross...
http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html click Marine Observations
Old 11-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6 Spd Manual, Sport, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, Fold Down RS

If you are able to get your ship's name from your dealer, you can track your boat's journey at:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/allships.phtml

Hope this helps,
Old 12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I have an order number and can see my order details in the Owner's Circle. Will this page eventually show the VIN number once production starts or do I need to contact the dealer for that?

thank you
Old 12-08-2004, 04:38 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by macct' date='Dec 6 2004, 07:24 PM
I have an order number and can see my order details in the Owner's Circle.? Will this page eventually show the VIN number once production starts or do I need to contact the dealer for that?

thank you
[snapback]65755[/snapback]
YES, IT WILL!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

thank you for the reply

Quick Reply: How can I check the status of my car's production?