F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BMW fanatic
What do u guys find good looking in a wagon? haha must be a "Euro thing"

Nah, it just looks cooler than a sedan and at the same time I can haul everything for a multiweek trip or sleep inside in crappy weather when at a trail head.

Winter set up. Trip = NC-Lake Placid to nordic ski - Arkansas to mtn bike ride - Seattle

Summer set up:

Visiting grandma set-up:

2" Hitch for bikes:

Ready to hit the mtns for skiing:
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

Originally Posted by BMW fanatic
What do u guys find good looking in a wagon? haha must be a "Euro thing"
When you have kids and need to bring all kind of stuff with you, especially the stroller, you really don't have a choice if you don't want to break that thing into peaces everytime. Also, cars are so expensive here (a brand new Camaro is $213K in Norway), we really can't afford to buy a car for every need, so we have to compromise.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
Nah, it just looks cooler than a sedan and at the same time I can haul everything for a multiweek trip or sleep inside in crappy weather when at a trail head.
I'm really impressed that you have different roof boxes for you summer and winter set-up
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Mondeoman
Currently running a Mondeo diesel estate and have just pushed the boat out and ordered a standard manual 520D SE, but I now read on the forums that without the suspension upgrades, sat nav, bigger rims etc they are not very good. Have I made a mistake?
You could always install a better suspension later and wheels to make it "new" again after a few years. Aside from the navi.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Members

I've had it for just over 2 months and 2700 mls now and I'm quite pleased, goes well, very refined and handles nicely (but my 04 Mondeo wagon also handled very well). Very pleased with the 520D engine it is quite refined and reasonably punchy plus I'm getting over 50 mpg (UK gals)

The options I really miss are, DAB radio (you can't get Test Match Special without it as the standard radio doesn't do LW, sorry for all our non-UK readers as this will seem gibberish), but have plugged in a portable DAB into the aux socket and that works great and was £80 rather than £300. The other option is that the standard 17" wheels are a bit fiddly to clean and the optional 17" wheels look a bit easier, but that's about it.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

Not all Americans are so ignorant about touring. We buy SUVs which are just higher tourings that don't drive as well and use more gas (and in the same body size usually have slightly less cargo room). What can we say, we're proud and ignorant.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Members

My Ride: Ford Mondeo 2007 2.0Tdci Automatic STW - lots of room for baby seats according to my friends. Waiting to graduate and move abroad and get more suitable car for my taste.

Originally Posted by forceten
Not all Americans are so ignorant about touring. We buy SUVs which are just higher tourings that don't drive as well and use more gas (and in the same body size usually have slightly less cargo room). What can we say, we're proud and ignorant.
Well said! I've been dating an American girl for two years now and every time her friends or family members hear that this young dude (26yrs) drives a diesel station wagon (+automatic gearbox ) all the people seem to think I'm crazy. But I also need to say that those big SUVs would be very tempting cars to own if I lived in the States because they are very suitable for so many different purposes but only if they can they the engine and transmission technology to this century mainly because even those diesels seem to consume quite a bit of diesel. Of course all things have their pros and cons.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Some time ago (before I started buying BMWs) we moved from Audi sedans to a 200 "wagon" ... with the turbo 5 cyl it was one of the most comfortable, fast, capable road cars I had drive. Their reputation continues to grow with additional quattro models and turbo motors.

I think a BMW station wagon touring is better referred to as a sedan with additional cargo capacity
I read that BMW is rethinking its position on diesel options for the US - that would be