F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently running a Mondeo diesel estate and have just pushed the boat out and ordered a standard manual 520D SE, but I now read on the forums that without the suspension upgrades, sat nav, bigger rims etc they are not very good. Have I made a mistake?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

I doubt the statement "not very good".As with any basic specification model in any brand,resale value is usually poorer because buyers want the best specification for their money.When part-exchanging,a dealer will knock your price down listing the "missing" desirable options as the reason.Conversely,you never recoup the extra options costs fully so it is wise to limit options to those that you actually need.
I always go for a model with a good specification and minimise the options.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Members

yes,I agree with you!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Mondeoman
Currently running a Mondeo diesel estate and have just pushed the boat out and ordered a standard manual 520D SE, but I now read on the forums that without the suspension upgrades, sat nav, bigger rims etc they are not very good. Have I made a mistake?
No you have not made a mistake. While it's (imho) true that the F10/F11 is a much better car with gimmicks as adaptive drive, dynamic drive, active steering etc. the basic car itself is still very good and as always all that is also a matter of personal preferences.
Don't forget that many of us here, myself not excluded, and on other forums are extremely critical of these cars and often have a very particular taste, more often than not geared towards dynamic/sporty driving and more or less exotic options. We tend to slam anything other than that so many grains of salt are recommended...
Additionally: so while not my ideal car I can still attest to 'base' F10's being allround excellent cars and I enjoy driving them.

You have taken it for a thorough testdrive haven't you? You liked it as it was I assume so don't ruin the fun by over-analyzing forum comments...

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Members

They only had a saloon in manual so I test drove that and liked it, and on that basis (and the touring they had in the showroom) placed my order for a standard 520D SE, the only option I went for was additional power points, Tasman paint and 3ry servicing deal. Too late to change now as I was advised today that it's in production. I've had my Mondeo for 7 years (bought when <1 year old) and plan to keep the BM the same time or longer. I would have liked to have bought a nearly new, 1-2 year old, but they are like rocking horse droppings so went new.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

You will love it - no mistake made !

You are suffering from what marketers and psychologists call 'post purchase dissonance' sometime called post purchase rationalization - which is very common when folks make big purchases. Check the term out online.

There is nothing wrong with your purchase or the way you are feeling about it, normal, normal, normal !
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Members

Picked it up today, so I guess I am ex-mondeoman, I'll post back in a while once I've got some miles under the belt.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

What do u guys find good looking in a wagon? haha must be a "Euro thing"
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW fanatic
What do u guys find good looking in a wagon? haha must be a "Euro thing"
Definitely a Euro thing, the "wagon" probably outsells the saloon in the UK. I've just got back from a trip to Texas and the guys were wondering how I managed without a truck as a car was no good at carrying stuff, maybe that's next on BMW's list for the US, I couldn't bring myself to get a SUV or Truck
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I believe the sedan-touring ratio is 20-80 in Scandinavia. If you go for a sedan over here you're labelled as being 60+

Quick Reply: Mistake?