F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

1st Month with car 520d SE Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.
Default 1st Month with car 520d SE Touring

Firstly my previous 5 Series was the 530d SE saloon (E60) as was the car before so I was hesitant stepping down to the 2.0l engine but not anymore.
My first E60 had 204hp this car is 184hp in real world driving I cannot except for some overtaking between 30-60 mph feel any difference. Aside from saving tax (company car) and fuel I wanted to add more options than previously ordered with the 503d models. So variable damper control was my first option this is brilliant and it feels like three cars in one with this option, sports car, limo and American limo whith both suspension settings and throttle / gear ratio changed. Great for motorways, good A roads and poor country roads. The fully electric seats with lumber support & electically adjusted steering wheel now mean I can properly set the seat to stearing wheel to pedals for me. The extended lighting, extended air-con both provide creature comforts on long journeys and I arrive relaxed. The electric tailgate is fantasic no more dirty hand shutting the tailgate. The professional sav-nav is good but I hate the fact they have removed the traffic chevrons that were on the previous car this is a mistake (take note BMW). I have not yet used the electric tow bar but I had this on my previous car so it should be the same although the touring has self-levelling rear suspension which the saloon doesnt have. Heated seats have been fab in our recent cold weather and the fit & finish is a marked improvement over the previous two E60 cars.
I have been on two very long trips and my body was not stiff at the end of them like my previous car which on low profile run-flat wheels was firm. So far so good if only white didnt get so dirty in cold damp weather roll on summer.

Last edited by Nova Invicta; 12-14-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Update.
Well nearly six months with the car and aside from a break-in where the theives broke the rear tailgate window spreading glass everywhere and Autoglass scratched the roof replacing the glass its been a great car to drive with one exception the annoying changes to the professional Sat-Nav over the previous E60 LCi which was much better. The traffic light colours for traffic flow are barely readable at certain scales, and the alternative route selection was much easier in the earlier car particularly whilst driving.
The variable damper control is worth every penny best extra Ive ever specified changes the cars handling completely and the 2.0l D engine is a peach.