F10, F11 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the F10. Accessories and modifications too!

DINAN SUSPENSION INSTALLED IN MY 2012 DINAN STAGE 2 550XI M SPORT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Today I got back my ride from Prestige BMW after they installed the Dinan suspension (stiffer springs with custom bumpstops) in my 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi M Sport.

In a word: WOW! These springs should absolutely be an option from BMW on our cars. The stock "sport" suspension is so loose and floaty and allows way too much body roll (even with ARS), brake dive and squat under acceleration. The softness problem is magnified by the boatload of extra horsepower and torque (101 bhp and 130 lbs-ft greater than stock) produced by the Dinan Stage 2 reflash.

Well, the Dinan suspension mod solves the softness problem with aplomb. It stiffens the suspension and eliminate the body roll and greatly reduces brake dive and squatting under acceleration. And yet, it is never unduly harsh. Yes it is harsher than stock but it is never rough. And to me, the stock sport suspension is as soft as a marshmellow. Now the suspension on Sport feels like that on my beloved 2009 E60 550i M Sport (albeit on a much heavier car).

Transient response is greatly improved as well. Now when I take hairpins and on and off ramps -- all of which I tried while pushing the car to its handling limits after getting the car back today with the Dinan suspension -- the car corners with authority and does not roll. You feel so much more connected to the road. Stated differently, I FINALLY feel again like I am driving a BMW and NOT some old, heavy, undersuspended but powerful AMG car. Don't get me wrong, the F10 550xi M Sport is still much heavier and bigger than the E60 550i M Sport and its handing limits are lower but at least now the Dinan suspension brings that mass under control.

Bottom line: I am a believer in the Dinan suspension mod for the 550xi M Sport. It brings the BMW driving experience back. The best $499 (plus) labor you will spend if you value BMW handling.

This is a MUST HAVE mod.

Finally, I want to thank Richard Marcus of Prestige BMW, my M-certified CA who hooked me up with this mod (as well as sold me my car). He is one of the few CAs out there (Jeffnnj being another) who knows our cars as well or better than I do. Hard to find.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Wow not a single response.

What the hell has happened to this board? It is dead as a doornail. Very sad. I suppose this I why I don't come on here much anymore.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Yeah, this board is heavier with younger folks now who mainly care about cosmetic mods and pics and not so much performance. I personally believe performance before cosmetics is the way to go. Congrats on the new suspension and that was a great write up/review! I'm getting coilovers installed next week and I hope to experience the same excitement and enthusiasm as yourself! Congrats again man and since this is such a picture happy community, you should post at least one pic of your ride with the new suspension
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Very nice! Anything that you do to the new F10 in suspension makes it 10x better Now go to a race track and test out the cars potential
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jjsigpi
Yeah, this board is heavier with younger folks now who mainly care about cosmetic mods and pics and not so much performance. I personally believe performance before cosmetics is the way to go. Congrats on the new suspension and that was a great write up/review! I'm getting coilovers installed next week and I hope to experience the same excitement and enthusiasm as yourself! Congrats again man and since this is such a picture happy community, you should post at least one pic of your ride with the new suspension
Thanks and best of luck with the coilovers!! Yes this site is so quiet compared to 2009-10.

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport
Very nice! Anything that you do to the new F10 in suspension makes it 10x better Now go to a race track and test out the cars potential
Thanks! The F10 needs all the suspension help it can get. Stock sport suspension is mushy as hell.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sdg1871
...Transient response is greatly improved...

... I FINALLY feel again like I am driving a BMW...

This is a MUST HAVE mod.

Right on braddah!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Enjoy!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

We still have to try and get together to see you new car!... When will you be planning another one of your amazing driving meets?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Drove Scott's car yesterday for a couple of blocks. Have to say, this suspension really does turn the F10 back into a kind of BMW you want to drive. It has the responsiveness and the sharpness of a true handler, without losing the comfort and dare I say plushness of the F10. Really, truly a great mod! Congrats Scott! And thanks for returning my faith in the Fünfer
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Got some pics of the ride how it sits now? Sounds awesome

Quick Reply: DINAN SUSPENSION INSTALLED IN MY 2012 DINAN STAGE 2 550XI M SPORT!