F10, F11 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the F10. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone modded their DRL's to shine brighter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything is possible. John, the mad scientist is on the case. But then he says he needs a test car in the NYC area.

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I'm talking about the F10 with Xenons.

I agree that the DRLs are fairly bright but, to make them even brighter, could the LEDs not be replaced with ultrabright LEDs, or am I missing something?

Thanks - Roger
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

What I meant is any difference between the xenon headlamp's version of the angel eyes versus the halogen. For example, on the pre and LCI of E60, the angel eyes are different between the xenon and halogen headlamps.

Edit: Oops, just saw the posts above, hah.

Luigi: dang, that's quite a bit of difference between xenon and halogen. A lot a lot actually Sorry.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
What I meant is any difference between the xenon headlamp's version of the angel eyes versus the halogen. For example, on the pre and LCI of E60, the angel eyes are different between the xenon and halogen headlamps.

Edit: Oops, just saw the posts above, hah.

Luigi: dang, that's quite a bit of difference between xenon and halogen. A lot a lot actually Sorry.
Yea, it's a BIG difference!! that is precisely why I am hoping John can come up with fix!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

The f10 xenon model angel eyes leds are not built into the headlight. They are removable, each individual ring is powered with a set of led unit located underneath the rings. Not sure how the rings are powered for the halogen models, from the looks of it it looks like its powered with a halogen bulb?? Maybe Try opening up your headlight?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hi Guys:

New here so please be gentle if this has been discussed previously.

Wondering if anyone has worked out how to make the DRLs shine brighter?

Love the look of the large white LED DRLs on cars like Audi and Mercedes and wondered in we F10 owners can do anything to make ours more 'outstanding'?

Regards - Roger
I didn't realize that there were any USA F10s without the new (and sufficiently bright) angel eyes. Interesting...

Since you brought it up, I have to add that I really think the Audi and Mercedes LED DRLs look bad. I'm just not into the "string of pearls" look of multiple LEDs lined up next to each other. Hopefully BMW will never use that type of design -- the way they do it now is far superior!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by Rudy
I didn't realize that there were any USA F10s without the new (and sufficiently bright) angel eyes. Interesting...

Since you brought it up, I have to add that I really think the Audi and Mercedes LED DRLs look bad. I'm just not into the "string of pearls" look of multiple LEDs lined up next to each other. Hopefully BMW will never use that type of design -- the way they do it now is far superior!

LOL. Pearls.

Like this:

I need a test car of someone who IS WILLING to take risks and WANTING to make it brighter.

The LED is built INTO the headlight. I tried messing around with the xenon one.

The xenon F10 angel eyes are brighter than the halogen F10. They are both white LUCKILY. I just need to know how much more voltage I can push through those bad boys SAFELY.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
LOL. Pearls.

Like this:

I need a test car of someone who IS WILLING to take risks and WANTING to make it brighter.

The LED is built INTO the headlight. I tried messing around with the xenon one.

The xenon F10 angel eyes are brighter than the halogen F10. They are both white LUCKILY. I just need to know how much more voltage I can push through those bad boys SAFELY.
You sure John? I don't think they are built in. I had a f10 xenon headlight with the LED units taken off. The LED units are removable they sell replacement LED units.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&hg=63&fg=05

02 Repair kit for LED module 2 63127262731
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by r9ndy
The f10 xenon model angel eyes leds are not built into the headlight. They are removable, each individual ring is powered with a set of led unit located underneath the rings. Not sure how the rings are powered for the halogen models, from the looks of it it looks like its powered with a halogen bulb?? Maybe Try opening up your headlight?
May I ask how you know this? can you confirm this??

EDIT: Nevermind , just read the posts above.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi Guys:
Wondering if anyone has worked out how to make the DRLs shine brighter?
Regards - Roger
No need to.

I have the Xenons and the F10's DRLs are as bright as on the Audi's and M-B's.
I'm running on "0"-lights (no lights on) all the time, except when it's dark.
At least in the Nordic countries the lights are then on DRL-mode but the front side lights (leds) don't burn,
nore do the insturument lights.

I don't like the "Auto-mode", since the Xenon's goes on/off in tunnels and parking houses and way too early
when it's getting dark.

F10's with no-Xenons do not have as bright DLR's as the Xenons, and if one will even
brighter the Xenons, the lights will most likely melt or do other damage.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Ricracing
F10's with no-Xenons do not have as bright DLR's as the Xenons, and if one will even
brighter the Xenons, the lights will most likely melt or do other damage.
I think it's because the person has halogen, that's why he wants his to be brighter.

Also, your last sentence is not factual. The bulb in there, I don't know if it's halogen or LED, but either one, a bright LED replacement should theoretically give off less heat if the stock is halogen (for sure), or slight increase if stock is LED. The plastic don't melt so easily, they have much higher melting point than you are suggesting.

Quick Reply: Anyone modded their DRL's to shine brighter?