F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Sport package and Adaptive Handling package...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, did not come across in a few searches I did. When configuring an f10 on the bmwusa.com site with packages, listed are sport package and dynamic handling package separately.

per the f10 press release: ( http://forums.5serie...ase-us-version/ )

"...When equipped with the Sport Package, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan includes Adaptive Drive, which encompasses Driving Dynamics Control, Electronic Damper Control, and Active Roll Stabilization...."

and later on in the press release:

"...The new 5 Series can be equipped with a Sport Package that adds Adaptive Drive, which contains several key features.
? Driving Dynamics Control, introduced on the 2009 BMW 7 Series and Z4 Roadster, allows the driver to set the ride/handling/drivetrain behavior of the car through a single rocker switch on the center console. Adjacent to the E-shift lever or manual shift lever is the Driving Dynamics Control selector (logically, on the driver?s side). Driving Dynamics Control provides four standard settings that tailor vehicle behavior to different moods. The settings are Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+. Affected vehicle parameters include engine throttle response, transmission shift characteristics, power-steering assistance level, and Dynamic Traction Control mode (in the Sport+ setting).
? Dynamic Damping Control is an evolution of the Electronic Damping Control (EDC) that has been available on several BMW models. On the new 5 Series, Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) is combined with a slightly lowered (10mm) suspension. Dynamic Damping Control adjusts the shock absorbers to any level of firmness, quickly adapting to road conditions and the driver?s demands. Suspension control is always optimum for current road conditions, vehicle speed, and load. The shocks default to the softest appropriate setting for the vehicle?s speed, and when the vehicle encounters an irregular road surface, they adjust instantaneously to control ride motions, preserve ride comfort, and maintain adhesion to the road. The system is so fast that even at highway speeds the system can sense a pothole at a front wheel and adjust rear-wheel damping before it reaches the same pothole. Dynamic Damping Control is the first BMW system to vary the shock absorbers? jounce and rebound strokes (wheel moving upward and downward) both steplessly and independently; this capability results in a unique combination of desirable firmness (for handling) and excellent comfort on uneven road surfaces.
? Active Roll Stabilization. This high-tech system reduces body roll, popularly known as ?lean,? in cornering. It improves handling by virtue of better suspension geometry (wheel angles relative to vertical), but there is a psychological component as well: Drivers and passengers alike marvel at the ?flat cornering? that results from ARS. When the vehicle enters a corner or curve, or begins an avoidance maneuver, ?lateral acceleration? is generated. This is read by a sensor, which transmits a signal to the ECU. The ECU processes this signal and transmits it to the valve/sensor block. In turn, the valve/sensor block determines the hydraulic pressure applied to the anti-roll bars to control body roll...."

isn't all of the above the dynamic handling package? so why is it listed as a separate package and not included with the sport package, as stated in the press release? Or is the adaptive handling package something else? The bmwusa.com website almost makes it seem as if no handling/suspension enhancements are included with only the sport package, can someone please clarify?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Whoa, something has stumped the GeneOogle?!?!?! That's it the Mayan's were right - we're headed towards Armageddon
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

you better hurry up and get that e60 M5 then...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

it's been discussed and possibly answered (perhaps) on f10posts:

http://f10.5post.com...ad.php?t=361870

but does look like no suspension enhancement is included with the sport package alone
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
ObD
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

I think the Adaptive Handling bits originally were in Sport Package and then BMW separated them out. Might be due to the upcoming x-drive model roll out for buyers who want the sport cosmetics only or those who like the std soft suspension with the sport cosmetics. I personally would never buy a non-sport suspension-ed BMW. There are plenty of cheaper alternative brands aka Lexus.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ObD
I think the Adaptive Handling bits originally were in Sport Package and then BMW separated them out. Might be due to the upcoming x-drive model roll out for buyers who want the sport cosmetics only.
I was thinking the same thing, as with the x5 and x6 configurations, there is a sport activity package (no adaptive drive) and a sport package (with adaptive drive).

Again, the way BMW phrased the sport package in their press release and what they list on the site is a bit misleading IMO. A sport package that does not include sport suspension is meaningless. They should just name it as they did for the x5/6, sport activity package....
Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM
ObD
Contributors

The press release was from Jan and is old. BMW is always futzing with the packages to maximize their profit.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ObD
The press release was from Jan and is old. BMW is always futzing with the packages to maximize their profit.
fair enough and agreed, it's always the options/packages that get us

just wanted some reassurance my thought process was clear...thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
ObD
Contributors

Not many buyers go for the sport suspension and even less for the 6 MT. I'm hoping the M-sport pack will offer customizable handling with dynamic handling as in the M3. Handling close to a full M without the M5 price or insurance rates.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ObD
Not many buyers go for the sport suspension and even less for the 6 MT. I'm hoping the M-sport pack will offer customizable handling with dynamic handling as in the M3. Handling close to a full M without the M5 price or insurance rates.

that is why they probably won't offer customizable handling...