F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal

Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10, pro nav, auto,
Default F10 High Level Brake Light Removal

Hi

I like many others have an F10 (2013) and needed to remove the high level brake light for cleaning (insect haven !).
After searching around I found no answers, so after a little fiddling around I thought I'd post on how to do it... no special tools are required although a reasonable plastic trim tool would be better than a screwdriver ! It is a simple task once you know how.

I'll add a few photos to try and explain what I did and how.

First of all remove the roof line cover section that covers the rear light assembly - grab the rear most corner (one at a time) and pull down firmly whilst with the other hand holding the surrounding roof lining in place. It'll pop out with a little force and determination. Now do the same with the other corner. Once both are free gently pull the cover towards you and wiggle free the remaining four plastic tabs at the front of the cover. Again, with a little determination it'll come free. Place it to once side out of your way cloth side down on something clean !!!!

You'll see two electrical connectors, remove the small one only.

On either side of the light assembly you see two black plastic rectangular shaped clips. Insert a plastic trim tool to one side and lever it gently out towards the side of the car. It'll pop out. Same again with the other side using a free hand to catch the rear light.
Job done !

When re-assembling ensure both plastic tabs of the light assembly along the long edge are inserted before re-engaging the locking tabs on either end.

Good Luck !
Attached Thumbnails F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-1-before-after.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-2-inside-light-cover-roof.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-3-removing-clips.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-4-clips-coming-out.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-5-light-assembly-removed.jpg  

F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-6-light-assembly-off.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-7-replacing-light-assembly.jpg   F10 Third/High Level Brake Light Removal-8-replacing-liner-cover.jpg  

Last edited by drinksjdalot; 08-30-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: found out how to do it