F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 reliability -- better info ASAP

Old 10-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to report on new cars quickly then track them closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by BMW owners, with over 3,000 signed up. I'd very much like to provide initial reliability stats for the new F10 far ahead of other sources--just a matter of how quickly we can get enough owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the F10, for free. I'll share results for the F10 in this thread after each update.

To help make this happen:

Car reliability research
This website annoys me. It won't let me just look up a car and find out reliability on the car I pick from the list. I have to go through hoops. F that noise. Alt F4 on that page.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
This website annoys me. It won't let me just look up a car and find out reliability on the car I pick from the list. I have to go through hoops. F that noise. Alt F4 on that page.
I'm sorry this was your experience, and actually appreciate the feedback.

I intend for the site to work the way you expected it to work. If you go to the site, click "Reliability" either in the nav bar or on the home page, does it not work the way you suggest, with no hoops?

My guess is that you clicked on the link I have in the thread, which has information about participating in the survey. In this case, the only "hoop" is clicking on "reliability" in the nav bar. Though I do hope people will participate, because otherwise we'd have no information to provide.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Members

Very high rate of participation from everyone signed up so far. Thanks, guys. With just a few more participants we'll have initial results in February.

Car reliability research
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Members

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

21 cars now signed up, and I'm hoping to have an initial result in February. With 25+ participants we'd have a full result in May.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Members

We'll have an initial result next month. With just seven more participants we'd be able to provide a full result for the F10 with the following update, in May.

To help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool concept but would be cooler if you could make an Android app that we can just scan all the data into.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neoe60
Cool concept but would be cooler if you could make an Android app that we can just scan all the data into.
When participants first respond to a survey they specify the bodystyle, powertrain, and trim level. If an engine or drivetrain seems to have more repairs than others, we provide separate results. We've been doing this for many BMWs with the twin-turbo six because of the HPFP failures.

But these are the exceptions rather than the rule. In most cases powertrain problems are rare in the first few years of ownership, so it makes more sense to publish a single stat based on a larger, combined sample size.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Members

We have an initial reliability stat for the 2011 BMW 5-Series based on owner responses through December 31, 2010.

With a reported repair rate of 68 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the F10 is about average so far. Which isn't bad for a complex all-new luxury sedan.

The sample size is still small. We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

BMW 5-Series reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Members

We'll have a preview of the next quarterly update for participants later this week. Based on responses so far, most of which haven't been checked for errors, the stat will be improving a little, and will be based on enough data to remove the asterisk.

Thanks, guys.

Additional participants always helpful.

Car reliability survey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F10 reliability -- better info ASAP