F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 reliability -- better info ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to report on new cars quickly then track them closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by BMW owners, with over 3,000 signed up. I'd very much like to provide initial reliability stats for the new F10 far ahead of other sources--just a matter of how quickly we can get enough owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the F10, for free. I'll share results for the F10 in this thread after each update.

To help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Is it truly possible to gauge reliability for a car that has been on sale for maybe 6 months? I think you're expecting too much, any reliability figures would be skewed by historical data which doesn't really apply to an all new model with an all new line of engines. For real wold data you'll have to give it a couple of years.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

He is not going to pass judgement on the F10 based on several months worth of data. He tracks the cars for years. I signed up for my 545 and responded regularly until I got my 550...
Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Is it truly possible to gauge reliability for a car that has been on sale for maybe 6 months? I think you're expecting too much, any reliability figures would be skewed by historical data which doesn't really apply to an all new model with an all new line of engines. For real wold data you'll have to give it a couple of years.
This is a great question.

As pjinca notes (thanks!), the survey tracks cars continuously, with prompt updates every quarter. At three months we're very clear that this is only after three months, at six months it's after six months, at two years it's after two years...

I don't pretend to have a crystal ball, though the stats are steady from quarter to quarter more often than not.

The key advantage here is being able to report how cars are doing at any point with minimal lag. This survey's results can be (and currently are) over a year ahead of others.

One thing that might not be clear is that this survey, unlike others, collects data going forward. People who sign up today don't report on what's already happened, but what (if anything) happens from that point onward. So, while it's possible to start at any point, when the car is brand new is the best time to start.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

By the way mkaresh, do you intend to test drive and report on the F10?

Regards,
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rambaldi
By the way mkaresh, do you intend to test drive and report on the F10?

Regards,
I don't post reviews to my own site, because it's not supposed to be about my personal opinions. I did recently write a review of the F10 for thetruthaboutcars.com. The review contains my personal impressions of the car, and I fully accept that others often have different, equally valid opinions.

That review, though I certainly don't want this thread to become about it:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...535i-and-550i/
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I don't post reviews to my own site, because it's not supposed to be about my personal opinions. I did recently write a review of the F10 for thetruthaboutcars.com. The review contains my personal impressions of the car, and I fully accept that others often have different, equally valid opinions.

That review, though I certainly don't want this thread to become about it:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...535i-and-550i/
Thanks for sharing the link mkaresh. Don't worry, I won't post any comment about it here.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rambaldi
Thanks for sharing the link mkaresh. Don't worry, I won't post any comment about it here.
Feel free to start another thread on it, if you wish. I just want to keep this thread about reliability.

We are up to 7 F10s. More will of course be needed, but getting there.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

A few more owners have signed up, but more remain needed to provide some initial results for the F10.

Help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

Now 12 owners signed up. If we could double this we could have some initial stats in February.

Quick Reply: F10 reliability -- better info ASAP