F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Don't Kill Me, but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M-Sport, Carbon Black Metallic/Natural Brown

Was at that NYC autoshow on Saturday and was very excited to lay my eyes on the new 5. For some silly reason BMW had it behind glass railings so we couldn't get our grubby fingers all over it. I must admit, however, that I was less than blown away by the overall design. It's not a bad looking car at all, but I was hoping for more character, a bit more expressiveness. It's not completely bland and I like the hood and grills etc, but it really does look under-wheeled (and they had some big wheels on the 550) and somewhat plain jane. I wonder what the M-Tech kit would be like, but as is, I left doubting my previous plans to buy one once the lease on my 09 M-Tech runs out.

Anyone else feel the same? Different?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Actually I think your assessment is pretty much the consensus here. I like the overall styling of the car, but it does not "thrill" me yet - it does seem plain Jane. I (like you) look forward to the M-Tech/M-sport package to come and hopefully that will make it much more exciting
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Once Modded, it will be NICE!!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Check out the new '10 Honda Accord. It has the same little concave line running through the waist of the the car like the F-10, which in my opinion, is really the only significant body change on the new car.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pininfarina
Was at that NYC autoshow on Saturday and was very excited to lay my eyes on the new 5. For some silly reason BMW had it behind glass railings so we couldn't get our grubby fingers all over it. I must admit, however, that I was less than blown away by the overall design. It's not a bad looking car at all, but I was hoping for more character, a bit more expressiveness. It's not completely bland and I like the hood and grills etc, but it really does look under-wheeled (and they had some big wheels on the 550) and somewhat plain jane. I wonder what the M-Tech kit would be like, but as is, I left doubting my previous plans to buy one once the lease on my 09 M-Tech runs out.

Absolutely agree, I saw the new 5 here in the UK and my first impression was, well thats a bit bland, there was nothing that I loved and normally I love some part of the styling, I would never buy another non M Sport BMW so I like so many others hope this will change the look dramatically and I will love it but I will wait and see, otherwise its over to Audi who at least know how to make a contemporary, up to date beautifull interior (go and sit in a new A4 or A6 Sline) with decent leather, this Dakota rubbish is a joke, the grain is awfull for a premium brand, the dealer says it is harder wearing, funny how you can pay extra for nappa which is standard on an Audi. Also is it just me or is the interior design not very special either? Too much wood, the sports seats look great but the trim looks like something the older generation would like on a 7 series. The interior on my E60 is the part I dislike the most and what they have done does not seem good enough.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Wait 18 months and get the version with revised styling.

The interior and exterior will look much better once they get some customer feedback.

Styling will appeal to BRIC countries (Brazil, Russian, India, China) apparently, they are taking over the world even though their poluations are 98% illiterate peasants. No offence - just facts !
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by pininfarina

Check out this thread... https://5series.net/forums/topic/964...pril-3rd-2010/

A bunch of us (local members) were there and actually sat in the F10. You should come with us next year.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i M-Sport, Carbon Black Metallic/Natural Brown

Originally Posted by theXman
Check out this thread... https://5series.net/forums/topic/964...pril-3rd-2010/

A bunch of us (local members) were there and actually sat in the F10. You should come with us next year.

Great pics!! I will plan on it next year!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

F10 is conservative and not innovative like the E60.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by higher
Wait 18 months and get the version with revised styling.

The interior and exterior will look much better once they get some customer feedback.

Styling will appeal to BRIC countries (Brazil, Russian, India, China) apparently, they are taking over the world even though their poluations are 98% illiterate peasants. No offence - just facts !
I agree that BMW typically rolls out plain jane versions of new 5 Series and then amps up the styling later on in the life cycle. I think it is a stupid strategy but nonetheless that is what BMW does. I despised the looks of the initial E60s and ended up digging the car, particularly the LCI cars.

You are wrong about China. I spent 2 weeks there last year. Literacy is actually quite high there -- especially among the younger people (much less so with the older people educated before the 1980s). China still has a ways to go but it is making tremendous strides.

Originally Posted by pharding
F10 is conservative and not innovative like the E60.
I agree that the F10 is more conservatively styled than the E60. That's OK with me. I still think that the E39 was a better looking car than the E60 and the F10 really does look like a successor to the E39 (as many car mags have commented). Some of the 20 inch wheels for the F10 look really nice (I think that the 19s BMW has made for the car are ugly) and I bet that it will look killer with the M Tech kit.

Quick Reply: Don't Kill Me, but . . .