F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

1st PHYSICAL impression

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I was at a F10 launch event at one of a dealer located at Markham, Ontario tonight. Being a E60 and E70 Owner, when I seat inside the F10, I am VERY disappointed :thumbsdown: I thought the 3" extra wheelbase will become more space, I DON'T think so. I am 5'9 and if I adjust the driver seat to my like, I feel the back seat space just same as my E60. The instrument panel is just same as my E70. The front seat transmission center tunnel was more than 12-14' wide, it makes the front seat width even smaller than the E60.

Also, I hate the front nose , it just UGLY !!

The only thing I like is the rear light design, that's the best of F10,,, remember the famous E60 BUTT !

My 2cents, of course, I know it will be the best driver's car for driving, but.... the body design makes me feel
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thank you for sharing your thoughts...seems to be a consistent review of the f10...i'm still waiting to see an f10 up close and personal
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i think bmw could have done a better job on the hood. its too blunt.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Yes, the rear room is very disappointing especially when you know they are sharing the same platform as 7er :thumbsdown:
Surprisingly some UK mag said the room at the back is the biggest ever?!
Probably they only assume it by reading the figures from BMW.

The front end looks fine to me, but still no good compare to our E60
I will still keeping my E60 for few more years and lets see
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

I must say that I really like the new design with it's longer nose and wheelbase. Not as agressive as the E60 though.
Interiorwise the F10 is waay nicer than the E60 ever was.
Now it looks like a classy, modern car inside, still a bit minimalistic, but tasteful, dashboard (compared to what you'll find in a Audi - the guy who designed that car must have some kind of fetish for buttons and knobs). The new display unit between the dials is fantastic! The 8 speed auto is soo smooth. The sports seats are better. iDrive is a lot easier to navigate AND it is multilingual now - even Swedish

There's some bad stuff on the car too:
1. The bonnet/hood - It should have been more integrated with the front. But i guess that this is a give and take. BMW has to get 5 stars from Euro NCAP and that means that they had to put som extra effort in active safety for pedestrians(!?).
Hence the active bonnet/hood and the ugly gap between the hood and the front piece. My dealer said that the reason for the front being so vertical is because of the same reason - active safety.
2. Rear space/Leg room- For a car this big with the extra wheelbase, the rear space should have been noticeable larger.
3. Sports steering wheel - WTF! It looks like some silly leftover from the 7-series.
4. Some options should have been standard. I mean, you'll find rear folding seats in ANY other car today. Considering that it is a premium car I'd say that: HUD (for safety reasons), navi business and extended AC should also be standard issue.
5. RFT - I cannot understand why BMW still stick to RFT's?!

F10 is a very good looking car but if you compare to the concept coupe in the other thread... It's obvious that it could have done a better job.

Remember the ciriticism Chris Bangle got for his futuristic, minimalistic design that all of us here like so much.
I guess that we all will love this one too....I'll love mine when it arrives, that's for sure.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The blunt nose is driven by new EU pedestrian crash requirements. I am not surprised that the front seat is more narrow. The leg wells in the front seats also have to be narrower given the width of the center stack.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i think bmw could have done a better job on the hood. its too blunt.
European pedestrian safety regulations dictate the nose on new models (more or less). As to the room, this is meant to be a sports sedan. If you need more room, would you consider a 7?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Ugly ugly ugly
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

I have no idea why the F10 does not look half as good as the Gran Coupe concept shown at the Shanghai Auto show and to be revealed at the Paris Auto Show.

The Gran Coupe has all the design flair, style and sportiness I associate with BMW: i just cant drag myself to the dealership to order an F10 and am waiting for the M-Sport guise in July (UK) to see if i need to skip a generation.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi stockwell993, welcome aboard

As a long time BMW fan I did see the F10 at a VIP presentation in early February.
(See my input on this site).
At the time, my car looked then more like an moving iceberg than a car,
still my E60 functioned like an angel.

The F10's rear looks much better than the E60's,
but the front lacks the versatility that the E60 has.
Gone are the angel eyebrows etc.
"Need to save money in production".

The high front on the F10 is a must do to pedestrian safety and we city drivers
may even come to terms with that claim.
Compared with the truck look of BMW SUV's and the new 5GT, I love the F10's front end.
Just wait for the M-look for the F10.

A longer wheelbase is great for cruising and in the city I'm sure to manage it,
but the size of the F10 is close to a limit here in Europe.

The inside feels smaller than in the E60 do to safety and sound isolation.
Attached Thumbnails 1st PHYSICAL  impression-ygu-31-spring-4_09.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1st PHYSICAL impression