E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What roof box you prefer on E61?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E61 520dA Alpine White

Happy New Year members!
What roof box you prefer on your E61? Have you noticed noise difference between different makes & models?
I would be pleased to see pictures.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d touring 2006 M-sport, Mystic blau.

Originally Posted by Tommi' post='514069' date='Jan 6 2008, 01:06 AM
Happy New Year members!
What roof box you prefer on your E61? Have you noticed noise difference between different makes & models?
I would be pleased to see pictures.
Hi, I have two boxes, both Thule.

Bigger one is Thule atlantis 900, and smaller Thule evolution 500.
Both fit well on the roof. With narrower box I can put two bike racks too.

I have been driving couple of times through Europe with them. Maximum speed
I recommend is around 140km/h, after that you start to feel little bit unsecure and noisy...

Wind noise is not a problem with E61 and a box in Finnish higway speeds..

Sorry no pictures at the moment.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Hi and happy new year!

I have Packline Original Link to packline webpage

It's already a old one but I think it still looks as good, because it has classic, simple lines and painted surface is still glossy.

Packline and Mont Blanc roof racks does not add noise at normal highway speeds and I have not tested illegal speeds with box on the roof. Packline is made about glassfiber, so it should be more firm on higher speed.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Members

Forgot to say about pictures:

Thule has a nice tool on their webpages, where you can see how different boxes looks with your own Alpine white e61.

Thule Match maker
Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I also have a Packline Original. The glassfibre with gelcoat on top makes it look high quality. The Packline boxes are very water proof as well so it doesn't take in water when driving in bad weather.

I have driven 180 km/h without problems on the Autobahn. Remember to put all heavy things in the trunk of the car and the light packing in the box. 100 kg including box and rack is all that is allowed on the roof.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

This was the one I had on over the Christmas break:

I would have to say that while it was OK, it wasn't brilliant for my needs. It's designed for skiers and therefore is long and thin. Great for Skis, not so good for bags.

The last time I borrowed one, it was the full width of the car - allowing you to put two bags side by side in it. This one would only get one bag in leaving a lot of wasted space.

Still, as we borrowed it from my Brother in law, I can't really complain.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 520dA Alpine White

Thanks for your comments.

I have looked all of those you guys mentioned, and I guess I have to pick one of those. Thule has good looking boxes like Spirit, which I think suits best for E61, because of nice and sporty look. But as I really need it for cargo (bags and toys etc) Thules Atlantis 900 might be good choice (r.a.i. ) or Pacline Original 115 (Vesil & Gorban ). The problem with Packline is they dont have dealer in Finland, at least they told me so today. VESIL, if you know finnish dealer please tell me.
GORBAN, could you tell what does Packlines Original 115 in white cost in Sweden? I tried but haven't find any prices of that.

Kell, I agree your box is propably good for skies, but not so perfect for other family needs . Your car though looks perfect

Stay tuned! Tomorrow I will be back with photos of my new touring!!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by Kell' post='514723' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:29 AM
This was the one I had on over the Christmas break:

I would have to say that while it was OK, it wasn't brilliant for my needs. It's designed for skiers and therefore is long and thin. Great for Skis, not so good for bags.
Is that you daughter having just emerged from the roofbox saying how great it is to be back on terra firma?!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by Tommi' post='514791' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I have looked all of those you guys mentioned, and I guess I have to pick one of those. Thule has good looking boxes like Spirit, which I think suits best for E61, because of nice and sporty look. But as I really need it for cargo (bags and toys etc) Thules Atlantis 900 might be good choice (r.a.i. ) or Pacline Original 115 (Vesil & Gorban ). The problem with Packline is they dont have dealer in Finland, at least they told me so today. VESIL, if you know finnish dealer please tell me.
GORBAN, could you tell what does Packlines Original 115 in white cost in Sweden? I tried but haven't find any prices of that.

Kell, I agree your box is propably good for skies, but not so perfect for other family needs . Your car though looks perfect

Stay tuned! Tomorrow I will be back with photos of my new touring!!
Prices for Packlines vary a lot in Sweden. They are often sold by car dealers and during the winter season you can get good discounts. I bought mine, which is black and a Packline 90 I think, a year ago and payed 4495 SEK. That's really cheap and prices can go all the way up to 6000 SEK for the same box.

Here's a link in Swedish with prices:

http://www.caravania.se/takboxar/packline_nya.asp

Take a look at the Packline FXU series if you want a slimmer box which is more aerodynamic.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gorban' post='515010' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:53 AM
Prices for Packlines vary a lot in Sweden. They are often sold by car dealers and during the winter season you can get good discounts. I bought mine, which is black and a Packline 90 I think, a year ago and payed 4495 SEK. That's really cheap and prices can go all the way up to 6000 SEK for the same box.

Here's a link in Swedish with prices:

http://www.caravania.se/takboxar/packline_nya.asp

Take a look at the Packline FXU series if you want a slimmer box which is more aerodynamic.
My Packline is from Saab-dealer. The list price there is ridiculous, but with a car price was something else.

Take a look at marketplaces like Huuto.net and nettivaraosa.com. Sometimes You can find also brand new boxes from there and second hand box is also a good choice - better value for money definitely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What roof box you prefer on E61?