E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What did you do for your E61 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61
Model Year: 2010

Did a few things this week:
* DCI
* Phoenix CP / BoV
* JB4 Connect kit
* New (to me) Beyrn Mesh wheels
* Lux 160 angel eyes
* Gloss black led F10 side markers
* Oil change

I also ordered an antilag kit and paint for my orange bumper reflectors but haven't done anything with them yet.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Removed headlights drained water, hoping that the headlight comes back and the Adaptive Headlight Control malfunction clears. Placed control units in rice and headlight in small area with dehumidifier running all night......

While headlights are removed from car I sanded them with 350, 1200 and 2000 grit wet sanding. Not sure what the next best step is for hand sanding polishing method (no power tools).
Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by quattromeister
Removed headlights drained water, hoping that the headlight comes back and the Adaptive Headlight Control malfunction clears. Placed control units in rice and headlight in small area with dehumidifier running all night......

While headlights are removed from car I sanded them with 350, 1200 and 2000 grit wet sanding. Not sure what the next best step is for hand sanding polishing method (no power tools).
Hit them with 3000-5000 wet sanding sponge and then 3M rubbing compound, 3M headlight renewal compound, or another plastic refinisher (but the 3M rubbing compound is my favorite). This will be a lot of work by hand, but the final polishing with a liquid compound is really needed to bring out the shine.

If you're not planning to clear coat them and/or apply clear bra film (highly recommended), you'll want to apply a protective wax as well.

Last edited by GTYellowJacket; 10-23-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

Replaced the radiator in E61FUN.

On occasion I could smell coolant, but never a drip.

Perhaps prior-owner preventive maintenance would have prevented the problem, which looks to have been accelerated by gunk building up and corroding the lower runs.

After being special ordered and initially getting placed into a "corporate fleet" (via Carfax, and what may have been BMW of North America LLC in Oxnard, CA) my car lived it's second-owner life in/around Reading, PA. I had it shipped back to CA.

There isn't any rust or corrosion anywhere. But something sure ate through the radiator pretty quickly.

The condensor has been replaced (fins were laid over, blocking a fair amount of airflow in through the condenser and oil cooler and radiator), and now with a Burger oil thermostat bypass and the new radiator with correct coolant/water ratio, my oil and water temps have come down a bit on the JB4 gauges, thankfully.

Anyone ever run the Evans Waterless Coolant or equivalent?

A good BMW mechanic friend and I were conversing about the benefits and cooling potential of those types of fluids versus good old h2o and BMW coolant, mixed with a higher h2o ratio. He has configured a customer's full-race M3 with nearly 100% water and WaterWetter. They experienced lower water temps.

Their outlook is that due to the heavy use, and with engine teardown happening more frequently, corrosion and pump lubrication isn't the primary concern. Yet I don't want to tear down and replace parts that often. E61FUN isn't a race car. Yet.

My car travels between CA and AZ, so I am looking to improve the cooling efficiency, especially for when I run it harder. So I am on the hunt for aftermarket high capacity high-flow oil coolers and a thicker radiator that fit in the standard 535i engine bay location.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-radiator-leak-1.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-radiator-leak-2.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-radiator-leak-3.jpg  

Last edited by E61FUN; 10-24-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007
Default Replaced Forward Thrust Arms AKA Front Upper Control Arms

I didn't realize my front control arm bushings were shot until I was in for a tire rotation and we noticed some cupping on my front tires. Being as how I haven't had the tires that long I figured it'd be a good idea to get an alignment and that's when the worn bushings were discovered. PO had it done some time before 30K mi but I'm at 75K now and have hit many a pot hole around Atlanta since owning the wagon. So, I ordered some TRW control arms with bushings in them from OEMBimmerParts.com. Figured it was easier to just get a whole set of arms with bushings and maybe keep the original set of arms as spares (and have new bushings pressed in at some point in preparation for the inevitable in the futureI). The parts came in the day after ordered them! But, I didn't have time to deal with them till this weekend.

So, started off great...everything was gong along according to plans until it became clear that it would be impossible to reach the inner 18mm nut on the bushing bolt without an offset wrench. After a quick flight to Autozone, I was back at it. Both arms swapped out without a hitch....took advantage of having the car up to also replace the sway bar end-links which I have had sitting awaiting this moment for maybe a year now. I put on Moog end links since they have grease zerks and actual steel ball attachments. They're not as pretty as the stock ones but substantially more solid. I washed the wheels really well (wiped the insides and the lug bolt holes well) just because the wheels were off. Last, I gave the whole wagon a good wash. Today I'll get an alignment and hopefully that will be in for some time.....

....oh wait....I will need to be flushing the brake fluid soon....and probably having to re-fill my hydraulic lift gate fluid soon too.....dang!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-fullsizeoutput_1936.jpeg   What did you do for your E61 today?-img_6134.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-img_6135.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-img_6136.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-img_6138.jpg  

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM
JNJ
New Members

My Ride: 535xiT

Picked up the bav auto Walnut blast kit and am going to do it this weekend. Also picked up a set of 18x8/9 ASA AR1 wheels on the cheap with a square 245/40/18 to atleast drive on til I can make up my mind on what wheels I'll run. The ASA will become my winter set up
Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JNJ
til I can make up my mind on what wheels I'll run.
Have a set of VMR V710FF wheels mounted with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, if you are interested:

Wheels...
FRONT: 19 x 8.5 ET45 - Gunmetal
REAR: 19 x 9.5 ET45 - Gunmetal
Also have 19 x 9.5 ET22, if you've done the M5 rear hub swap.

Tires...
FRONT: 245/40ZR19 nearly new
REAR: 275/35ZR19 half thread left
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-newly-mounted.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-car.jpg  

Last edited by E61FUN; 10-24-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM
JNJ
New Members

My Ride: 535xiT

How much?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JNJ
How much?
I will send you a pm.

I also have the original set of 18" M-Sport wheels with Michelin PS2 radials that came with my wagon, in good condition... and a nice set of 17" TSW Brooklands in matte black wrapped with nearly new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires that came off my 3er wagon.

Last edited by E61FUN; 10-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 E61 White

Interested in the VMR wheels as well, please PM me. Tx

Quick Reply: What did you do for your E61 today?