E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Trunk flooded; Massive electrical problems - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT
Default Trunk flooded; Massive electrical problems - need help!

The trunk of my 2008 535xi wagon flooded, and burned out the air compressor for the self-levelling suspension. I replaced that, and it works, but there are a litany of problems remaining:

1. Windows roll down on their own at random, car running or not. (Maybe PDC module or door actuator, suspect PDC if that's related??? b/c it was in the trunk and got flooded?)

2. Power liftgate releases the latch (powered) but won't lift the tailgate.

3. Mirrors fold without asking them too, turn up/down at random (like the windows)

4. Car doesn't remember what time it is between ignition cycles (battery needs replacing but is not dead and was on a trickle charger during ignition on/testing, but below 12.5 volts)

I can't find info on the codes because there are a bunch of 'unknown' codes that don't seem to translate to anything. When I first ran the Carly software (via iphone) I initially had something like 67 failure codes, which I cleared, and then there were about 14 error codes.

I then cleared the codes, started the car and re-ran the Carly diagnostics, and got down to 7 error codes. One of which is for the DSC which is 'off' due to another error related to a broken gear in the transfer case actuator motor (pre-existing problem before the rain - AWD doesn't work).

The codes, though, have no clear 'diagnostic' value, as the are just codes without much definition (can't find a list anywhere on the web).

Can anyone help?

Here are the bad codes:

1. ABS / DSC / Brake:

Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC: [related to pre-existing transfer case actuator motor problem]
- Fault: :Transfer case / Transmission ECU Failure / Clutch is in the open position - rear wheel drive - Transfer Ec / distributor gear fault
- Code: 005F3A

3. Transmission Control: [actuator motor gear is broken]

Transmission / Getriebesteuerung:
- Fault: Fracture Mechanics
- Code: 005463

NO IDEA ON THE BELOW:

4. Instrumentation:

Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument:
- Fault: RDC failure
- Code: 00A3C3
- Fault: Terminal shutdown
- Code: 00A559

10. Sunroof / Roof:

Sunroof / Schiebedach:
- Fault: K LOW CAN error
- Code: 00DA04

12. Seats:

Seats / Sitze:
- Fault: Bus cable fault
- Code: 00E444

13. Systems:

Center-Konsole:
- Fault: Sun rollo: Motor defekt
- Code: 009FE4
Old 01-04-2017, 04:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 e61 535ix LCI
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N54

First of all that's awful news. What would be helpful is if you were able to identify where the water came in the car?. I would truly appreciate that info so I can check and be sure both my wagons don't suffer this tragedy.... Thanks J
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by Johntee540
First of all that's awful news. What would be helpful is if you were able to identify where the water came in the car?. I would truly appreciate that info so I can check and be sure both my wagons don't suffer this tragedy.... Thanks J
Apparently the sunroof drain, although I'm not sure how; I removed the caps at the end of the lines so the line is free-flowing without the little grommet 'drain' valve, as people advise. Somehow it still filled with water. It came in through the battery side (tray above battery was full of water, as well as the tire compartment (enough to submerge the electronics).

Anyone have any idea on the electronics?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535ixT
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Sarge
Apparently the sunroof drain, although I'm not sure how; I removed the caps at the end of the lines so the line is free-flowing without the little grommet 'drain' valve, as people advise. Somehow it still filled with water. It came in through the battery side (tray above battery was full of water, as well as the tire compartment (enough to submerge the electronics).

Anyone have any idea on the electronics?
In most cases like this, those electronics need replacing. I would try to find used modules from a junk yard, online etc. Possibly open them up to dry? But if they had power when it happened, probably bad.

The previous owner of our 08 had the exact issue, $4873 on the repair invoice for module replacement. They managed to get the BMW dealer to take it on trade towards a new 5. We bought the car and immediately relocated the modules away from the spare tire area.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Members

Page 6 post 134

Sunroof Drain Clog - Flood - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Also described, drill hole at bottom of wheel well
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi Sportwagen
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

That royally sucks.

Once you replace that computer module in the wheel well, I would recommend new tail light seals.

I also pulled the plugs off the hoses and still had water coming in. Replacing the tail light seals fixed the problem in our 530XI.

Jose
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Unfortunately this seems to be a chronic problem on the E61. In the thread that obiwan posted you'll see a long list of people this issue had happened to. SInce there are so few E61 vehicles BMW never acknowledged this issue so each owner seems to get burned eventually.

The damn sunroof drains are just designed very badly and seem to get clogged if the car sits for a long time in the rain.

I'm going through this exact issue right now and the cost for resolution is over 7K to replace all the modules and re-pin the wires.

My suggestion to you is to elevate the modules as high as possible, relocated ot the drivers side rear area and wrap them with a waterproof material. Also make sure there are drain holes in both the spare well and battery area. You want to eliminate any chance of standing water accumulating in the hatch area.

Look at post #2 here.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...te-mpm-126433/
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I used to test all 4 of my drains before the rain season started by pouring a cup of water at each corner of the sunroof cassette, And placing a similar sized cup below the drain hose, and watch how much water came out and how quickly, to determined if any of the lines were plugged or not