E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the posts from the other topic on the rear air suspension, it seems that this is a common failure on the earlier cars. I-drive has started to warn me that all is not well with my rear! At the moment i think that the pump is on it's way out, but not had a total failure yet. Looking at my pump, I noticed that it seems to have the common failure to the intake hose cracking and allowing debris in. Rather than replace the whole pump (and relay if fitting the later pump) there must be a way of replacing the seals or whatever has worn in the compressor unit - after all, the motor is working OK so why replace everything?.

So my question at last is: Has anyone got a broken pump lying around that I could have to dismantle and see if they can be repaired please?

I photograph and write for car magazines, so if it is feasible to repair the pump, it would make a nice feature and save a lot of owners a lot of money (myself included!)

As an aside, I have also had to fix the tailgate wiring, replace front suspension control arms, EGR thermostat, and airbag light warning is on. Sorry to moan, but I think the E39 models were better built. (also have E39 on 288k miles). Don't mention swirl flaps either! Michael. Visit My Website
Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 530xi sw

Hi Whitestone.

Local dealer replaced the air pump in March, the code is: 3722011500 - Air supply system for air suspension permanent failure.

Dealer replaced the whole pump, instead of repairing the seals or washers. I can't have the defective parts, so I can't help. I think BMW does this to save time, time is money for them, you know.

BTW, you have E39 with 288K miles - How much do you drive daily???
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by master' post='885746' date='May 21 2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Whitestone.

Local dealer replaced the air pump in March, the code is: 3722011500 - Air supply system for air suspension permanent failure.

Dealer replaced the whole pump, instead of repairing the seals or washers. I can't have the defective parts, so I can't help. I think BMW does this to save time, time is money for them, you know.

BTW, you have E39 with 288K miles - How much do you drive daily???
Thanks for reply Master.

Used to be 50 k a year when work was a plenty, but now a lot less as magazines are using photographers more local to the features.

I appreciate that the dealer will change the whole pump (motor and compressor), but when the car is out of warranty, over ?600 for a new pump is too much. Hence the reason I would like to take one apart to see if they can easily be mended.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525DSE Auto Touring. 2004 54 plate Metalic saffire Black, Active Steering. 18 Inch Style 124 Alloys, falken 452s Beige Leather Dark Poplar Wood Trim xenon bulb upgrade blutooth phone prep

finnished work early yesterday so decided to have a quick look over car
whilst looking under car remembered post about air pump so decided to
have a closer look, so took cover off it was full of gravel and muck
i got a hold of the rubber pipe to see if it was secure and it snapped
off next to the clip leaving only the clip and about 4mm of
pipe connected, which i removed
i had to cut the end of the pipe about another 5mm then reconnected
and put on a new clip, hope pump will be ok, dont know if it was leaking
beforehand had no warnings and it seems to work fine, fingers crossed
Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I am getting a CF rear bumper diffuser installed on Tuesday (requires removing the rear bumper). I will have them check this evil, rubber pipe and replace it if it is bad shape.

Preventative action!
Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='887446' date='May 23 2009, 08:14 AM
I am getting a CF rear bumper diffuser installed on Tuesday (requires removing the rear bumper). I will have them check this evil, rubber pipe and replace it if it is bad shape.

Preventative action!

Would make sense to check it. Let me know if corroded please?

Michael.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I had the CF diffuser installed today, and once that was completed, we checked the compressor issue.

Sure enough, the tray under the compressor was full of mud, gravel, sand and some other road grime. Better yet, the dreaded compressor hose needs replacing. Otherwise, everything looked fine - no corrosion to speak of.

The service department did not have this hose in their inventory, so it is coming from Germany later this week. Then I will have it replaced.

Preventative action is key.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='890261' date='May 26 2009, 12:43 PM
I had the CF diffuser installed today, and once that was completed, we checked the compressor issue.

Sure enough, the tray under the compressor was full of mud, gravel, sand and some other road grime. Better yet, the dreaded compressor hose needs replacing. Otherwise, everything looked fine - no corrosion to speak of.

The service department did not have this hose in their inventory, so it is coming from Germany later this week. Then I will have it replaced.

Preventative action is key.
Good work - will take your advice and do the same check this weekend.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='890292' date='May 26 2009, 02:51 PM
Good work - will take your advice and do the same check this weekend.
Good idea.

If you can get the car up in the air, you should be able to remove the 5-7 screws that hold the plastic cover/tray in place, and then pull the cover/tray off. And you really do need to have the car elevated so that you can get a good look at the hose.

Mine is fraying at both ends where the retaining clips hold it in place.

My new hose will be here on Thursday.

Oddly, until a awhile ago, it was not possible to order JUST the hose. You had to buy the entire unit, hoses, clamps, clips and all. 810 Euros + installation.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='890300' date='May 26 2009, 02:05 PM
Oddly, until a awhile ago, it was not possible to order JUST the hose. You had to buy the entire unit, hoses, clamps, clips and all. 810 Euros + installation.
... maybe it's a result of the re-design last year that they now only need to supply a lot of hoses instead?

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures