E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring Buyers Guide E61?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and read through a lot of the posts, fantastic!! - looks like a great place to garner information on DIY and also ownership experiences.

I havn't been able to locate any buyers guides to a pre-owned vehicle though.

As a buyer I have seen that there are two major potential things one needs to check but I'd like to see if you can all give me some input here by adding more items perhaps:

1. Tailgate wiring loom - most people seem to be fixing this themselves by cutting and resoldering wiriing. Is this the only way ?
2. Self levelling pump failure (due to tube becoming brittle and allowing gunk into pump)

also a few other questions:
- What is the difference between Business Nav and professional Nav ?
- Does the rear glass pop up automatically with the remote or is it a manual only operation ?
- Is the stacker in the dash or in the glovebox ?
- The dash unit had a NAV DVD inside when I hit eject - can this ben changed to a disk unit ? I have seen that there is a model that stores musc off your CD's ? Also - iPod integration into these cars - easy or not possible?
- Does the NAV option include TV as well or seperate - can it be added post delivery ?

Thanks all for your help and I hope to have a Touring in the driveway within the next month or so!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Welcome.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about all aspects, but I'll answer what I can.

1. Tailgate wiring loom - most people seem to be fixing this themselves by cutting and resoldering wiriing. Is this the only way ?

I've just taken mine to an independent who originally quoted me £335 for a repair or £800+ for a new loom. As it happens, when they looked at it, it was only a couple of wires broken, so the final bill was two hours labour - £166. As they're independent, they were happy to cut, solder and fix it rather than replace which is what BMW would do.

- What is the difference between Business Nav and professional Nav ?
Business Nav is not map based, it only has arrows. It will tell you which road to take and show which general direction it is, but won't show you.

- Does the rear glass pop up automatically with the remote or is it a manual only operation ?
Unsure, but I thought manual only - this may be different on car with powered tailgates.

- Is the stacker in the dash or in the glovebox ?
In the very back of the glovebox. Certainly isn't reachable from the driver's seat.

- The dash unit had a NAV DVD inside when I hit eject - can this ben changed to a disk unit ? I have seen that there is a model that stores musc off your CD's ? Also - iPod integration into these cars - easy or not possible?
Most cars can take iPod integration but you lose the CD functionality.

- Does the NAV option include TV as well or seperate - can it be added post delivery ?
It's separate from the Sat Nav and is called (on ours at least) the Media package. It's an expensive and, in my opinion, worthless option. But I guess anything can be added later on - if you're prepared to pay someone to do it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

That's OK. Don't mention it.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Kell
That's OK. Don't mention it.

A pat on your own back doesn't hurt!